How do you address your mother?

Nick   Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:22 am GMT
I'd be interested to hear people's views on this
Brennus   Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:30 am GMT
Most languages have formal ways of addressing ones mother like "Dear mother" and informal ways like "Mom", "Mum", "Mommy", "Mummy" "Mama", "mama mia" 'mutti" etc. That seems to be almost universal in languages.
Adam   Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:16 am GMT
The Americans use mom, the English and Welsh use mum, the Scots use ma, and the Geordies use mam.
Travis   Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:27 am GMT
For referring to mothers in general, in the NAE dialect here, "mother" is the formal term, "mom" is the normal term in everyday speech, and "mommy" is a diminuitive used at times by almost invariably younger kids.

For referring to one's own mom, "mother" is very formal and may have negative connotations in various usages, "mom" is the normal term used, and "mommy" is likewise used by primarily younger kids, albeit more frequently than when referring to mothers in general. Furthermore, as a form of address or when speaking in the presence of one's own mother, "mother" is markedly negative in connotation and generally has a rather derisive tone in such usages.

One note though is that one can effectively replace "mother", "mom", and "mommy" with "father", "dad", and "daddy" here, and all of the above still applies as such.
Larissa   Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:37 pm GMT
Bitch
Jim   Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:26 pm GMT
Mummy always never mum or mother
Laura Braun   Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:28 pm GMT
mamo, majko, maiche, mami, maichice.
Pravi   Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:44 pm GMT
<<Bitch >>
?????
Rick Johnson   Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:16 pm GMT
I would say Mum, but some people around Manchester say Mam. In Wigan people call their mother "Mam" and call their Grandmother "Mum". People in the South of England say Mumsie- OK, maybe not all of them.
Jim   Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:39 pm GMT
I think mumsie wouldn't be liked by my mother who has always preferred Mummy and I'm only used to referring to her as that. I guess it's more endearing than mum or mother and sounds more pleasant.
Mumby's boy   Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:46 pm GMT
I usually call my mother 'mumby' well just to piss her off actually =)

For other times I call her 'mum' or 'mummy' if I'm wanting something.
Ed   Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:04 pm GMT
<<mamo, majko, maiche, mami, maichice. >>

What language is that?
Larissa the russian slut   Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:21 pm GMT
My mother is (well was, since she died because she drank deodorant) I used to call her a crack whore. Which is identical to how my kids call me!

Why? Because I am!!! :-)
Guest   Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:31 pm GMT
you go bitch!
The Real Larissa   Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:31 pm GMT
The post above wasn't me. Though I'm a slut who sucks Putin's dick for a couple of Rubbles so I can get me a couple of cans of deodorant.