Some Interesting Interviews With Polyglots

K. T.   Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:09 pm GMT
http://www.helpwithstudy.com/iversen-interview.html

I didn't see any restrictions about sharing this, so I thought that some Antimooners would enjoy this. This is just one of about four interviews.
After you read it, scroll to the end of the page, to click for more interviews. I'm not trying to show preference. This is just the first interview in the group.

After reading this, it made me regret that I didn't choose Danish.

You can see that there are all kinds of polyglots. Some choose a variety of languages and some had the languages partly chosen for them by circumstances.

After I read the lady's interview, I wondered if her situation (indeed, the circumstances of many interpreters and translators) could be improved by joining interpreter groups that share job information.
K. T.   Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:25 pm GMT
Opportunities for Polyglots

http://www.ineverylanguage.com/join_us.htm

Open to translators in the US and Europe. Don't know about Asia yet.
A variety of languages, areas are needed.

I do not work for this company. There is another company, a "secret" one that translators and interpreters use, but I'll have to look for the address. An interpreter gave me the info last year.

I hope this helps some Antimooners.
J.C.   Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:27 pm GMT
Thanks for the interesting links. Seeing people speaking so many languages reminds me that it is possible to keep learning if we work hard.

I was impressed specially by Moses, who is really doing a great job at learning languages. Unfortunately I don't know even one third of the languages he knows in order to give an opinion. :)

I liked his Japanese, even though I think he could speak even better if he didn't mix formal and informal language so it can sound more natural.I also liked his Chinese and Korean. I wonder if he writes in these languages.

His Russian sounded very natural for me. Apparently he was having difficulties in Arabic, which isn't surprising given the number of "r"s in the language. Either way, he´s IMPRESSIVE!!

One thing got me startled, though. How can he get motivated for learning?
I don't see myself learning Thai, Cambodian, Indonesian,Hindi because I have no interest in the countries and don't feel the languages will be useful for working neither know people who speak them so I can practice. Some languages I got interested in was because I had friends from the country where they are spoken like Sweden and Finland (want to study Swedish and Finnish again soon). The only language I studied out of the blue was Swahili but don't know if I will do it again because I have no plans of going to Africa...

Does anybody has an input about Moses?

Cheers!!
J.C.   Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:34 pm GMT
@K.T

Thanks for the company link. My resume has already been sent and I hope they'll send me some work :)
Should you be able to find the "secret" company don't forget to post it here.

Já passou da hora de dormir...são quase 5 da manhã...

FUI!!
K. T.   Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:59 pm GMT
J.C.,

I'm not sure if I can link this, but add "www." to "pro2.com"-you can bid on translating jobs there, I was told (by an interpreter).

I wanted to add this before I go on "sabbatical" from antimoon. I hope this helps.

Heck, I could probably learn Vietnamese in the time I waste here.
J.C.   Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:19 pm GMT
@K.T

Thanks again for an interesting link.

"Heck, I could probably learn Vietnamese in the time I waste here."

I have been telling myself the same these days and downloaded a lot of
stuff for studying Russian, Korean, Chinese and Dutch.

I think it's time to become a hyperpolyglot or hyper troglodyte :)

I know you don't like to share your information but if you decide to
split for a while and want to talk about languages please send me an e-mail @ ohgloria(at)plala.amber.co.jp

I'm a translator so I ALWAYS protect people's information :D

Deus te abençoe!!
Hope this helps you!   Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:36 pm GMT
J.C.,

K. T.'s source is ProZ.com, not pro2.
J.C.   Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:55 pm GMT
@ Hope this helps!

I was suspecting that too because I have an account at proZ.com

Thanks for confirming it :)

It's almost 5 am...