English and Spanish in Philippines

Message Poster   Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:24 pm GMT
There's no way that Spanish can be restored back to its former glory in the Philippines for the following reasons.

1. The Filipinos feel more affiliated with the Americans because the Americans worked hard to provide the Filipinos with basic education which the Spaniards denied them.

2. under the 300+ years of Spanish rule in the Philippines, majority of the Filipinos were not taught to speak Spanish except for those privilege few instead Spanish officials communicated with them by learning their languages. Why? Because the Spanish feared that if the locals speak a common language, the whole archipelago would understand each other and rebel against Spain and so the Spanish authorities let the vernacular languages flourish something like divide and rule tactic.

Actually, most of the Filipinos have a wishful thinking that it would be much better if Filipinos speak the Spanish languages and united rather than with multitudes of vernacular languages and divided if they're asked.

So, it was the fault of Spanish authority after all by not letting the majority of them learn Spanish.

And now the Hispanics want the Spanish in the throats of the Filipinos. It's too late and it should have been done while Spain ruled the Philippines. With the prestige and the global status of the English language, the scheme is very far from reality.
Guest   Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:57 pm GMT
In Philippines they can learn English and Spanish too. There is nothing that prevents a person who already speaks English from learning another language. Also Spanish is easier for Filipinos than English, because their native tongues already have many Spanish words and Spanish phonetics is much easier. There is already a lot of interest in Spanish from the authorities in Philippines and the plan is to achieve the same thing than in Brazil, that is, to offer Spanish in all secondary schools. Spanish has many native speakers, now it's the turn for achieving millions of secondary speakers. Both Brazil and Philippines are the two main targets.
Harman   Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:30 pm GMT
what about New Mexico and Arizona a more original name?
a   Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:00 am GMT
spanish is for people who wanna communicate with the poor.
hijueputa   Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:23 am GMT
<<In Philippines they can learn English and Spanish too. There is nothing that prevents a person who already speaks English from learning another language>>

Yes there is something that prevents it. NECESSITY! The number one reason for language learning on earth. Remove necessity and you remove 95% of all potential learners.
Hitleriano   Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:35 am GMT
I don't think US students have such "necessity" when they learn Spanish. They even are native English speakers so they are even less urged to learn foreign languages than the Filipinos. If the Filipino Government makes Spanish compulsory then they will have to learn Spanish, whether it is a necessity in real world for the students or not, it's the same. Probably they will acquire only basic Spanish, but the same can be said for 90% of foreign language students when they learn French, or even English to lesser degree.
A more unique name   Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:20 pm GMT
<< Besides, Spanish is now the second most important World language. That's the reason to be promoted there. If people there study both languages can have a good job working in call centers or other kind of companies. >>

No, it's French. Spanish is not liked outside Hispanic America and Castilia.

Few non-hispanics speak it, so how come it's the second most important?
LFP   Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:24 pm GMT
3 Cebu science high schools to teach their students French

October 6, 2009 10:37 pm
vote
nowBuzz up!

CEBU CITY, Oct. 7 – Principals and students of science high schools in the cities of Cebu and Mandaue and Minglanilla town are excited to become beneficiaries of the French classes that the government will offer.

The three are among the seven schools in Central Visayas and the 13 in the country which were chosen as pilot schools in the Special Program in Foreign Language by the Department of Education (DepEd).

DepEd Secretary Jesli Lapus recently signed an agreement with French Ambassador to the Philippines Thierry Borja de Mozota to introduce French in 13 high schools starting school year 2010-2011.

Learning French early will give Filipino graduates a competitive advantage over people from other countries when they join the workforce, the press release added.

Mandaue City National Science High School principal Rosario Kasilagan said it is timely that the government introduce the language so their 234 students can easily find work abroad.

Cebu City National Science High School principal Severina Chin said students will greatly benefit as French is widely used in Europe and parts of Canada.

At Mandaue City National Science High School, student Steven Tan, 15, already knows how to give his name and birthday in French.

He believes learning the language will give him an edge in the future.

Minglanilla Science National High School principal Eutiquia Alday said her students are also excited about the new language.

Alday said the school has two teachers trained in teaching French –Dr. Adolfo Ermetes and Jacklyn Bucao– will be the ones to teach the language to 278 students in all levels.

Aside from the three, the science high schools in Toledo City, Medellin town, Tagbilaran City in Bohol and Lapu-Lapu City will benefit from the program.

The pilot schools recorded a high mean percentage score in English.

They are expected to serve as lead schools in the regions in mainstreaming the Special Program in Foreign Language, DepEd said.

Aside from preparing students for a culturally diverse global workplace, the program also aims to develop the students’ skills in listening, reading, writing, speaking and viewing as basic skills to acquire communicative competence in a second foreign language, it added. (PNA) LDV/EB/re

http://balita.ph/2009/10/06/3-cebu-science-high-schools-to-teach-their-students-french/
Usuario   Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:31 pm GMT
Yes, Filipinos can study French, German or Italian, but...

1. Spanish is the historical language of Philippines, important in Law, History or other studies.

2. Spanish is very easy for Filipinos. Europeans can choose a lot of languages, and there is a tendency to study Spanish because it is easier than German or French. Besides, there are 5000 words of Spanish root in Tagalog. A Filipino can study Spanish in one year.

3. Spanish is the third economic language after English and Chinese (Steinke index)

4. Spanish is the third language in Internet (World Stats index)

5. Spanish is spoken by 500 million people as first or second language.

6. Spanish is yet the first or majority language in 25 countries.

7. Spanish is the second most studied language Worldwide (Instituto Cervantes).

8. Philippines is in APEC. The official language of APEC is English, but Chinese and Spanish are promoted and represented there, and not other European languages.

9. Filipinos are Hispanics. For example, Philippines is member of the Latin Union. This year is member of the Iberoamerican summits.

10. A Filipino that speak more languages, earns more money, working in call centers or other companies.
Usuaire   Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:50 pm GMT
<< 5. Spanish is spoken by 500 million people as first or second language. >>

Just 350 million. Nothing more, nothing less.

<< 7. Spanish is the second most studied language Worldwide (Instituto Cervantes). >>

Accroding to I.C. But according to website made by English, Chinese, German, Japanese, etc., it's French.
Usuario   Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:18 pm GMT
Spanish is the second most studied language Worldwide and spoken by some 500 million (Instituto Cervantes).

When Instituto Cervantes says officially that Spanish is the second most studied language worldwide, Francophonie said NOTHING.

Francophonie could discuss about that, but the silence of Francophonie is CLEAR. So, they confirm this.
Usaire   Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:40 am GMT
<< Spanish is the second most studied language Worldwide and spoken by some 500 million (Instituto Cervantes).

When Instituto Cervantes says officially that Spanish is the second most studied language worldwide, Francophonie said NOTHING.

Francophonie could discuss about that, but the silence of Francophonie is CLEAR. So, they confirm this. >>

Of course they just remain silent because they don't argue for no reason at all and they know the truth.

Besides Instituto Cervantes' claim that Spanish is the second most studied language is baseless and exaggerated.

See for yourself in different site and links by Francophonie that French is the second most studied language.

http://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/fr/actions-france_830/francophonie-langue-francaise_1040/langue-francaise_3094/outils-communication-pour-francais_18768/les-argumentaires-pour-francais_18779/17-bonnes-raisons-pour-les-parents-eleves-les-directeurs-ecoles-faire-choix-du-francais_61335.html by France Diplomatie.

Websites made by non-francophones confirmed that French is the second most studied language in the entire world. You cannot see any other websites declaring that Spanish is the second most studied language in the world.

Anglo-Saxon links about French
http://www.fll.vt.edu/French/whyfrench.html
http://www.uwindsor.ca/futurestudents/programprofile/french-studies
http://french.about.com/od/francophonie/ss/whatisfrench.htm
http://www.canoeisland.org/about-us/why-learn-french.html

China
http://www.tuition.com.hk/french/

Hong Kong
http://www.nelanguage.com/french.html

Now what can you say that Instituto Cervantes kept quiet about these websites? They know the truth.

There is a dispute in which language is the 3rd most taught and studied. Probably it's Russian and German they are because very popular in Eastern Europe while Spanish is a laggard there. Italian is way ahead of Spanish in Eastern Europe.

In Central Asia, French is studied by a hundred thousands while Spanish is unknown there.

So what made Instituto Cervantes say that Spanish is the second most taught and studied language in the world ahead of French, Russina, German, and Italian? What's their proof or basis?

Just because Spanish is the most popular foreign language taken by HS students in the US or Brazil, it does not mean that it is the second most taught and studied language in the world. Yes, more HS school students in those 2 countries opt for it because it's easy to pass and after graduating from HS they forgot the language and couldn't even utter a single Spanish word. It's like a stepping stone for them to pass.
!!!Viva Filipinas!!!   Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:08 am GMT
First of all I am a proud Filipino. I was born in Filipinas but now an American Filipino. I believe that Filipinos should go back to speaking original franca lengua that was written in the constitution of Filipinas in spanish. Many Filipinos blame Spain for many things and tend to ignore what other colonizers have done to them as well. I say get over it! Accept that your country was and will always be a Hispanic country. You Filipinos should be proud of who you are! Stop blaming others for your mistakes and sufferings. Spain has contributed many good things to our Filipino culture. I believe most of the oppositions comes from people who have no education and have no access to the Truth. Many Filipinos hate to be associated with being hispanic due to the misconception of them as being bloody murderers and rapist. You guys need to stop and take a look at yourselves. You are the past and the future of Filipinas. You can't have a future without a past. Embrace the past, learn from it, and use it to better your country. I used to be anti-spanish, but I learned to embrace my past, my heritage and be proud of it. I learned that Filipinas was ruled by Spain under the rule of Nueva Espana which is now Mexico. Filipinos and Mexican has contributed to each others heritage under the influences of Spain. I used to hate being mistaken as mexican or columbian but now I don't take offence to it due to I have learned through my research that I have aztec and spanish blood in me and that happend because Filipinas and Nueva Espana had great relationship with each other until Nueva Espana now Mexico gained its independence from Spain. If you do your research you will know the Truth, the real truth not the blemished truth that Americans teaches us today. If you really want to know who you are, learn your true past. To tell the truth, more fiilipinos were killed, tortured and raped by Japanese and Americans. Education is the key to Filipinas! I specially hate it when uneducated fiilipinos try to write in tagala or tagalog and try to change the spellings of the words so it don't look like spanish. Have you noticed that most of the words are in spanish? Who are you fooling but yourselves, you make yourselves look like a bunch of illiterate fools. For example, Cuarto is spelled Kuarto or Peso is spelled Piso. Did you know that the currency of Filipinas is Peso not Piso? Go ahead and look it up you will be surprised that I am right. No matter how you try to change the spellings of the words it is still a spanish word . The only thing it does is that makes you look like you just can't spell. As for spanish being the franca lengua of Filipinas I am for it 100%. I wish I have learned spanish before coming to the United States as it would help me very much in getting a better job and be able to communicate with other hispanic people. Also I want to point out that Spanish will soon be the official language of America as it is more widely spoken here. To withhold spanish as the official language of Filipinas is to hold it back from its progress for a better future for the country and its people.

Viva Isla de Filipinas!
maritess   Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:45 am GMT
<<Have you noticed that most of the words are in spanish? Who are you fooling but yourselves, you make yourselves look like a bunch of illiterate fools. For example, Cuarto is spelled Kuarto or Peso is spelled Piso. Did you know that the currency of Filipinas is Peso not Piso? Go ahead and look it up you will be surprised that I am right. No matter how you try to change the spellings of the words it is still a spanish word.>>

What are you going on about? "Kwarto" and "piso" and other TAGALOG words were borrowed from Spanish, but they are now part of the Tagalog lexicon, and thus, are spelled according to Tagalog orthography. This practice of adapting borrowed words to native orthography is found in practically every language.

"Peso" is what Philippine currency is called in Spanish and English, but in Tagalog it's "piso". The 100 units that make up a piso is called a centavo in Spanish and English, but in Tagalog it's "sentimo" (fr Sp "céntimo). So what is the point you're trying to make?
Spamnish   Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:48 am GMT
I would like to know the number of real speakers of English and Spanish in the Philippines.

English, according to some webpages is spoken by some 50% of the population. Is that true?

Spanish is spoken by some 3 million speakers. Tagalog (Filipino) is spoken as first or second language by a lot of people there. Tagalog is almost a Spanish creole (half of the vocabulary is Spanish). So, is it true that a Tagalog speaker can study Spanish in only one year?