I'm shocked by the indecency of "The Imperfect Enjoymen

Bitch   Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:23 am GMT
Wintereis, you're retarded. A poem does not have to be something profoundly deep that tells the reader something about "the human condition." It can just be witty, or interesting, or inovative, or whatever.
Wintereis   Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:04 pm GMT
Bitch: You may want to rereading my post. I say, "these are not absolutely necessary to a piece of literature, but they do go a very long way toward creating a quality piece," right after the section you cited. But, perhaps you are still learning how to read an entire paragraph on your own. It's difficult, but I believe in you buddy.
Some other guest   Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:47 pm GMT
<He has very poor verb choice: "clips me to her breast, and sucks me to her face". One sounds like she has managed to put a notebook clip around his entire body and her nipple. >

"To clip" at that time meant "to embrace", "to grip tightly". You can compare Chaucer's (earlier) "he clippeth hire full ofte", from the Merchant's Tale.

Also, "breast" did not necessarily mean "mammary gland + nipple", but simply "chest".

It is prudent not to venture into the analysis of poetry from earlier centuries until you have developed a sense of etymology.
Wintereis   Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:17 pm GMT
<<Also, "breast" did not necessarily mean "mammary gland + nipple", but simply "chest".>>

That is sooo confusing! I have never heard of such a thing. You mean breast has other meanings. Like turkey breast? OMG. What a revelation. You must be some kind of genius. I bet you have an IQ in the double digit

<<To clip" at that time meant "to embrace", "to grip tightly". You can compare Chaucer's (earlier) "he clippeth hire full ofte", from the Merchant's Tale.>>

No shit? Well, why would that be? It would be like holding or something, dude, like what a paper clip does. Wow! That's an amazing revelation too. I guess they must not have any other verbs at that time that meant to embrace or hold. Like these words must not have existed at all:

clasp, cling, clutch, cradle, cuddle, encircle, enfold, entwine, envelop, fold, grasp, grip, hug, lock, nuzzle, press, seize, snuggle, squeeze, wrap

Boy, you showed me. Clip has got to be the best verb choice there for that time period.
Some other guest   Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:36 pm GMT
< You mean breast has other meanings.>

Yes, that is correct. "Breast" in the poem does not mean "one mammary gland", as in your earlier interpretation.

<I guess they must not have any other verbs at that time that meant to embrace or hold. >

No, they had other verbs too. But "clip" did not have the sense of "notebook clip", as in your earlier interpretation.
rimple   Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:18 pm GMT
Modern pseudo-intellectual poetry is a blight, in a century they will be laughing at this deconstruction bull just like we laugh at something ridiculously lame from the 1800s.
Wintereis   Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:26 pm GMT
<<Yes, that is correct. "Breast" in the poem does not mean "one mammary gland", as in your earlier interpretation.>>

<<No, they had other verbs too. But "clip" did not have the sense of "notebook clip", as in your earlier interpretation.>>

You really are that dense. No, it's not that you are being snide or sarcastic like I was. You really are dumb. No question. Had I been "interpreting" the piece, as you suggest, I would have said "the author's intent is to illustrate that the woman in the poem is holding the speaker". (This, by the way, is so obvious an understanding that it would not take a kindergartner to understand it. I didn't realize I would have to draw diagrams from a preschooler, so I left out the obvious.) What I said was, "One sounds like she has managed to put a notebook clip around his entire body and her nipple". The use of "sounds" excludes this from being an interpretation, you see. My intent was to show that the author's use of language is far from timeless or even attractive in sound by mocking the piece. Wilmot is no Shakespeare, Marlow, or Milton. Hell, he can't even cast a shadow over Barnfield. Now, run along and play with the toys that Santa brought you.
Some other guest   Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:13 pm GMT
< the author's intent is to illustrate that the woman in the poem is holding the speaker >

That is not quite correct. The intent is not to «illustrate» that the woman holds the speaker. It is to describe.

< My intent was to show that the author's use of language is far from ... attractive in sound >

That is quite correct. It is a satirical piece. The sound is therefore not to be «attractive». You may recall the satires of Donne.

<The use of "sounds" excludes this from being an interpretation>

That is not quite correct. To say that it «sounds like she has managed to put a notebook clip round his entire body» is an interpretation of the verse. It is an anachronism, however, because Wilmot did not know what «notebook clips» might be.

<Wilmot is no Shakespeare, Marlow, or Milton.>

That is correct. He is not Shakespeare or Milton. By Marlow you mean perhaps Marlowe: and that too is correct. John Wilmot is not Marlowe.