Grapes

Jennie   Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:44 pm GMT
I remember looking up a word. The example I found in the dictionary had something to do with the white stuff found on grapes.

Does anyone remember what the word is?
McGraghie   Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:24 pm GMT
Jennie   Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:34 pm GMT
It was more like a literary term and an example of it was the white stuff on grapes
iupacus   Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:47 pm GMT
Perhaps:

- caryophyllin

- oleanolic acid

- astrantiagenin C

- ciganteumgenin C

- virgaureagenin B

- oleanic acid

- 3-beta-Hydroxyolean-12-en-28-oic acid

- (4aS,6aR,6aS,6bR,8aR,10S,12aR,14bS)-10-hydroxy-2,2,6a,6b,9,9,12a-heptamethyl-1,3,4,5,6,6a,7,8,8a,10,11,12,13,14b-tetradecahydropicene-4a-carboxylic acid
Jennie   Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:04 pm GMT
Like interstices to describe the spaces between a cover of leaves on a tree
.   Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:17 am GMT
The answer that McGraghie gave you was 'bloom'. That was a good answer.

'Bloom' is a literary term. Pregnant women have a bloom that improves their complexion.

What do you mean by a literary term?

All American: Glossary of Literary Terms

http://www.uncp.edu/home/canada/work/allam/general/glossary.htm
.   Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:22 am GMT
Like interstices

in⋅ter⋅stice

1. an intervening space.

2. a small or narrow space or interval between things or parts, esp. when one of a series of alternating uniform spaces and parts: the interstices between the slats of a fence.

3. Roman Catholic Church. the interval of time that must elapse, as required by canon law, before promotion to a higher degree of orders.

4. an interval of time.

Origin:
1595–1605; < L interstitium, equiv. to interstit-, var. s. of intersistere to stand or put between + -ium -ium

Is interstice a literary term?
Damian Ldn SW15   Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:03 am GMT
As has already been stated, the word required is "bloom" - in British English at least, and I suppose in the rest of the English Speaking World also. The faintly waxy whitish covering found on grapes also occurs on other fruits - peaches, for instance. I adore a fresh, ripe, juicy peach...it really complements a chunk of ripe Stilton cheese and a crunchy Bath Oliver or a cream cracker to absolute perfection.

I think this bloom acts as some kind of protection for the fruits once they are approaching ripeness, and in similar vein it can also be applied to the middle and later stages of human adolescence, in the so called full bloom of youth. The word bloom itself implies freshness, ripeness, healthiness, vigour and of course, fruitfulness.
Bovina bound   Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:10 pm GMT
<<The faintly waxy whitish covering found on grapes also occurs on other fruits - peaches, >>

Is "peach fuzz" really the same thing as the bloom on grapes, plums, etc?