Easier time than I have/do

Tom   Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:49 pm GMT
"I think you will have a much easier time making friends than I have"
"I think you will have a much easier time making friends than I do"

Are both okay?
John   Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:26 pm GMT
In my opinion, both are OK. In the first case, you have in mind your past experiences and in the other your current situation.
Gillette   Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:25 pm GMT
Both sound just a tad awkward for me. I would say "than me". I suspect most folks would.

Then again, it depends on what you're trying to say. I can think of 3 possible fixes: "than I will", "than I had", or "than I did".
The Observer   Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:57 pm GMT
<<Are both okay?>>

Both are perfect.
reply   Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:37 am GMT
C'mon, this is basic grammar:
"you will have ...", "I will have ..."
so "I think you will have a much easier time making friends than I will"
Uriel   Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:02 pm GMT
Actually, all are correct.

I think you will have a much easier time making friends than I have-- speculating on your possible future versus my past experience

I think you will have a much easier time making friends than I do--
speculating on your possible future versus my present experience

I think you will have a much easier time making friends than I will/would--
speculating on your possible future versus my possible future
Leasnam   Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:18 pm GMT
<<I think you will have a much easier time making friends than I will>>

I would go with the above because it keeps everything in the same tense (i.e. I think you will have a much easier time making friends than I will [have])
Guest   Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:19 am GMT
I see some ambiguity in the first sentence (the one with "have"). "have" could be interpreted as simple present or as an abbreviation for "have had".

If you say "I think you will have a much easier time making friends than I have had.", clearly you are comparing your listener's possible future to your own experience up until the present. This is the interpretation I see everyone taking.

On the other hand, if you interpret "have" as being simple present, then the two sentences have identical meaning.
Achab   Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:50 am GMT
Uriel,

How about the other fixes put forth by Gillette?

"I think you will have a much easier time making friends than I had."

"I think you will have a much easier time making friends than I did."

Quizzically,

Achab
K. T.   Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:51 am GMT
"I see some ambiguity in the first sentence (the one with "have"). "have" could be interpreted as simple present or as an abbreviation for "have had"."

Yes, I noticed that as well.
Uriel   Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:56 pm GMT
Achab, those work too. All kinds of ways to skin that cat!
Tom   Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:26 pm GMT
Thanks for your answers.

"I think you will have a much easier time making friends than I have had." - here, I'm talking about my past experiences

If I wanted to talk about my present experiences, could I use any of the following:

"I think you will have a much easier time making friends than I'm having."
"I think you will have a much easier time making friends than I do."
"I think you will have a much easier time making friends than I have."
The Observer   Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:30 pm GMT
<<If I wanted to talk about my present experiences, could I use any of the following:>>

[insert the following here]

Yes.
Achab   Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:42 pm GMT
Here's a recap:

_I think you will have a much easier time making friends than I had/did._ ···speculating on your future versus my own past···

_I think you will have a much easier time making friends than I have._ ···speculating on your future versus my own present/past···

_I think you will have a much easier time making friends than I do._ ···speculating on your future versus my own present···

_I think you will have a much easier time making friends than I will/would._ ···speculating on your future versus my own future···

With my best wishes,

Achab
John   Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:25 pm GMT
I'd go with:
"I think you will have a much easier time making friends than I do."

The first sentence is not correct, and the third one talks mostly about your past experiences.