Scottish Independence?

hingo   Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:36 am GMT
Since there are lots of Scots and Brits on this forum, I'll ask here:
I've seen some info about a referendum to be held next year on Scottish independence. Is it likely that Scotland will become independent? What are the chances? What would happen if they voted "yes", would there be a war?
Damian in Epsom, Surrey   Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:53 am GMT
What are the chances of Scotland becoming an independent nation separate from the United Kingdom?

Zilch....a non starter. It just will not happen.

As usual in most aspects of life it is the minorities who are the most vocal, and who manage to get the most publicity. Surely you have heard of the expression "The Silent Majority" and it is this very group in Scotland who simply do not wish to have "Independence" foisted upon them.

Support for the Scottish National Party (the SNP) runs at around 20% at the very most of the electorate in Scotland and in the UK General Election due next spring this will become manifestly clear.

In the recent Glasgow North East Westminster Parliamentary By-election the SNP came way down in the voting league overall.

A Scottish breakaway from the United Kingdom is unthinkable in the minds of at least 80% of the Scots....we would have too much to lose, as we quite like the funding we receive from our beloved English neighbours, bless their Sassenach hearts.

We are "different" in Scotland in many ways, but at the same time we like to be the "same", if you get my drift.

It just isn't going to happen....it would be a case of cutting off our noses to spite our faces.

By the way...today 30 November is Scotland's National Day...St Andrew's Day. And here I am down in England...never mind.....I'll be taking yon High Road hame to Bonnie Scotland tomorrow......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xgwRitTgU4&feature=related
.   Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:14 pm GMT
Scotland is already independent in my view.
It is those damn nasty Sassenachs what be the tane.
Scot rebel   Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:59 am GMT
terrorism ftw
Cris the Cymro   Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:07 am GMT
I hope Yr Alban becomes independant of Lloegr, I also hope we in Cymru get our independance as well. Cymru am Byth.