connotation

A J   Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:09 am GMT
A hard part of studying English is learning connotation.
Is there a connotation dictionary or something like that?
If you know a site that corresponds to that, please inform me.

Thank you.
Uriel   Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:01 am GMT
What you need is a thesaurus to list the various synonyms of a word, plus a dictionary to sort out their meanings.
Brennus   Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:25 am GMT
I agree very much with Uriel. One of the best online dictionaries of this kind that I've found is Dictionary.com but Webster's Online and MSN - Encarta dictionary are certainly good sources too.
Boy   Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:14 pm GMT
A J,

You mean collocation or connotation? There is no 'connotation' dictionary in the market but there is a collocation dictionary which is known as 'oxford collocation dictionary' which you can search online.

collocation, collocations

In linguistics, collocation is the way that some words occur regularly whenever another word is used. (TECHNICAL)
A J   Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:26 am GMT
I meant 'connotation', but I think a collocation dictionary would be useful.
Do you mean there is the dictionary online, or I can buy the book online?
If the former, could you tell me the exact online address, because I found only an advertisement for the book you recommended.
Boy   Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:49 pm GMT
You have to buy it either from a local shop or online. There is no free on-line version available.
A J   Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:16 pm GMT
Finally, I found the exact dictionary that I had been picturing.
It's Longman Language Activator. It particularly helps learners pick correct words for similar but subtly different situations.

I'm thinking of buying it, so if you happen to know a better choice than this, please inform me.
anonymous2   Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:15 am GMT
In my opinion, even if you get the best dictionary in the world, you won't be able to figure out all the possible connotations of any given word from the dictionary alone. Certain connotations might be specific to a particular situation in which the word was used, and they won't appear in dictionaries unless they are very common. very It pays to have a good dictionary, but you'll still have to learn the connotations of words "by osmosis".
A J   Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:42 am GMT
Sure thing. That's why I still (and am going to) spend most of time on reading many English books, but I expect that kind of dictionary will help me establish certain fundamentals in language.

Thank you though.
Ixax   Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:31 pm GMT
A few years ago there was a website that announced that the publisher was undertaking a project to develop a dictionary of connotation for English. It would be an amazing accomplishment, but I wasn't able to find the site when I looked today. I wonder if it is still in development.
nana   Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:52 pm GMT
i need to have more information on how Beauty is related to connotation?and how does it differ from culture to the other?