How popular is Thanks giving day in the US?

Shuimo   Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:10 pm GMT
How popular is Thanks giving day in the US?
Do Americans put much premium on this festival any more?
Robin Michael   Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:05 pm GMT
The ceremony with the turkey and the speech by Obama was on British TV.
turkeyeater   Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:44 pm GMT
It's pretty popular -- most people have the day off.

Many turkeys are eaten today in the US. This year, however, in some places, hordes of wild turkeys were overruning the place, eating up everything in sight (but not the people). They even had to hold a pre-Thanksgiving turkey hunt out in Suffolk County on Long island trying to reduce the turkey overpopulation there.
Skippy   Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:51 pm GMT
It's very popular. It's not as big as Christmas, obviously, but I'd say as far as the effort goes in bringing families together to eat as much good food as possible, it's pretty close.
Rene   Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:29 am GMT
Second only to Christmas. We just gathered over 20 members of extended family, plus a few friends and stuffed ourselves with turkey, ham, potatos, gravy, yams, green bean casserole, stuffing, cranberry sauce, mystery salad, dinner roles, two kinds of pecan pie, two kinds of cheesecake, and the inevitable pumpkin pie.

And thus follows the also inevitable fat American joke.....
obese ohmygosh   Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:31 pm GMT
<<And thus follows the also inevitable fat American joke..... >>

Either here or over in the "Obese American" thread
Moionfire   Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:05 am GMT
It is a national holiday and banks/government/schools close, and it is not religious, so most americans celebrate it...
fry   Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:20 am GMT
Most people get two days off (Thursday and Friday). Thanksgiving weekend is the busiest US domestic travel period. Lots of people get together with family.

In other words, yes, it's a very well-observed holiday.
Wintereis   Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:18 am GMT
Also, the day after Thanksgiving is Black Friday. It is the biggest shopping day of the year. It is called Black Friday because that is the day that stores, that are in the red (not provitable), go into the black (become profitable). Though, that is not necessarily the case this year or last.

I usually avoid stores on this day.
grocery shopper   Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:30 pm GMT
<<I usually avoid stores on this day. >>

Actually, grocery stores (at least ones that are separate from other stores that are probabbly mobbed) are pretty good that day.
Uriel   Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:42 am GMT
I don't know ANYBODY who doesn't do Thanksgiving in the US. It's pretty universal, unless you just stepped off the boat and your feet are still damp!
Merry Devilmas!   Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:52 am GMT
I don't do Thanksgiving. I do Fuckyougiving. Basically it is similar to Thanksgiving, replacing the "thank"s with "fuck you"s, correspondingly replacing the spirit of joy and cheer with one of selfishness, contempt and loathing.
vietnam   Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:57 am GMT
GOOKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:43 pm GMT
***I usually avoid stores on this day*** - as a contributor says above.....I am aware of the importance of Thanksgiving to the American people - they have to have something to remind them of the happy day on which they finally got rid of the nasty Brits.

To us in Scotland Hogmanay (New Year) is the BIG occasion in the Scottish calendar....thats when we Scots REALLY go wild.....but taking of stores it is right now, at this time of the year, when it's best to "avoid the stores"...the following YT clip shows the scene in Princes Street, Edinburgh during the late afternoon during run up to Christmas....yes, best avoided at all costs if shopping in crowded stores is not what you relish In this clip the language we hear is apparently Polish, and we have plenty of Poles living here and they are very welcome, although a substantial number of them have returned to Poland due to the recent economic downturn - I liked all those I've personally met or encountered on a casual basis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9WxqTOX23M
Uriel   Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:48 am GMT
No, no, Damian -- Fourth of July is the day we celebrate getting rid of those pesky Brits. Thanksgiving was INVENTED by Brits -- to celebrate not having starved to death due to being utterly unprepared to deal with America. In 1620, let's face it -- they were just a few months off the boat, nowhere near the main colony in Virginia, and about as American as Yorkshire pudding.