some one please help clarify this sentence for me

bennito   Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:51 pm GMT
A customer calls to ask if "i have got any appointments for...(time)". I m working at a spa and my responsibilities include answering the phone and greeting customers. My understanding to that question was if i didnt have any appointments at that particular time then our customer should be able to make one ( Example, between 9 - 10 am there is no appointment, therefore, a customer can make one at any point of time between 9 - 10 am

My response to a customer was "no we havnt got any appointments, however, his/her understanding was that I couldnt make any appointments for them during that time...I had to explain to them twice what I meant by that..but they were even more confused by my explanation..lol...well, i m a student working in Australia..my English isnt that bad or great either..but this is by far the most confusing english expression for me

comment please
Guest   Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:11 am GMT
Just say "9 to 10 A.M. is free." or something like that.
Another Guest   Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:05 am GMT
So, the customer was asking whether you have any appointments available, and you were saying that you haven't made any appointments, and you were both using the phrase "have got" (a phrase that kinda grates on my ears, BTW; why not just say "have"?) for what you meant. The customer, besides dropping the word "available", made the question even more confusing by saying "for" rather than "at". And really, "appointment" wasn't a very good word for what the customer was asking about; "slots" or "openings", etc. would be a better choice.

What's your native dialect of English?

Also, a nitpick: a customer asked whether, not if, you had any appointments.
bennito   Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:44 am GMT
Thank you for all your comments. I really appreciate it. Its true that when they leave a word out of a sentence it can be really confusing some time. I m from Bangkok..and I went to an american school there before coming to Australia.