One unique question

Moschops   Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:35 pm GMT
Can you use one and unique together as above? I don't think it's right but I'm not clever enough to explain why not :/ Can anyone help?
Caspian   Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:50 pm GMT
I think you're right - it's tautology.
Wintereis   Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:58 pm GMT
It is correct since the “one” is indicating quantity and the “unique” is describing a quality. One can ask one unique question or one can ask several unique questions. If the sentence read, "one, single question" or a singular and unique question, it would have been redundant.

One, Singular: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyZeGOsR9IA
verily   Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:14 pm GMT
It can be used, but rather as a fixed expression, an intensifier:

"That is one unique question!" - "That is a very unique question!"
Moschops   Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:17 pm GMT
This is how it would be used...

One unique studio, six individual artists.

Is that ok then?
Wintereis   Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:28 pm GMT
I have met several unique people in my life. This means that I have met several people who are different from all other people, including each other. I have met one unique person in my life. This means that everyone but this person is the same. It can also be used as an intensifier as Verily indicated.

For a better understanding of this, I would look up the word unique in your dictionary. If you are a native speaker of a Romantic language, it is likely that the English word "unique" is a false cognate.

1. Being the only one of its kind: the unique existing example of Donne's handwriting.
2. Without an equal or equivalent; unparalleled.
a. Characteristic of a particular category, condition, or locality: a problem unique to coastal areas.
b. Informal Unusual; extraordinary: spoke with a unique accent.
Wintereis   Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:47 pm GMT
<<This is how it would be used...

One unique studio, six individual artists.

Is that ok then?>>

Oh, yes. I see what you are saying. One unique studio, six individual (or unique) artists. Yep, that is correct.
Moschops   Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:00 pm GMT
Thank you very much for your help, it just sounded wrong to me but I am outvoted anyway! :)