Worst People At Speaking English?

K. T.   Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:58 am GMT
Mentre continuiamo ad usare la parola "spot" in riferimento alla pubblicità televisiva: si può utilizzare in questo senso, ma non è il termine a cui ricorrono più frequentemente inglesi e americani quando vogliono parlare di questa cosa."

Devo scrivere in italiano o francese? Le cas est plus bizarre au Japon-le japlish et le franponais. Tanoshinde kudasai. Have fun with this:

http://www.qsl.net/ah6hy/japlish.html

" Secondo un'inchiesta Eurobarometro del 2005 (non credo che da allora le cose siano particolarmente migliorate) solo il 36 per cento degli italiani si dichiarava in grado di sostenere una conversazione in un idioma diverso da quello natio. La media europea è del 50 per cento: stiamo peggio della Germania e anche della Francia, allo stesso livello degli spagnoli e leggermente meglio degli inglesi:

*GULP* Please do not post the "World Barometer"... I hope the "English" are behind the Americans..

http://www.ilmessaggero.it/home_blog.php?blg=P&idb=466&idaut=14
K. T. (barbarian)   Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:49 am GMT
According to a Gallup poll from 2001, something like one in four Americans can converse in another language. The top languages were SFGI and Mandarin.

PARISIEN,

I noticed that Germans and French were at the top of this list of those who could converse in another language. I've also noticed that almost everywhere I go on vacation, I hear German. After German, French is the language I hear most. I wonder if their wanderlust contributes to their desire to converse in other languages.
user   Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:04 am GMT
"According to a Gallup poll from 2001, something like one in four Americans can converse in another language. The top languages were SFGI and Mandarin."

Could you give me a link? And what is SFGI? I think Spanish is the best-known foreign language in the USA, only because there are so many immigrants from Latin America. "True Americans" don't learn other languages.
US USer   Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:16 am GMT
"I think Spanish is the best-known foreign language in the USA"

Well, Spanish is not exactly a foreign language in USA. In California, Florida or New Mexico is spoken before English.

USA don't respect international laws. If USA were in Europe, English and Spanish would be official languages of the country. A minority of a 15-20% is very big. It should be also official.
fraz   Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:54 am GMT
<<USA don't respect international laws. If USA were in Europe, English and Spanish would be official languages of the country. A minority of a 15-20% is very big. It should be also official. >>

I don't think the USA actually has an official language although obviously English is used to run the country.

How do white Americans fare with Spanish in the states where it is widely spoken?
rep   Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:14 am GMT
<<It is a rivalry that has prevailed throughout two World Wars and countless football clashes. But it seems the English and Germans have more in common than one might have thought.
New research has found that the Anglo-Saxon invasion of Britain from the continent 1,600 years ago was so successful that native characteristics were virtually wiped out.
And as a result experts say this has left England with a population made up largely of Germanic genes and with a language that owes much to our Anglo-Saxon invaders.
The new study explains that the majority of original British genes were wiped out in favour of German ones through a system of apartheid set up by the invaders. This allowed the Anglo-Saxons to out-breed the Brits and our country became 'Germanised.'
It is thought between 10,000 and 200,000 Anglo-Saxons migrated from modern-day Germany, Holland and Denmark into what is now England between the fifth and seventh centuries AD. At this time there were more than two million native Britons living in the country.
But within just 15 generations, the British genes were on the way out, while the Germanic ones were flourishing.
Until now geneticists and archaeologists have been unable to reconcile how a relatively small number of invaders so successfully took over the UK gene pool. Now scientists have used computer analysis to work out how this could have been achieved within just a few hundred years.
They have concluded the Anglo-Saxons probably brought with them an apartheid regime, similar to that seen more recently in South Africa. Under this servant-master system, the Anglo-Saxons would have enjoyed a more prosperous existence and so their offspring would have flourished.
Through restricting intermarriage, they also helped prevent native British genes getting into their own population. This left England culturally and genetically 'Germanised', according to the study published in the journal Proceedings of the Royal Society B.
The authors pointed to the fact that ancient texts show a far greater value was put on the head of an Anglo-Saxon than a Briton. If an Anglo-Saxon was killed, the perpetrator's family had to pay 'blood money' two to five times greater than the fine payable for the life of a native person.
Lead researcher Dr Mark Thomas of University College London's department of Biology, said the ethnic distinction of the native British and Anglo-Saxon populations could only have lasted for so many years through some kind of social segregation.
He said: "The native Britons were genetically and culturally absorbed by the Anglo-Saxons over a period of as little as a few hundred years. An initially small invading Anglo-Saxon elite could have quickly established themselves by having more children who survived to adulthood, thanks to their military power and economic advantage.
"We believe they also prevented the native British genes getting into the Anglo-Saxon population by restricting intermarriage in a system of apartheid that left the country culturally and genetically Germanised.
"This is exactly what we see today - a population of largely Germanic genetic origin, speaking a principally German language."
The Anglo-Saxon period came to an end in 1066 when Duke William of Normandy came to England and defeated Harold in the Battle of Hastings. However the legacy of that time can be seen in modern-day place names that end in 'ham' which means settlement, 'ton' which means farm or village and 'den' which means hill.
Other words we still use today that can be traced back to the Anglo-Saxon era include daughter from 'dohter' and father >>

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-396406/Were-Germans--1-600-years.html#ixzz0RFt8pvTH
Beathag   Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:44 pm GMT
>>Well, Spanish is not exactly a foreign language in USA. In California, Florida or New Mexico is spoken before English.

USA don't respect international laws. If USA were in Europe, English and Spanish would be official languages of the country. A minority of a 15-20% is very big. It should be also official. <<

Spanish is widely spoken in my Texas town- while we aren't close to the border or anything, we still have a lot of Mexican immigrants. You aren't looked down on if you learn Spanish for work- it pays to know it. But you are if you want to learn "just cause". People feel very strongly about how, if you move to a nation, you should speak the language (in my area, the Dutch immigrants feel the strongest). The United States is an English speaking country. It is a sign of respect to learn the language. And while I often read on here where people talk about how "easy" English is- I hear the opposite every day.
Leasnam   Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:51 pm GMT
<<,And what is SFGI?>>

I think it may mean Spanish, French, German, Italian?
K. T.   Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:55 pm GMT
"Could you give me a link? And what is SFGI? I think Spanish is the best-known foreign language in the USA, only because there are so many immigrants from Latin America. "True Americans" don't learn other languages."

I looked up something like "number of Americans who speak a foreign language" and got a Gallup site. The Gallup site appeared to have restrictions on linking to other sites.

Spanish, French, German, and Italian are SFGI. They seem to be the "popular languages" and it's easy to find learning materials for all of them. The other language that was spoken was Chinese.
Latino power   Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:04 pm GMT
"The United States is an English speaking country."

Well. That's not so easy.

United States is a big country, but you know that a lot of people in New Mexico and Texas speak Spanish from the XV century, WHEN ENGLISH WAS NOT SPOKEN. So, Texas was a Spanish-speaking State, and using your theory, it should be respected.

English was spoken after a lot of years when United States ROBBED BY A WAR all the South West to Mexico. An action that can be considered (according to International laws) even ILLEGAL.

Can you think that Mexico can buy 100 nuclear bombs to China or to Russia and reclaim all the South West to Mexico again?

Even China or Russia can give them to Mexico free...

Do you understand now that things are not so easy?
K. T. (USA)   Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:12 pm GMT
'"True Americans" don't learn other languages.'

Lol. Actually, they do. All Americans should learn English, though. I don't know why Barack Obama made such a big deal over someone (yesterday in his speech) who learned English and is studying to become a doctor. Most children of immigrants learn English...Maybe he thought he would inspire students whose parents don't speak English at home.

My aunt lives in southern California and she is feeling the effects of not learning Spanish. Recently she completed a course where she was the only student who didn't speak Spanish. Naturally, during lab, the language of conversation was Spanish and she felt left out. The teacher spoke English, but she wasn't in the lab all the time.

Spanish is prominent in some areas of the US, not all areas. In some areas (New England) I have heard French more than Spanish.
Beathag   Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:13 pm GMT
>>United States is a big country, but you know that a lot of people in New Mexico and Texas speak Spanish from the XV century, WHEN ENGLISH WAS NOT SPOKEN. So, Texas was a Spanish-speaking State, and using your theory, it should be respected<<

LOL! Maybe we should speak French as well since they once had a colony in Texas? Or how about we just respect the fact that NEITHER Spanish nor French were spoken there before the Native American Languages?
I think that should be the case by your logic. :-)
Well, I'm off to learn the Comanche language since it looks like I'll be needing it soon! ;-)
In my area at least.
Guest   Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:16 pm GMT
In fact you would like to speak French in USA, but speak English instead.
Merciful Nazi   Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:30 pm GMT
@ "Latino power",

ox⋅y⋅mo⋅ron  /ˌɒksɪˈmɔrɒn, -ˈmoʊr-/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [ok-si-mawr-on, -mohr-] Show IPA
Use oxymoron in a Sentence
See web results for oxymoron
See images of oxymoron
–noun, plural -mo⋅ra  /-ˈmɔrə, -ˈmoʊrə/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [-mawr-uh, -mohr-uh] Show IPA . Rhetoric. a figure of speech by which a locution produces an incongruous, seemingly self-contradictory effect, as in “cruel kindness” or “to make haste slowly.”

Origin:
1650–60; < LL oxymorum < presumed Gk *oxýmōron, neut. of *oxýmōros sharp-dull, equiv. to oxý(s) sharp (see oxy- 1 ) + mōrós dull (see moron )

Related forms:

ox⋅y⋅mo⋅ron⋅ic  /ˌɒksiməˈrɒnɪk/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [ok-see-muh-ron-ik] Show IPA , adjective
Leasnam   Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:37 pm GMT
<<Maybe we should speak French as well since they once had a colony in Texas>>

NO Beathag!
We should be speaking French in Arkansas, Missouri, Iowa, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, New Mexico, Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado and Louisiana because these were states corven out of the Louisiana Purchase!

What's with you Man!/Woman!