Better English: Brits or Americans

Edward Teach   Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:57 am GMT
I can only speak for my own experiences E-rock but I assure you that amongst teachers here in Thailand, Americans are more likely to be language-nazis. I do not consider either to be superior, in fact the idea that any language can be superior is a bit weird.
Wintereis   Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:16 am GMT
We have gone over this several times. There is and can be no correct or incorrect dialect or language. They just are, and they function with their own rules of grammar, vocabulary, and pronunciation. One thing that is certain, the standards set by academic institutions are artificial and arbitrary. This is why academic writers of dictionaries and other source guides must continually updated those works to keep up. They don’t create it; they follow it.
God   Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:28 am GMT
Actually there are superior dialects. American English is superior simply since it has more economic power.

Anyone who disagrees is a piece of shit who must die.
Mtti:   Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:49 am GMT
>>Actually there are superior dialects. American English is superior simply since it has more economic power.

Anyone who disagrees is a piece of shit who must die.<<

i thought god would have gone for his "superior" language, latin xD
JoyJoyJoy   Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:45 am GMT
I think English accent is classy, while american accent is a bit lazy.

But this is only my personal taste.
Damian in Edinburgh   Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:59 am GMT
***but don't post it on a forum that hasn't got shit all to do with it...***

What you said there is the exact opposite to your presumed intended meaning, as will always be the case as long as you use double negatives.

If you wish to improve your written English I suggest your enrolment on a course teaching English grammar.
daveyboy   Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:13 am GMT
Eli, the answer is in your question..lol..
plac   Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:12 pm GMT
<<What you said there is the exact opposite to your presumed intended meaning, as will always be the case as long as you use double negatives.

If you wish to improve your written English I suggest your enrolment on a course teaching English grammar. >>

Maybe he was using a dialect of English that allows double negatives? Perhaps even a superior dialect?
Guest 2   Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:31 pm GMT
Damian in Wherever, was the long post on page 1 really yours or a very clever parody?

I can't believe even you would believe all that tabloid cliché tripe.
Jasper   Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:34 pm GMT
Guest2: Maybe Damian wrote it FOR the tabloids. ;) He is a journalist, you know.
Uriel   Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:21 am GMT
Americans speak 15th century English? Somebody's got their timelines confused.
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:31 am GMT
If you compare the kind of people who appear on such crass TV programs such as the UK's extremely dire "Jeremy Kyle Show" (oh, yukky yuk!)or the "Trisha Goddard Show" (oh, yukky yuk!) and on the equivalent equally dire American versions such as "The Ricky Lake Show" (oh, yukky yuk! - and yes, even though several years old they are being regularly shown on some of the UK's subsidiary TV channels) then there is no contest whatsoever between the quality of the British and the American standard of spoken English from all those people appearing on these shows on both sides of The Pond.

All in all, the Americans come across as being more outwardly confident, more verbally expressive, less mumbling and stumbling over their words and most certainly less prone to use foul language requiring a continual series of bleep outs, bearing in mind that these programs are shown during the daytime.

You have to keep in mind the type of background many of these people sounding off and sparring and squabbling with each other on these awful programs come from....in the case of the UK anyway that would most probably be the "sink estates" of this country, ie council maintained housing developments, much more ikely to be the home of the GBU (Great British Underclass) which provides most of the individuals appearing on the stages of both Kyle and Goddard.

If the corresponding Americans are the equivalent of these Brits then in my opinion they win over the Brits for their spoken English and more "educated sounding" style of expression, the only problems for us Brits listening to them being the accents of some of them, and the propensity for using on going expressions such as "you know what I mean" or more irritatingly: "you know what I'm saying?" - constantly!

So my answer to this one, in the above scenarios, would be the Americans are better.

On a higher level - among more educated people - not much difference I don't think. Listening to either an American correspondent on an American news channel or the British equivalent - little if any difference in the standard of English all in all....only the accents are noticeably different, which may, just may, induce feelings of bias or prejudice either way among some people.
EU   Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:23 am GMT
I think Britihs English.
Armada   Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:01 pm GMT
Western American English
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:49 pm GMT
I referred to the poor standard of spoken English demonstrated by many of the scrounging and screwing scroats* and slappers* appearing on the "precious" stage of the odious Jeremy Vyle (sorry...typo...Kyle) in the odious "Jeremy Vyle Show" (so sorry..another typo - Kyle) which is shown each weekday in the UK on the ITV1 TV channel between 09:30 and 10:30 hrs (Freeview Ch 3) and reparte on Freeview Ch 6 between 14:30 and 15:40hrs.

This clown Kyle has some kind of "psychiatrist cum counsellor" on hand all the time to try and sort out all these intellect/education challenged / over fecund social welfare habitues in the vain hope of transforming them into human beings. The guy's name is Graham Stainer, and most normal people who have the misfortune to come across him in these programs, or who have the time to waste watching this crap in the first place, soon realise that he is some kind of quack.

Apart from the types of lowlife people who watch this grotesque program (the same types who appear on it) most normal people in the UK, the people who pay the taxes these leeches on, regard Jeremy Kyle and his program to be lower than a slug's belly button in the way it makes vast sums of money at the expense of the lumpen proletariat who actually volunteer to appear on this program and thus claim a very brief moment of fame on national TV while making arseholes of themselves and revealing to the world their sewer level lifestyles.

This man Stainer clearly demonstrated his sensitivity about discussing or even mentioning this godawful TV show he is party to, and just look at the way he acted right at the end of the discussion when the presenter, knowing the public image of the bloody show and its reputation, tried to persuade him to discss it.

The JKS is filmed in studios in Manchester, and from his accent I would guess that Graham Stainer himself comes from that part of England, if not Manchester then certainly nearby Lancashire...it's a North West England accent and that's for sure. What self respecting man would wear such a ridiculous wee goatee beard anyway....he always looks as if he has just finished a meal and not used his napkin properly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9t2Kzrtsek&feature=related