Worst People At Speaking English?

Beathag   Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:03 pm GMT
>>"refusing"? That is not the reason at all. English-speakers are not oney-lingual because they *refuse* to learn other languages. Based on your misthought, no wonder you slight us so. The reason is because no one ever stresses to us the need to. <<

Very true Leasnam. Reminds me of that other topic where we discussed percieved patriotism and being lingual in the US.

>>Hispanic does not mean "Spanish speaking". I know a lot of Hispanics who speak less Spanish than I do. In areas of the US where Spanish is heavily spoken in homes and in private lives, or private conversations in public areas, it is not state-sanctioned. It will likely never become a co-official language because moving from a uni-lingual position to a dual- or multi0lingual position is inefficient, expensive and illogical. Nations that have this sort of set-up have so because it was inherited from times gone by, or because it pre-existed and they are still dealing with it. What new nation establishes itself on the premise that people should speak multiple languages?

Dream on <<

Right again. I married a hispanic and he is the only kid in his family who didn't want to learn Spanish. PS: I think I even say Spanish words better than him ;-)
Guest   Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:24 pm GMT
Yes, it is true that a lot of Hispanics don't speak Spanish.

Anyway, there is a big majority of them that speak it. You also must add all people that study Spanish as second language (some 6 million), some 9 million of illegal Hispanics, and Puerto Rico (4 million).

So, there are 49.5 million of Spanish speakers in a country of 300 million.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_language

If Puerto Rico and New Mexico have Spanish as official (New Mexico, de facto), there are other States, like Texas or California that can add Spanish and it won't be inefficient or illogical. You can travel from Alaska to Argentina with only 2 languages: English and Spanish.
Guest   Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:53 pm GMT
<<You can travel from Alaska to Argentina with only 2 languages: English and Spanish. >>

You can do that now. So what does making it official have to do with it?

Official in name only?
fanatic statist   Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:58 pm GMT
I wonder how languages survived when there were not states nor authorities that declared them official.
Rico Suave   Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:19 pm GMT
<<I wonder how languages survived when there were not states nor authorities that declared them official. >>

Genau.