Do you actually like English as a language?

Popandopala   Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:26 pm GMT
This question is addressed to people who know other language(s) for the reason of being able to compare one to another.
Rodo1   Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:07 am GMT
Yes I like it very much.
Reason being that grammar is relatively simple. The only problem is the huge amount of word that we need to learn to acquire a good level of expressivity .

The capacity to express feeling is related to the mastery of the language, any language.
tesla   Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:43 am GMT
what kind of question is it
if one doesn't like a language it is almost impossible for them to learn it
seriously who would bother to put all that effort into it
I know it's improving life and all but the real reason that we do this is because it's fun. We enjoy doing this. And I think it 's a fairly easy language to learn or maybe I say this because I've learned English since kindergarten I don't know.
hye mae   Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:10 am GMT
I learn many languages so it's just my opinion but english is not my favorite language, I prefer german.

Yes, yes I know many english speaker will say "wtf? german is ugly!!!", but I don't care. And I don't really care about english language too.
Guest   Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:23 pm GMT
Short answer: No.

I simply put my mind on the money and had to learn English because I need it, it is required in all decent works here in Europe, but in reality I hate the English language. I'm aware of the fact that this hostility maybe prevents me from really mastering English but to be honest I didn't choose this language so I don't care as long as I can read technical literature (computer science to be more precise)in English. Appart from the linguistic skill itself, I'm not interested in the English literature or other cultural aspects of the English speaking world. Appart from this forum, I don't interact in my life with English speakers so I don't need high level of fluency, as I said, it's enough for me to understand writen English. In my opinion English is onomatopeic and viciously ugly. Also I don't like the English native speakers, specially those who live in England. One of the reasons is that they believe that they are still the center of the Universe whereas if English is important nowadays it's due to the Americans and not them. I bet that the person who started the "English is the best language" thread is an English drunkard or a silly pregnant English teenager.
blanc   Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:31 pm GMT
Guest your native language must be Spanish....There are people much more intelligent than you.... "appart from" IoI
English drunkard   Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:45 pm GMT
onomatopeic? Wrong spelling. Are you pissed?

Onomatopoeic or onomatopoetic
Guest   Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:46 pm GMT
Do you correct me because I used "appart from" twice or just because of the extra "p"? Man, that's a minor mistake really but as I said, my level of English is already more than enough for my diary necessities. Currently I'm reading a book called ·computer graphics, principles and practice in C" and I can understand practically everything with ease. From time to time I have to pick up the dictionary to look up some words, but not many. After 10 years of studying English, I decided that I will not waste my time on the mastery of this language because one needs genuine interest in the English language and culture and it's simply not my case . I can't do anything to change it. Maybe I'll give a try to Italian, which is the language that really appeals to me culturally speaking.
Damian London SW15   Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:31 pm GMT
***Also I don't like the English native speakers, specially those who live in England. One of the reasons is that they believe that they are still the center of the Universe***

Yes, they do tend to think that England is the centRE of the Universe don't they, but listen up here, pal - when you really get to know them the English are really quite nice, they truly are, especially if they're neither drunk nor pregnant....they're too difficult to control then.

I adore the English now that I'm living amongst them, and whenever they bang on about England being the centRE of the Universe I just smile and inform them they are so very wrong - the true centRE of the Universe is somewhere half way between Auchtermuchty and Killicrankie - that shuts them up good and proper and they become normal again - quite pleasant in fact. As I say I might, justmight, marry one one day...I already have my sights set....my date for tonight.
Damian London SW15   Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:36 pm GMT
PS: Yes, I suggest you ditch dull, dreary, dismal, depressing English and go all Italian instead as you propose.....it's so much more passionate, and at the same time you can exercise your hands for all you're worth so you can pass for a native given a little time.

Ciao!
Guest   Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:14 pm GMT
Don't be jealous, consider instead that I've spent too much time of my life learning a language that I don't like, but one is practically forced to study it whether he likes English or not .The rest of languages also deserve to be studied. Aside from Italian German also looks interesting, a truly Germanic language instead of a messy creole.
blanc   Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:13 pm GMT
pass for a native given a little time

No one can pass for a native inItaly even after 20 years, believe me
Guest   Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:28 pm GMT
Italian is much easier for a Romance speaker than English and more pleasant sounding. Nobody pretends to pass for a native when he learns another language, unless he lives in the country where that language is spoken.
blanche   Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:37 pm GMT
You're right guest Spanish and French people can generally speak wonderful Italian.. Obviously I'm kidding :-)
Guest   Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:47 pm GMT
Already I've have mastered how to gesticulate in Italian. That's the most difficult part. (I'm kidding obviously :-) ).