It's a Lovely Day Tomorrow

Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:25 pm GMT
Sadly this once agreeable English Language discussion Forum has really gone down the pan big time.....a wee bit of a shame to say the least.

Maybe, just maybe, it will pick up again and become wholesome again.....let's be positive and as this old British WW2 song says...It's a Lovely Day Tomorrow......

It's a lovely day to tomorrow,
Tomorrow is a lovely day!
So just feast your tear dimmed eyes
On tomorrow's clear blue skies...
If today your heart is weary
And every little thing looks grey
Just forget your troubles
And learn to say...
Tomorrow is a lovely day.....

It lifted the spirits of the British people at a time of great danger and strife and despair and strengthened their courage and fortitude and although the comparison with the current problems of Antimoon is completely ridiculous it does instil some kind of hope that this Forum may sometime soon regain its former standards and quality.

The still picture shown in this YT clip shows Piccadilly Circus, in London's West End, during the celebrations at the end of WW2 in 1945.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOT96o6jiI0&feature=related
Damian   Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:34 pm GMT
My gravbe mistake......It's Lovely Day Tomorrow was nott, in fact, a british song...it was composed by Irving Berlin, a Russian emigrant to the United States in the very early part of the 20th century. My apologies.

This particular recording, indeed, was British though....Jack Payne and his orchestra playing at the Dorchester Hotel, in Park, Lane, London, in 1940.
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:36 pm GMT
Grave mistake......yet again.....
Guest   Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:40 pm GMT
Once Robin Michael leaves, this forum will be better.
Guest2   Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:21 pm GMT
<It lifted the spirits of the British people at a time of great danger and strife and despair and strengthened their courage and fortitude>

A journalistic cliché with no basis in historical fact.

<it does instil some kind of hope that this Forum may sometime soon regain its former standards and quality.>

Why should a sentimental song from decades ago instil hope that a forum will regain its former standards - any more than saying (for instance) "I hope this forum regains its former standards"?
Damian Perth Scotland   Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:51 pm GMT
No basis in historical fact? Now how would you know that then? Have you studied British Social History and written a thesis on everyday life in Britain during the Second World War and everything it entailed? I'm pretty damn sure my knowledge of what all the "historical facts" is infinitely more superior to yours - for all I know you may well not even be British anyway. As your handle is but an anonymous cowardly cop-out your opinion on anything in here is worthless.

As most of the crap in this Forum these days appears to emanate from juvenile delinquents here is a song to sing you to sleep as it is now getting quite late in Britain when all bairns should be tucked up in their cots.....another song from the Britain of those far off wartime days when all the children of Britain were separated from their parents as they were voluntarily evacuated to the safe areas in the British countryside, away from the bombings of the town and cities.

It should suit all the "children" in this Forum:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQWY31G3B58
Antimooner K. T.   Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:01 pm GMT
Were your grandparents old enough to be a part of this Damian? Is that how you know about this? My grandparents never talked about the war.
Antimooner K. T.   Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:03 pm GMT
It makes me think about "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" movie when the kids were sent out in the country.
Damian Perth Scotland   Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:26 pm GMT
Both my sets of grandparents got married a few years after the end of the Second World War and were kids themselves during the wartime evacuations but as they already lived in the safety of the countryside they were able to stay with their parents in their own homes.

However, the areas in which they lived saw quite a number of children evacuated there, from cities like Glasgow and Edinburgh and in the case of one of my grandmothers from the Birmingham, Bristol and London areas.

It's true that many of the old people now who were alive at that time are often reluctant to talk about all their wartime experiences of bombing blitzes on Britain and the evacuation of children and losses of loved ones in the air raids at home on far away battlefields overseas.

Even today, 65 or 70 years later, the memories are just too painful to bring to mind for them all over again. In the course of my studies and research on this topic which interested me so much at uni I had to tread very carefully and sensitively.
Antimooner K. T.   Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:39 pm GMT
Thanks for sharing, Damian. Interesting. I remember that there were two children sent to Canada on a ship. Their mother did not want them to go, but somehow they were sent anyway. Very few children survived when the boat sank, but both brother and sister did.
BITCH   Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:52 am GMT
………………_„-,-~''~''':::'':::':::::''::::''~-,~„
…………._,-'':::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::''-„
………..,-'::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::|
………,-'::::::::::::„:„„-~-~--'~-'~--~-~--~--~„:,'
……..,'::::::::::,~'': : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : '-|
……..|::::::::,-': : : : : : : : - -~''''¯¯''-„: : : : : :\
……..|::::::::|: : : : : : : : : _„„--~'''''~-„: : : : : '|
……..'|:::::::,': : : : : : :_„„-: : : : : : : : ~--„_: |'
………|::::::|: : : „--~~'''~~''''''''-„…_..„~''''''''''''¯¯|¯",
………….'|: \: : : : : : : : -,„_„„-~~--~--„_: : : |
…………..|: \: : : : : : : : : : : :-------~: : : : : |
…………..|: :''-,: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :
…………..',: : :''-, : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : ,'
……………| : : : : : : : : :_ : : : : : : : : : : ,-'
……………|: : : : : : : : : : '''~----------~'': :,'
…………._|: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :
……….„-''.. '-,_: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : ,'
……,-''. . . . . '''~-„_: : : : : : : : : : : : :,-'''-„
pemphoidal   Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:15 am GMT
<<As your handle is but an anonymous cowardly cop-out your opinion on anything in here is worthless.>>

Aren't all of our handles around here pretty much anonymous?

(I like to use a new one each post, ideally something which has never before appeared on the internet. Unfortunately I'm usually too lazy to come up with something brand new each time.)
Simporadistic   Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:26 am GMT
Actually, because someone criticises you anonymously you should pay more attention. Why? Because it's more likely to be the truth. On the internet there is no screen of niceties and falseness like in real life, where it would seem to speak the brutal truth has become entirely taboo (or maybe it always has been). In this day and age, anything that isn't an "inclusive", "every opinion is valid", "there's no wrong answer" type comment can border on an infringement of fundamental human rights.
Damian Perth Scotland   Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:46 am GMT
***....screen of niceties and falseness like in real life, where it would seem to speak the brutal truth has become entirely taboo.....***

You just have to be an American! Isn't that very much a feature of American life? It must be, as so many British expats now living over there seem to echo the above words of yours......especially the "niceties" and "falseness" bits.

Still, I suppose it avoids confrontation which may well be a good thing, even though it leaves you not really knowing where you stand with anyone!

Europeans generally are not too keen on that. ;-)

Human rights? Fine, as far as it goes but even those can be highly controversial in the way they are manipulated in the wrong direction. People twitter on about such things as the "rights of people convicted of criminal offences" while precious little consideration is given to the rights of the victims of the criminal actions.

This event happened here in the UK.......in Leeds, England, Police Constable Michael Bunting was called to a disturbance in a rough area of the city...he apprehended a violent thug and in the course of the ensuing struggle this man inflicted quite serious injuries on the policeman who suffered broken teeth, facial injuries and severe lacerations to other parts of his body. All the while he tried to use the minimum of force against this individual who continued to rain violent blows on him (please remember that British police officers on normal beat patrols do not carry firearms).

Other police officers were present at this affray in the street, but PC Bunting was being pushed to the limit by this violent criminal who, like his companions, had been caught in the act of lawbreaking in the first place - robbery of business premises.

In a desperate measure to arrest this man PC Bunting punched him in the chest as a means of restraining him. He finally managed to control him, arrest him and had him carted off down to the nick - that's Britslang for a police station. The man was eventually found guilty of attempted theft - and given a ludicrously low fine and had a community service order imposed on him......which he subsequently never actually carried out in full anyway.

Meanwhile PC Michael Buntings was off work for six weeks, and had to receive hospital treatment for his injuries.

Astonishingly, this policeman was later arrested himself on a charge of assault - against this same criminal, who had lodged a complaint to the police about the way PC Bunting had treated him! Incredibly, PC Bunting appeared in court over this charge, was found guilty - and sentenced to three months in prison! Can you believe that? You'd better, as it is the gospel truth!

PC Bunting was incarcerated in Armley Prison, in Leeds, thrown in among all the truly, real hardened criminals in that place, and later transferred to Ford Open Prison, near Littlehampton, down in Sussex, England.

He served half his sentence before he was released on appeal, but to make matters much worse for him he was dismissed from the West Yorkshire Police force on account of all this business...."bringing the Police Service into disrepute!" How bizarre is that then?!!!

All the while this was going on the worthless criminal scumbag was free to roam about the streets committing more petty offences.

Before all this took place PC Bunting (who was aged 23 at the time of the incident) had had an exemplary record as a brave and resourceful police officer.

He is now a successful business man in his own right, running a sports fitness company - and fighting against the infamous "misuse of human rights".

He has since written a book about this whole affair which ended a very promising career in the Police Service:

"A Fair Cop" by Michael Bunting - published by The Friday Project, 77-85 Fulham Palace Road, Hammersmith, London, W6 8JB - and which came out in 2008.

ISBN978-1-906321-92-5

Marked price: £7.99

An excellent but highly disturbing read - every decent person in the UK should read it, and discover just how bent and twisted sections of the British judiciary really is......the human rights of criminals regarded over and above those of victims and the guardians of the law.
west is going down   Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:01 am GMT
Ho ho! PC Bunting sure is lucky the violent thug wasn't a Muslim! He'd be serving a life sentence right now!