What is the biggest threat to English?

Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:07 pm GMT
There is absolutely NO record whatsover of Jesus Christ himself ever condemning homosexuality itself or homosexual people of either gender....not even in the Bible or in any other scriptures of the time, and rest assured homosexual practice were very much in existence when Jesus walked this earth, as they have been ever since humanity itself existed in its present form....and as it always will as long as the human race exists, along with many other non-human species which also involves same gender relationships.

Of course I am a gay man myself and always have been - it was not a deliberate choice of mine...I did not leap out of bed one morning in the summer of 1998 at the tender age of 16 and yell out to the world outsdie of my bedroom window my intention to be gay from that moment on as it is quite impossible to change your sexual orientation at the flick of a switch....I was already fully programmed that way in much the same way that from my very earliest days I was using my left hand for all practical purposes rather than my right hand which was useless more or less to accomplish effective tasks, whereas the majority of those around me were using their right hand....it was simply not natural for me to do the same...it just didn't work...I messed everything up when I tried to use my right hand...my brain didn't like it for some reason.

The same applied to the people I was emotionally and physically attracted to, and nothing on earth could or ever would alter that basic fact.....I accepted it. To those who don't or simply won't accept...sorry, it's not my problem, it's very much theirs! There are no two ways about it. Move on and get on with your own prejudiced lives...leave all our censure for the many REAL objectionable and wicked people on this planet....there's is plenty of scope there and that's for sure!

It is so sad that so many bigoted people are so disproportionately selective in their targets for abuse and violence based solely on prejudice and ignorance...the easier options.... while at the same time choosing to pay little or no heed to all the far more serious and dangerous and disruptive threats to society at large.

I am used to adverse comments and mockery and bigotry from some people but I don't feel that I need protection as such.....bloody hell, I work in a profession which invites all kind of abuse and verbal slings and arrows and barbed comments of censure....at the age of 27 I have now got quite a thick skin and can take it all with aplomb...I just would not survive in my job without it.

A new law has now been passed in the UK making all forms of homophobic comments or physical acts of a homophobic nature against homosexual people illegal. I would not like to be physically assaulted by anyone purely on account of my sexuality, of course I wouldn't - but who would, whether gay or straight? It is all illegal, and that should of course be a crime....as it indeed is.

But at the same time I don't feel the need to be protected from homophobic comments.....in spite of Gordon Brown and his Labour Government of lily livered scroats this is basically very much a free country where people are free to express their views on anything they like in the open and in open forum, whether down at Hyde Park Corner or down in the cosy wee pub alongside the village green in Piddletrenthide* or wherever, and if anyone wishes to slag me off because of my sexuality then they are free to do so, but even so I do think that chronic homophobia as such is more or an indication of some kind of disordered irrationality within the individual concerned who would do better to sound off about far more serious matters in this weird world of ours.

There are indeed records of Jesus condemning adulters and thieves and robbers and criminals in general...."go and sin no more!" and all that kind of thing.....but none whatsoever about the oft quoted Old Testament "man must not lie with man" stuff.....so conveniently and fondly used by homophobes who would not dream of going all biblical and scriptural over matters such as the most horrible of murders and real, genuine rapes and all other despicable acts the human being is regrettably capable of committing.

The Old Testament condemns menstruating women...they should be avoided at all costs...now that would present us with mega sized problems that's for sure!....and as for adulterers...it states that all adulterers should be put to death.....as should people who eat certain foods or wear certain fabrics and a whole list of other absurdities...flamin' 'ell (as they say down in London) - that certainly is one mightily effective means of population control...if put into effect it would cut the British population down by about 80% at the very least! No more jammed up M25 motorway...no more crushes on the Northern Line tube and only 10% capacity crowds at Murrayfield stadium...oh, what bliss!

Here endeth the second lesson....go ye forth and prosper!
Aaron G   Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:19 pm GMT
The Old Testament condemns dwarfs, too.
Shuimo   Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:38 pm GMT
SIMBOL Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:19 am GMT
I think the greatest threat to English is the "gay accent" (no offence to gays). That flamboyant girly accent with rising intonation at the end of every sentence. This accent is spreading from flamboyant gays into the rest of the community and is rather atrocious.
===============
Really?
Could you provide any video/sound links to illustrate what this flamboyant girly gay accent is really like?
Shuimo   Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:54 pm GMT
FREEDOM TO HATE! Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:44 pm GMT
Freedom of speech also includes freedom of non-violent hatred. Freedom of speech includes the right to not like gays.

Freedom of speech is a double edged sword. You are free to bang a dude, I am free to dislike homos. You can dislike me too. You're free to do so. But you've got to accept that lots of people don't like you and that that is NOT a crime. I don't consider it a crime that you bang a dude, but it does make me squeamish and I am free to feel that way.

To use some of your arguments: to hate gays is a natural reaction; I was born that way; I can't help who I fall in hate with, hate is hate; some animals hate eachother too!
=====================

Very true!
Shuimo quite agrees to this:
Freedom of speech is a double edged sword.
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:00 pm GMT
From now on I will make no further references to the issue outlined in my last posting....it is now over and done with as far as I'm concerned. I've declared myself as a normal human being who is himself...but also one who is passionate by the English Langage and its usage....a precious commodity which this country....well, England to be precise...has exported far and wide across this planet. It has now diverged into so many ways in all the different countries in which it is now the standard means of communication and I think that is wonderful.

Enjoy the English Language when it is used at its best in all its different forms...and sigh when it isn't, and it certainly isn't much of the time - speaking from a British perspective. Sometimes it can be excruciating to listen to, but there you go...it is a living thing after all, like all of us who speak it.

Three cheers for the glorious English Language - I'd be quite bereft and totally lost without it in so many ways.
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:03 pm GMT
***but also one who is passionate by the English Langage and its usage***

That should of course read "passionate about the English Language"! - but I am hypnotised BY it!
Shuimo   Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:08 pm GMT
Damian in Edinburgh Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:00 pm GMT
From now on I will make no further references to the issue outlined in my last posting....it is now over and done with as far as I'm concerned. I've declared myself as a normal human being who is himself...but also one who is passionate by the English Langage and its usage....a precious commodity which this country....well, England to be precise...has exported far and wide across this planet. It has now diverged into so many ways in all the different countries in which it is now the standard means of communication and I think that is wonderful.

Enjoy the English Language when it is used at its best in all its different forms...and sigh when it isn't, and it certainly isn't much of the time - speaking from a British perspective. Sometimes it can be excruciating to listen to, but there you go...it is a living thing after all, like all of us who speak it.

Three cheers for the glorious English Language - I'd be quite bereft and totally lost without it in so many ways.
===================

Wait wait, DE, who told you English is now the standard means of communication?

As I've repeated many times, the good days of English it now has is decisively due to the existence of US as the only superpower now.

Once the US is disgraced or falls apart, English wud be greatly underminded and weakened as an international language!
northpaw   Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:03 am GMT
<<Three cheers for the glorious English Language - I'd be quite bereft and totally lost without it in so many ways. >>

Actually, without the English language, you'd just write in some other language. My guess is that you'd be just as good in that other language as you are in English.

<<A new law has now been passed in the UK making all forms of homophobic comments or physical acts of a homophobic nature against homosexual people illegal.>>

I wonder if they've passed a law protecting all minorities in the UK? If so, does it prohibit badmouthing of lefties?
Antimooner K. T.   Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:03 am GMT
Damian,

The poster was joking!

"The Bible is a book that also condemns eating pork"

Probably for the health of the ancient Hebrews. Maybe it would be a good idea for some other groups as well to shun pork. All the little Wilburs of the world would thank you.

Anyway, people of some Christian background (however vague) should know that this prohibition was lifted in Acts.

"stones adulterers"
But Jesus was both hard and easy on adulterers. All people who lust are adulterers, yet he did not condemn the woman taken in adultery.

"and tells you to treat your slaves with compassion."
That was pretty progressive for those days.

Next.
Antimooner K. t.   Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:18 am GMT
Damian,

You are correct that there is no mention of Christ condemning homosexuality. However, it probably wasn't a big issue among the Jews of that time. Homosexuality was forbidden in the OT. Christ was very aware of the laws of the Old Testament.

If the Bible is true, then homosexuality is a change from the way God set it out in the OT with man and woman being made for each other.

I don't know how Britain balances freedom of speech and religion with such a law. Of course, it's hard to say what defines "homophobia".

If you view the Bible and Christianity (and some do it this way, cafeteria-style Catholicism, for example) as take the pomp and leave out the consequences, you have that right. I believe in both free will and free speech.

But laws like the one you describe seem destined to curb ordinary discussion on the Bible, religion, etc. I see Britons being robbed of some of their freedoms.

What are your thoughts, Antimooners?
Edward Teach   Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:32 am GMT
Yes, freedom to offer any sort of criticism is being suppressed in Britain.
Anyone who offers up any kind of negative judgement is branded 'ignorant'.

'Ignorant' is a term that is increasing in popularity while losing its original meaning. The modern definition of 'ignorant' is ' not thinking like a liberal'.

The word 'hypocrite' is being abused in much the same manner.
Antimooner K. T.   Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:28 am GMT
I don't hate you, Damian. I want you to know that.
atheist   Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:29 am GMT
Most atheists prefer moderate religious people over fundamentalists, however, my view is different.
I believe that if people are going to be religious they should follow God's word to the letter.
It's just ridiculous to think you can change the religion because you're to lazy to do what God said.
If God really exists, and laid down his law, then why do all these moderate Christians think that it's OK with God if they break his laws? Surely God has better judgement as to what is a good law than ordinary people today? God is supposed to be infallible, so why was he fallible when he said you're supposed to stone adulterers?
Edward Teach   Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:46 am GMT
That was my point atheist, there is no such thing as a gay christian.
God is against homosexuality and considers it immoral.
Technically any gay christian is a heretic and should therefore be burned.
Lucky Non Christian   Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:33 am GMT
God also condemned Adam and Eve's sexual act as a sin.

So according to your logic, all heterosexual Christians should therefore also be burned to death and sent to hell.

Luckily, I'm not a Christian.