Meaning of "This isn't one of your better "

scrat_ali   Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:53 pm GMT
I was wondering: what is the meaning of the phrase "This isn't one of your better dinners" in the following comic:
http://images.ucomics.com/comics/ga/1979/ga791020.gif
Thanks in advance
Casual Sex   Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:22 pm GMT
It's not 'dinner', it's 'diner'. And it's not a phrase, it's literal.

Diner # A small, usually inexpensive restaurant with a long counter and booths and housed in a building designed to resemble a dining car.
scrat_ali   Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:00 pm GMT
You're right. That was my mistake. Thank you
scrat_ali   Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:20 pm GMT
Now, "This isn't one of your better diners" doesn't mean anything special, does it?
K. T.   Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:34 am GMT
I think you are having trouble with the joke. In "better" restaurants or diners waitresses do not show their stubbly legs to customers.
K. T.   Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:42 am GMT
In "better" restaurants or diners, waitresses do not show their unshaven legs (or their legs in such a familiar way-as if they were with their girlfriends in a dressing room) to customers.
scrat_ali   Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:50 pm GMT
Doesn't diner means "someone who eats in a restaurant" here?
Robin Michael   Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:34 pm GMT
Diner: is an American word for a road side restaurant

Dinner: is a word for a meal.

Diner: Can also refer to someone who dines in a restaurant.

In the cartoon, the cat is thinking that this is not one of the better Diners because the waitress is not prepared to put on make-up or shave her legs. Even worse, she puts her leg on the counter to show the customers that she has not shaved. (The waitress and the customer are on first name terms.)

I would have thought that 'Diner' would start with a capital letter to show that it is a real noun. However all the words are in capitals, so that distinction is not made.

'HON' is short for 'Honey', a term of endearment in the States much more than in the UK.

So, this is not a very pleasant Eatery! I quite like MacDonalds because the service and the food is so consistent. Much more so that Burger King.

(I dare say that little revelation will spark a storm of protest.)
scrat_ali   Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:58 pm GMT
I'm convinced. Thank you all
Casual sex   Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:50 pm GMT
Why on earth am I including a definition of the word 'diner' in my post? Why? I wonder.
K. T.   Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:45 pm GMT
I wondered why that was noted, and then missed as well. Maybe you weren't taken seriously because of your posting name.
Casual sex   Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:57 pm GMT
What's wrong with my name? Is 'sex' problematic or is it 'casual'? Or the combination?
And how hard is it to check a definition if you don't trust the news-bearer.
Casual sex   Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:15 pm GMT
Does anyone else have a problem with my name or is it just K.T. btw?
Would I be fully trusted if I were posting as 'Celibacy' or 'Puritan'?
.   Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:15 pm GMT
Your answer was not a complete answer. You drew attention to the fact that the critical word was 'Diner' and not 'Dinner' but it was not a complete answer.
Casual sex   Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:20 pm GMT
My answer was sufficient. Your post is meaningless otoh, because I haven't asked you that question. I asked at least six questions, but not that one.