Is the Internet buttressing or bullying English's position?

Shuimo   Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:28 am GMT
Do you think, in the age of the Internet, position of English as an international communication tool is buttressed or bullied by the Internet that we see is increasingly used by ever growing users of different languages?
Robin Michael   Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:00 pm GMT
Buttressed

For a long time, English has been the dominant language of the internet.

English is the language of the global economy.

In IT and in many other fields there is such a thing as 'first mover advantage'. To give an example: the word: 'Hoover', which in the UK is synonymous with 'vacuum cleaner'. Because Hoover developed an early vacuum cleaner, their name will be forever linked with vacuum cleaners. Consequently people ask for a 'Hoover' when they want a 'Vacuum Cleaner'. If you ask for a pint of Guinness, the likelihood is that you will be served a pint of Guinness and not a pint of stout. Guinness is special and unique and is not just a commodity.

I do not mind if other people disagree with me or agree with me, but express themselves in a different way. However nobody likes personal insults or vandalism.

I have gone to the trouble to write a reply and to check my reply for spelling mistakes and grammatical errors.