Portugal Vs. Spain bickering brothers

Guest   Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:03 pm GMT
8. Portuguese
Number of speakers: 191 million

Think of Portuguese as the little language that could. In the 12th Century, Portugal won its independence from Spain and expanded all over the world with the help of its famous explorers like Vasco da Gama and Prince Henry the Navigator. (Good thing Henry became a navigator . . . could you imagine if a guy named "Prince Henry the Navigator" became a florist?) Because Portugal got in so early on the exploring game, the language established itself all over the world, especially in Brazil (where it's the national language), Macau, Angola, Venezuela, and Mozambique.

To say "hello" in Portuguese, say "Bom dia" (bohn DEE-ah).
Karyoka   Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:59 pm GMT
it is bon jee-ah, and not bohn deeah
Guest   Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:58 am GMT
Actually bohn DEE-ah was right, I don't know why you are picking on such a small thing, probably in the hopes of starting another fight, since you lost your thread...
The pronounciation of dia as jee-ah is common only in certain parts of Brazil, such as Rio de Janeiro and the poorish north-west region and some African countries.
CHINESE   Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:53 am GMT

<<<Actually bohn DEE-ah was right,...>>>

Yes, your answer is all right. But, I prefer Brazilian pronunciation.
Guest   Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:56 pm GMT
Which Brazilian pronunciation? The one with Dee-ah or the one with jee-ah, cause Brazil is a big country and you can find different accents in different places inside Brazil, like Jee-ah as I stated above or Dhee-ah in the south-western region of Brazil and Dee-ah in the south of Brazil, etc...
CHINESE   Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:04 pm GMT
Accurately speaking, I'm very fond of the pronunciation of South Brazil.

It means that I like the region where people speak jee-a instead of dee-a.
port   Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:37 am GMT
im portuguese, and im taking spanish as a second language in school
im having no troubles at all learning spanish and i can completely understand it. But there are many differences between the two languages and i required a considerable amount of learning before i could confidently say that i could speak spanish. Portuguese has a much larger vocabulary and more complex grammar structure such as all the contractions and conjugations in Portuguese. I really dont like it when people say that theyre the same language, or dialects of the same language, cause they are very different.
CHINESE   Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:47 am GMT
PORT

You mean that Portuguese is more difficult than Spanish?

And what about Italian? You can understand it? Italian is more difficult than Portuguese? Italian is more different from Span and Port?
Kendra   Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:32 am GMT
Bom gee-a is General Brazilian pronunciation, used in Southeast (S. Paulo, Rio, Minas, Espírito Santo), in the Brazilian Midwest (Mato Grosso, Distrito Federal-Brasilia) and many parts of Brazilian South and Northeast.
I'd say 90 % of us say BOM GEE-A. BOM DEE-A is considered rural pronunciation of some distant places, and can be compared to hwitch pronunciation in English... (in Texas they say [hwitch] instead of [witch]) But [witch] is considered General American and [hwitch] regional.

General Brazilian pronunciation is the one used by Brazilian newscasters. And in real life, it corresponds to the pronunciation patterns of our capital BRASILIA-DF and some coastal cities like VITORIA-ES
Kendra   Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:34 am GMT
Brazilian has a much larger vocabulary and more complex grammar structure such as all the contractions and conjugations in Brazilian. I really dont like it when people say that Brazilian and Portuguese the same language, or dialects of the same language, cause they are very different
Kayo   Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:09 am GMT
“Nós, no Brasil, presos à gramática "portuguesa", somos vítimas de uma desintegração dolorosa de nós mesmos. [...]
A língua brasileira, já ninguém discute isso, diverge da portuguesa; é esta, entretanto, que a escola continua a ensinar ao brasileiro”.

(Mário Marroquim, 1931: 169-171)
Helena   Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:16 am GMT
concordo pelnamente com vc , Kayo. Precisamos lembrar que já somos independentes de Portugal, e isso inclui liberdade lingüística
Denis   Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:17 am GMT
Eu sou brasileiro e nós somos brasileiros aqui e fazemos o que bem entender com a nossa língua. Até mandar ela para a puta que pariu!

Pra mim, só os brasileiros têm algum direito sobre a língua deles e não toleraria nenhum português dizendo como devemos chamar a nossa língua ou dizendo que devemos usar uma gramática diferente da maneira que se fala no Brasil, só porque uma meia dúzia de portugueses assim fala e assim acha bonito.
Lattermann   Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:09 am GMT
TEN TOP REASONS WHY BRAZILIANS DON'T UNDERSTAND PORTUGUESE

1. Portuguese is too difficult and Brazilians have small brains
2. Portuguese is a sophisticated European language
3. Brazilians want a language that only they can speak
4. Portuguese say more with less and fast
5. Brazilians need five minutes to order their coffee
6. Brazilians have short memories and big asses
7. Brazilians need to count syllables while they speak
8. Brazilians need a Portuguese grammar for dummies
9. Brazilians are not good at math either
10. Brazilians have their own language: Brazuguese
Tradutora   Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:05 am GMT
Denis escreveu em Brazugues:

Eu sou brasileiro e nós somos brasileiros aqui e fazemos o que bem entender com a nossa língua. Até mandar ela para a puta que pariu!

Pra mim, só os brasileiros têm algum direito sobre a língua deles e não toleraria nenhum português dizendo como devemos chamar a nossa língua ou dizendo que devemos usar uma gramática diferente da maneira que se fala no Brasil, só porque uma meia dúzia de portugueses assim fala e assim acha bonito.

Tradução para Português:

Eu sou brasileiro e nós somos brasileiros aqui e fazemos o que MUITO bem entendeMOS com a nossa língua. Até PODEMOS mandÁ-LA para a puta que A pariu!

PAra mim, só NÓS os brasileiros TEMOS algum direito sobre a NOSSA língua e não tolerarEMOS QUE QUALQUER português NOS DIGA como devemos chamar a nossa língua ou QUE NOS DIGA que devemos usar uma gramática diferente DAQUILO QUE FALAMOS no Brasil, só porque uma meia dúzia de portugueses QUE FALA A LÍNGUA PORTUGUESA HÁ MAIS DE 800 ANOS assim acha bonito.