Difference between; you guys, you folks, you people

Z   Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:09 pm GMT
Is there any difference between these three terms?
Guest   Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:01 pm GMT
Yes, slightly.

'you guys' is regional and somewhat dated outside of the region where it is used (mostly US Midwest). hearing 'you guys' reminds me of the 70's show Happy Days, which was set in Milwaukee in the 1950's.

'you folks' is also somewhat regional (US South, Midwest) and is, well, "folksy".

'you people' is gay. Only homosexuals use this (eg. "Hel-LO, You Peeepulll")

An average person will tend to use some form of the first two, because there is a lot of overlap in usage, so they are not mutually exclusive of each other.
Z   Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:11 pm GMT
Then, what is the British standard use?
Guest   Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:15 pm GMT
<<Then, what is the British standard use? >>

British standard usage of what? Plural second person? I believe it's simply 'you' if I'm reading your fraign correctly
Shaun   Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:04 pm GMT
"You people" is not necessarily gay sounding (In fact I don't know why this 'guest' jumps to that conclusion first... that's not something a native speaker would automatically think unless he or she were a bigot).

However, it usually sounds derogatory as if one is subjugating a group or specific people... e.g., "you gays" "you blacks" you Asians" etc. So... generally refrain from saying "you people". It'll will save you grief.
Rosemachinegun   Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:52 pm GMT
I agree with Shaun. "You people" has a strong "us vs. them" quality to it. It's very divisive and condescending.
Skippy   Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:57 pm GMT
"You guys" is definitely heard throughout the Southwest. Even in California, you hear "you guys" all the time. It's not dated at all. When I would say "ya'll" when I first got to California and people would comment on it, I'd ask what they would say and the answer was always "you guys."
Yinzer   Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:49 pm GMT
First off, "you people" = gay makes no sense. Ignore it.
Second, "you guys" = dated is incorrect. "Guest" should try traveling the US sometime.

All of these are ways to indicate 2nd person plural. Since English decided to merge 2nd person singular (thou) and plural (you) a couple hundred years ago, you has become almost universally singular and we're left with creative ways to indicate the plural.

You guys - is one of the most standard and (US) region neutral ways we use in the US. I personally use this the most and live in the Mid-Atlantic. Common in the Midwest and west, too. If learning ESL, I'd recommend this phrase as it's the more "region-neutral".

You folks - more colloquial. Also tends to be used as a lightly more "formal" version of "y'all" in the southeast. For example, my mother is has a heavy southern accent would say to my siblings an me "y'all have fun now", but if she we talking to customers at her store, she'd typically say something like "Thanks you. You folks have a nice evening" .

You people - Typically used for the purposes to set oneself apart from a group. Can be derogatory or imply anger ("You people need to listen!"). I'd avoid this if you're not a native English speak to avoid confusion as to your tone.

Others:

Y'all - Southern US. Contraction of "You all". Tends to be used in more familiar situations, as mentioned above. Not an exclusive thing, though. IMO using y'all without the accompanying southern accent sounds odd.

Y'inz - One of my favorites. This is the Western Pennsylvania equivalent to "y'all". I guess it's a contraction of "you ones", but never in my life have I heard anyone say "you ones". Anyone who says "y'inz" can instantly be pegged as being from the Pittsburgh area.

You all - probably the "proper" way to say it. Not used much in the US except for those trying to seem erudite.
Leasnam   Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:19 pm GMT
"Hey you guys!" - very casual and friendly, heard most frequently among friends and acquaintances

"You folks may want to remain seated for the remainder of the flight" - used respectfully, oftentimes with seniors or to people in groups (eg. couples)

"You people are getting on my nerves" - often used disparagingly or in such a manner as to segregate or single out a group of individuals
Shaun   Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:02 pm GMT
Yinzer has it. Listen to this person. You guys can be used everywhere (in the US).
guest   Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:55 pm GMT
"Yinzer has it. Listen to this person. You guys can be used everywhere (in the US). "

But the OP was asking about what the differences between each form might be, not which to use and where.
Shaun   Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:55 am GMT
Huh? He gave advice as to where to use it. You have to know what they mean in order to use them. The differences are also clearly explained within the explanation.
K. T.   Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:01 am GMT
"You guys" is probably okay in most places, but "Y'all" is more common in the South. "Y'inz" is used in Western Pennsylvania, probably in the West Virginia panhandle, and parts of Eastern Ohio.