Portugal Vs. Spain bickering brothers

Sander   Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:27 pm GMT
=>Will you ever stop this stupid internal latino battle ?

It's time to grow up! <=

Not a post by me, I could'nt care less what you're doing here.
Gaúcho   Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:46 pm GMT
For us Brazilians it is not easy to understand standard Continental Portuguese because Portuguese people don't pronounce all the vowes, they cut and shorten words and all you can hear is a consonantal sequence mess. It has nothing to do with exposure. Continental Portuguese DOES not sound understandable unless spoken very very very slowly (but again Portuguese people never speak slowly).
Guest   Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:21 pm GMT
The reason why u say this, is because u havent been exposed to Continental Portuguese, ask any brazilian dude who has ever stayed in Portugal for a few time, and get the answer by them. By the way, it's true, Portuguese people never speak slowly but the same can be said about spanish people when questioned about the difference between Standard Castillean and Latin america castillean, but even though both native speakers can understand each other because there are something called EXPOSITION in both countries, whereas in Brazil its not common to see any artist or tv show in Brazilian Tv.
Guest   Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:23 pm GMT
from Portugal, obviously
eu sou eu   Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:09 am GMT
i went to Portugal and i couldnt understand anything, they have different slang and a funny accent...Spain i could understand people better, becuase i learned spanish in argentina...an ocean makes a difference...ill put it that way.
Tiago   Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:49 am GMT
i have to congratulate u for being the only one who came to Portugal and couldn't understand anything. I have lots of brazilian friends who didnt had the slightest problem in understanding Portuguese from Europe. Maybe we ( portuguese ) are smarter than brazilians, since we can understand the portuguese spoken in Brazil. It's not me, who's making this sentence, but brazilians since they can't really understand us. as for spanish, i really think that portuguese has an high degree of similarity with the spanish, never had spanish at school but i have no problems when it comes to talking to Spaniards.
eu sou eu   Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:04 am GMT
maybe becuase I grew up also speaking guarani (paraguayan native language) and becuase in Brazil there is much more native influence on the language, that if you go away a few miles you will hear words you cant understand...i think that depending on where in Brazil you are from you speak more or less Portuguese (meaning with more or less influences from other languages) becuase where i lived was close to Paraguay and so there was more Guarani and Tupi influence, and that maybe why i could not understand anything, because obviously in Portugal there are nto those influences...obviously though names stay the same ( eu sou Tiago tambem)
Juca   Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:21 am GMT
well, maybe u dont know, but the portuguese spoken in Europe has slighty variations depending on the region. The accent in Lisbon its different than the accent used in the inner parts of Portugal or even in the south ( Algarve ), not to mention if u go to the islands ( Madeira or Azores ) its very hard to understand to what they say. I have no problems saying that i understand better the portuguese spoken in Brazil than the portuguese spoken in Madeira or Azores, lololol. But like it was told before, this happens mainly because we all watch brazilian tv shows, soap operas and music, so we are a lot more exposed to brazilian accent than the portuguese from the islands. I think the spanish spoken in south america its more easily understandable to portuguese speakers, at least i have no problems watching soap operas from latin america, i think its quite similar to the portuguese spoken from Brazil. The spanish from Spain although its not so different, its sometimes not so understandable, cuz they speak very fast, just like we, the portuguese. But i would say both languages are quite similar.
Hugo   Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:12 am GMT
"...the 16th century Portuguese poet Luís de Camões wrote in one of his works: ...castellanos y portugueses, porque españoles lo somos todos... ("Castilians and Portuguese: for Hispanioles we all are."). The whole peninsula was still referred to as España from the term Hispania".And don't forget there's a great similarity in both languages and cultures.
marcelo   Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:37 pm GMT
don't compare us to spaniards and castellans as the same......
cruz from cali   Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:30 pm GMT
well, as for me being a third generation mexican american i don't speak a word of spanish because my parents decided not to teach me because of the racial descrimination hardships they endure growing up in california. anyways, i'm currently trying to teach myself spanish but what i'm noticing is a huge trend of indegenious mexicans who not only speak spanish but their true indegenious native language mixed in with spanish. what does this mean. It doesn't mean anything important except I just wanted to share this little info on this forum. I believe that there isn't just one pure spanish language spoken in the world but its a language that has evolved over time and over regions and enthnic differences. Its amazing to hear other ethnic groups speak spanish like the philipinos because they too speak their true native language mixed in with spanish. The Spanish language continues to evolve, but who know how this great language is going to sound in the next hundred years.....so enjoy our similiar languages and respect its beautiful differences........cya
humanun   Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:30 pm GMT
I brazilian, and i have no problem to understand ,spanish, or portuguese from other countrys, but i think that what makes the differences on portuguese, spanish, and brazilian portuguese, is the gramar of the languages, and to put an and on this , we have to study which civilizations did collide, to create this languages .
And we can not forget that both languages have the latin as mather language.
Godot   Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:48 am GMT
JGreco,

Why using "bickering" on the title? Is there any bickering going on between the Portuguese and the Spanish people? Where did you get the idea that this would make a good topic?

Why "brothers" and not "sisters"?
Naldo   Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:53 pm GMT
The thread " do you like Brazilian Portuguese" has been stopped as you can't post a reply anymore. Why is that , MJD?
brazzil   Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:51 am GMT
To understand the correlation between statism and Brazilian-style corruption one needs to consider this reality of a state that is historically above society. Statism in Brazil is a by-product of an old "spoils-system" inherited from Portugal, a country where the monarch granted to his staff and preferred subjects all sorts of graces and favours at the expense of the law.

Statism also finds its early roots in Portugal's disdain for economic freedom. In Portugal's Catholic medieval hierarchy, the class of entrepreneurs (traders) was ranked lowest on the social scale. In that country, "as in Communist China and Marxist Russia", explains C.R. Boxer, "the merchant was regarded as a parasitic and profiteering middle-man, resolved to enrich himself at the expense of his fellow-men".

Another factor that contributed to statism was the slavery system, which lasted longer in Brazil than in any other nation in the Western world. It was only abolished in 1888. In his 1879 visit to Brazil, U.S. historian Herbert H. Smith associated slavery with a certain "culture of indolence, pride, and selfishness" that, in his opinion, made many Brazilians aspire to live "as parasites on others or on the government".

Centuries of slavery had the effect of debasing the value of labour and pervert the sense of individual liberty and responsibility. It generated a society with deep contempt for any work other than that of a public job.

As a result, the state became, in the words of the great abolitionist leader Joaquim Nabuco, "the refuge of the descendents of the rich and noble families who squandered the fortunes acquired through slavery".