Is Spain the European country that speaks English worst?

SPIC   Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:55 am GMT
¡ME IMPORTA UN CARAJO EL INGLES! ¡LO UNICO ME IMPORTA A MI ES EL NARCOTRAFICO Y LAS BODAS GAYS Y LA PORONGA DE ZAPATERO!
anon   Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:20 pm GMT
Level of English Knowledge rated from 1-10:

Italy -1

no explanation necessary

Spain -1

no explanation necessary

France -2

France has a bad reputation, but its common for people to know some English, and people who have basic fluency are not rare at all.

Portugal -5

Portugal is way ahead of ANY latin european country.

In Portugal, its generational. English is widely known/spoken amongst the younger generation ( under 35)- and of decent quality at that. The older people are clueless, and are more likely to speak french.

Germany-7

English fluency is very common, but generally of low quality, and THICK accents.

Austrians-6

Austrians are less likely to speak English than Germans.

The Netherlands - 10

I'm shocked when I come across dutch people who do NOT speak English (they do exist!), or have limited skills, or even a strong foreign accent.

Scandinavian countries- 8-10
Med Club   Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:53 pm GMT
I translate the last post.

Useful languages to study: Spanish, Italian and French. English is not enough in these countries.

Not useful languages: German, Dutch, Scandinavian languages, Portuguese. It is enough to know English.
some questions   Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:16 pm GMT
Anon who are you? Can you speak Spanish or French fluently? How old are you? Are you an English teacher? Have you ever been to Portugal?
Spaniard   Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:29 pm GMT
Why learning English if we already speak Spanish, the favourite language of God.
Istennek   Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:32 pm GMT
Portuguese have an awful accent!
guarro   Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:47 pm GMT
LAS BODAS GAYS ??

Eres un hetero tan feo que ninguna chica quiere casarse contigo? Lo siento mucho pero no puedes tenerles bronca a los maricones tan solo porque son mas bonitos que tu y a veces se casan entre si....Ademas debe de ser muy duro hacerse pajas todos los dias y no poseer ni un agujero para meterla :-)
I live in Spain   Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:18 pm GMT
Well visitor, if you don't mind the fact that I'm a 'homo' maybe you'll take the time to read my reply.

I live in Spain, and I have been to and lived in other countries. Italy and France are about as bad as Spain in terms of foreign language learning, just look at the EU statistics on how many can speak forein languages. It doesn't mean they are bad or stupid or anything, it's like English, people who speak major languages don't seem to have the incentive to learn new ones.... As a linguist myself I hate this, but that's my experience anyway.

I've been to Sweden and Slovenia, and the standard of English was impressive there. The need to communicate with others has made them create solid educational sytems that promote languages.

Another reason is that for Spanish speakers English is so different phonetically that they can say the same as a German, for example, and sound worse because the pronunciation is much more awkward for them.

finally, I also feel Spaniards are very self critical, but they don't realise everywhere else is just as bad as worse!
Progresista   Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:26 pm GMT
<<Well visitor, if you don't mind the fact that I'm a 'homo' maybe you'll take the time to read my reply. >>

Entonces tu opinión no importa. Por cierto, cuando se van legalizar los matrimonios incestuosos? Es que yo quiero casarme con mi padre.... ¿Por qué no?
bécs   Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:45 pm GMT
Es que yo quiero casarme con mi padre.... ¿Por qué no?

Qué idiota eres! De todas formas, a mi no me importa un bledo tu opinion Qué se vayan al carajo todos los fachas de este mundo!
Progresista   Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:52 pm GMT
<,Es que yo quiero casarme con mi padre.... ¿Por qué no?

Qué idiota eres! De todas formas, a mi no me importa un bledo tu opinion Qué se vayan al carajo todos los fachas de este mundo! >>

Pero dime, ¿por qué no? El amor es el amor.