Is Afrikaans Basically the Same As Dutch?

Frank   Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:52 am GMT
Should they even be considered separate languages? I heard that Dutch speakers can understand Afrikaans ones.
CID   Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:31 am GMT
The two languages have different grammars, different vocabularies, different rules for spelling, and different recent histories.

They are different, albeit closely related, languages.
Baldewin   Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:08 am GMT
Still, we understand each other fluently. Sometimes we don't understand some word or idiom, but that's really it actually. Literature in Afrikaans lies for grasping for Dutch-speakers.
We should pay more attention for each other's culture, in my opinion. As for lately, the cowardly western press has put a stigma of Apartheid on the entire Boer people (even though the history behind it is more complex). This has caused Dutch-speaking to back-off and ignore their culture. Nowadays the discussion is rising whether to de Taalunie work together with die Taalkommissie. I am all for it!

There are even Afrikaner groups who shout for more Dutch attention. Look here: http://www.afrikaans.nu/.

This is no nationalism, but one has to take advantage of one's own cultural influential atmosphere.
CID   Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:45 am GMT
So there gives actually a movement to enfold Afrikaans back into Dutch?

Why? I like that Afrikaans is a recent language sprung out in our time. It's good to see language evolution going on before our eyen.

But I guess I can see it from the other side too. Well, if Afrikaans go away, it will be a sad day, but that might bode better for Dutch for it will reinforce the position of Dutch globally.

Oh well.
Baldewin   Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:14 am GMT
They would still speak Afrikaans, but just be exposed to Dutch more often. Dutch-speaking are tolerant for the variant of their language, more so than in their imperialistic past.
Who knows, Afrikaans might influence Dutch.
???   Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:20 am GMT
Isn't Afrikaans grammar far more simplified than Dutch? Even more so than English? Aren't there no verb conjugations, no irregular verbs, no progessive form, only present perfect used to form the past most of the time, no gender, maybe only the odd adjective ending?
Baldewin   Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:22 am GMT
That is correct. I also think we understand Afrikaans better than that they understand us, but they do understand simple language in Dutch.
Frank   Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:31 am GMT
Baldewin, I agree about the stigma regarding Apartheid. Of course, it was an evil thing that slowed down South Africa's political and cultural progress. But I think we all need to move beyond it. South Africans can learn from that mistake and just continue.

Personally, I think that Afrikaans and Dutch are really charming languages. I would love to learn it if there were more tools available. I'll probably go to the Netherlands sometime in the future to learn Dutch better.
Jola   Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:09 am GMT
Dutch companies have call centers in Capetown, because it*s easy for speakers of Afrikaans (dialet of Dutch) to imitate Dutch accent.
Is   Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:07 am GMT
Is Chavacano basically the same as Spanish?
Is Luxemburgish basically the same as German?
Is Caboverdean basically the same as Portuguese?
Is Jerriais basically the same as French?
Is Scots basically the same as English?
Is Norwegian Bokmaal basically the same as Danish?
Franco   Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:59 am GMT
If Afrikaans is not the same as Dutch then Brazilian Portuguese isn't the same as Iberian Portuguese.
fraz   Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:01 pm GMT
There are more black speakers of Afrikaans than white, so there is no need for any lingering linguistic hang-ups about Apartheid.
Leslie   Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:08 pm GMT
Is Caboverdean basically the same as Portuguese?
---
Not really.
Most Capeverdians don't speak Portuguese at all, these are people who emigrated from these islands to Boston or Rotterdam (they speak CapeVerdeian creole as their mother tongue, and English/Dutch as their 2nd language).
Little Tadpole   Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:07 pm GMT
How's the situation of white flight in South Africa, now? The last I checked it was still pretty depressing. I remember at the beginning people were saying that South Africa was home, that the white did not really have anywhere else to go. But then, gradually, white people did start some sort of a slow exodus. Has the situation stabilized, or is it still on-going?
fraz   Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:52 pm GMT
Are there any white Afrikaaners in South Africa who would struggle to speak English?