What's the difference between TOEFL, IELTS and CPE exams?

Pete from Peru   Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:45 pm GMT
Well, there's the question.

Also, I've heard the CPE is a lifetime certification and TOEFL is only temporary. Also TOEFL is American English only while IELTS is for English in any English Speaking country. Please enlighten me on the subject. And tell me what you think about them.

I'd like to take one of these examinations next year. So I need to know what will be most convenient for me and your opinions will help me decide.

Thanks very much in advance.

Pedro
Edward Teach   Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:44 pm GMT
It depends on what your plans for the future are, Pedro.

If you plan to study in America, then TOEFL is the one for you, if you want to study in the UK, then go for IELTS.

I have no real experience of TOEFUL but I have taught some students in preparation for their IELTS exam and the material was extremely difficult.

On the plus side, your English is extremely good for a non-native speaker.
My boss knows a great deal more about this so I will have further info for you in a couple of days, I wont see him till then.

Best of luck to you in whichever you decide to do.
BUTTFUCKER   Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:21 pm GMT
I AM
Pete from Peru   Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:36 am GMT
Thanks a lot for the info Edward.

Well, it's not like I'm planning to study abroad or something. But a good mark in such certificate will be a real plus for my CV. It will really give me more opportunities and even the chance to actually choose the place where I'd like to work.

It's very difficult for most people here to get good marks when taking these sort of tests. Most people hope to get an acceptable qualification in a TOEFL test or maybe pass the FCE.

Anyway, I think I can make it. I've been preparing myself for years. Everything started when my mom (an English teacher) taught me stuff when I was a little child. I finished my formal English studies at a language school about 5 years ago. I used to visit this forum quite often but quit it long ago because of the abusive trolling activities of some inconsiderate users.

However, I've learnt a lot here, and there. Antimoon has been a great help, and I feel quite ready for this.

Thanks for the good wishes, Edward. Any further info will be certainly appreciated.

Regards
jaj   Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:40 pm GMT
but are these exams gives you some degree or help in doing some courses like MS from GRE...
Edward Teach   Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:15 pm GMT
I asked my boss about it today.....

He said that IELTS is now widely accepted in the U.S. but British, Australian and N.Z still only accept IELTS, they wont accept TOEFL.

Apparently neither one is considered better than the other so if you are not planning to study abroad then there is nothing to choose between them except personal preference.