Stunning similarities btw Chinese & English, China &

Shuimo   Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:53 pm GMT
While much talk has focused upon these well-known, marked cliche-like differences btw Chinese and English, China and USA, people tend to either be unaware of or ignore or forget the fact that huge similarities underlie the two languages and countries, and these similarities are simply stunning, as Shuimo shrewdly observes! ^_^

Stunning similarities btw Chinese and English:

Sunning similarity I:

Both Chinese and English have exactly the same word order and sentence structure!

For example, the following two sentences with the same meaning written in Chinese and English respectively match each other word by word.

他 是 个 好 学生!
He is a good student!

Stunning similarity II:

Both Chinese and English have very few inflections, and if there any, they are very simple!

For example, to express the idea of sth that happens in the past, you just have to add the suffix-like word "了" to the end of a verb in Chinese, just as you add the suffix "ed" to a verb in English. Can't be more simple!

Stunning similarity III:

Both Chinese and English have a wide rich variety of regional dialects and varieties, yet the written language remains pretty much the same!
In Chinese, there are many many dialects, like Wu dialect spoken around the Yangtse Delta, Gan dialect in Jiangxi Province, Kejia dialect in Fujian Province, and then the so called Cantonese is the more well known one........ just like English has many regional varieties, like Cockney English, Scotish English, General American English, Australian English.

Stunning similarities btw China and America:

Sunning similarity I:

Both China and America are BIG countries in a very physical sense!
China has 9,600,000 sq kilometers' land while America about 9,400,000, both stretching across a vastly expansive landmass in either the eastern or western hemispheres! And of course with an equally large amount of population,though China still beats America out of sight population wise.

Sunning similarity II:
Both China and America are huge immigrant countries!
While America is internationally oriented towards immigation, China's immigration is chiefly domestically oriented!

Stunning similarity III:
Both Chinese and Americans have an incurable obsession with being large, big, bigger, and biggest, anything that is aimed to impress! Americans would like to live an extravagant life, so do the Chinese! Both nations build large cities with large roads flooded with large cars driven by people eager to have large houses!
Both of them want to have the best ever things in their life!

Stunning similarity IV:
Both Chinese and Americans have supreme confidence and belief in their own culture/civilization!
The Chinese always regard their country as the center of the world (and it indeed was and is now restoring the reputation), just as their country's name "China" in the Chinese language suggests——中国 "Zhong Guo" just means nothing else but THE MIDDLE KINGDOM! Whereas Americans believe they are god's chosen people, and never for a moment foregt to remind themselves "god bless America".

So, the next big question:
What wud happen when the two big wheels of the world run into each other? Give rein to yr imagination!O(∩_∩)O
Robin Michael   Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:11 pm GMT
Stunning similarity IV:
Both Chinese and Americans have supreme confidence and belief in their own culture/civilization!
The Chinese always regard their country as the center of the world (and it indeed was and is now restoring the reputation), just as their country's name "China" in the Chinese language suggests——中国 "Zhong Guo" just means nothing else but THE MIDDLE KINGDOM! Whereas Americans believe they are god's chosen people, and never for a moment foregt to remind themselves "god bless America".

The Masai Mara also regard themselves has a uniquely chosen people. Such feelings are not uncommon.

Babies are born with the belief that they are the centre of the universe and it is only over time that they become disillusioned.
I survived Poughquag   Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:36 pm GMT
<<What wud happen when the two big wheels of the world run into each other? Give rein to yr imagination!O(∩_∩)O >>

I'm guessing that China will eventually conquer the US and liquidate the current population. Chinese peiople will move in, and English will not be a significant language anymore.

The rest of the world would love to see this happen.
Jasper   Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:48 pm GMT
"The rest of the world would love to see this happen."

I doubt that very much.

Europeans tend to forget that American culture is, by and large, more similar to theirs than any Oriental culture could ever be. After all, our ancestors came from Europe.

Even other Oriental cultures wouldn't necessarily want to see complete Chinese domination. The cultures of Southeast Asia and Japan differ too much from Chinese culture for this to be acceptable.
Guest   Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:13 pm GMT
"The rest of the world would love to see this happen."

I would.
Alas, it's all just hogwash.
Joyce   Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:06 pm GMT
but pronunciation of 'r' in Chinese and English sound not the same.
for example, 'ren' (人) in chinese
and 'read' in English
Shuimo   Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:32 pm GMT
Joyce Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:06 pm GMT
but pronunciation of 'r' in Chinese and English sound not the same.
for example, 'ren' (人) in chinese
and 'read' in English
======================
OK, no two sounds are exactly the same, just as there are no two words or characters with exactly the same meaning! But they can be ROUGHLY the same!

/r/ is a very common sound in both Chinese and English, though with differences! But the differences are not that marked as to render them as poles-apart different as /b/ from /k/ (again sounds both English and Chinese both have,with differences )!

That means learners of one language can easily transfer one sound they are already familiar with into another language they learn that happens to have a similar sound!

That saves you huge trouble!
Jasper   Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:16 pm GMT
Shuimo, I've been told that the grammar of Mandarin is extremely easy. However, those tones....

I worked with a Chinese national several years ago who tried to "teach" me the tones. I could hear the first three, but not the fourth. How could you speak in a tone that you could not even hear?
Joyce   Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:25 pm GMT
Shuimo, I don't think the R sound exactly the same in Chinese and English. According to the textbook, to pronounce R in English, you should open your mouth slightly, raise the middle and back of your tongue toward the roof of your mouth without touching it, and vibrate your vocal cords.
Do Chinese pronounce R in the exactly same way like above?
Trimac20   Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:29 am GMT
To my ears Mandarin sounds very rhotic, especially some dialects.
Shuimo   Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:17 am GMT
Joyce Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:25 pm GMT
Shuimo, I don't think the R sound exactly the same in Chinese and English. According to the textbook, to pronounce R in English, you should open your mouth slightly, raise the middle and back of your tongue toward the roof of your mouth without touching it, and vibrate your vocal cords.
Do Chinese pronounce R in the exactly same way like above?
=============
OH, Joyce, you just need tp read my post more carefully!
I said it is ROUGHLY the same!

The difference you mentioned is nothing difficult for any Chinese speaker of English to adapt to!

Shuimo has perfect English /r/, but I just cann't produce the terrifying Spanich /r/, how is it so?

We Chinese never speak any sound that requires such horrible trilling!LOL
Shuimo   Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:19 am GMT
Jasper Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:16 pm GMT
Shuimo, I've been told that the grammar of Mandarin is extremely easy. However, those tones....

I worked with a Chinese national several years ago who tried to "teach" me the tones. I could hear the first three, but not the fourth. How could you speak in a tone that you could not even hear?
===============

Why is the fouth tone a prob to you?

I suppose that is because the Chinese was a bad teacher?:-)
Shuimo   Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:25 am GMT
Trimac20 Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:29 am GMT
To my ears Mandarin sounds very rhotic, especially some dialects.
================

Wow, Trimac20 , you are really a genius, if you just made such remarks by observing this phenonenon yrself!LOL

I assure you that is absolutely the case!

Beijing dialect is every bit as rhotic as American English! It is just cool!

The /r/ rhoticity in Beijng dialect is extremely popular, and finds its way steadily into standard Chinese---Putonghua as well!

That partly explainly why American English is so popular here in China!

Shuimo is just a big fan and speaker of rhoticity-tinted speech!LOL
Joyce   Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:37 am GMT
Shuimo, then can you tell me in details how Chinese pronounce R in Chinese?
I would like to know the technical difference
Joyce   Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:43 am GMT
Shuimu, btw, why do you say "Shuimo has perfect English" , instead of "I have perfect English?

It sounds somehow bizzare by using Shuimo instead of I or me