Overthinking: A Barrier to Fluency?

K. T.   Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:36 am GMT
Some people are afraid to speak another language because people will laugh at them. This isn't gender-specific. Think about it. Unless you are a comedian, you don't want the laughs in this way.

Other people don't want to speak unless they can control their speech-no mistakes, basically.

I'm sure some of you have heard the speaker who speaks so carefully that it sounds robotic.

"I-am-pleased-to-meet-you. Please-insert-batteries-so-I-may-move-to-level-2-speaking."

It's difficult and indeed painful for those of us who analyze and aim for perfection to get out there and make the almost inevitable errors we will make on the road to fluency.

I am going to offer my suggestions to breaking the barrier. Please add your suggestions and stories if you like. Any language commonly used at Antimoon is okay.

a. Don't care. Don't be sloppy, but don't take the laughs as a reason to see a psychaitrist. You are tough. You can take a few laughs.

b. Some people laugh because they are nervous. This happens in Japan, as one example. It may not be what you said, it may be how a high school girl reacts in her group.

c. Ask politely and find out if you said something unusual and ask for the correction.

d. Read up on the customs and culture of the countries where your target language is spoken. You may say something correctly, but what you say may be taboo.

e. Think of other ways to say something if you forget a word.

f. Practice ahead of time. Have an introduction, basic greetings down.

e. Saying something dumb now can be a good story for later.
K. T.   Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:37 am GMT
Suggestions FOR breaking the barrier.
J.C.   Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:22 am GMT
Interesting topic.

I'm glad I'm a "cara-de-pau" (deadpan) by nature and never worry and get discouraged if people laugh at me because that might mean that they don't know any foreign language or don't know how hard it is to speak another language.

In Japan the biggest barrier to learning a language could be the "nails sticking out must be hit" attitude, whereby the Japanese only want to start speaking when they've "mastered" the grammar and everything, which means they will NEVER start speaking.

I like the proverb "Failure is the root of success"(I wish the Japanese used this for languages) because there's no better way to learn than by trying, failing then figuring out how to improve.

Let's be bold and keep on learning!!!
trululu   Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:17 am GMT
The greatest barrier is the fact that when speaking someone you naturally speak the language which facilitates communication the best. Living in an English-speaking country, that means I speak with immigrants who speak English, in most cases better than me. It's really tough to make someone climb over the gate when the gate is not locked, if you get my drift...
trululu   Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:19 am GMT
<<that means I speak with immigrants who speak English, in most cases better than me>>

*who speak English better than I speak their language