Hidden Message? Pictures and Language Sites

Antimooner K. T.   Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:40 pm GMT
Antimoon doesn't have the option for pictures yet (maybe it's better that way?), but why are there pictures of shirtless men on some language sites? Are they gay guys? Is it just a cultural thing? Usually it is Brazilians and Italians. I've noticed that women from certain countries also post sexy-looking pictures on serious language sites. I understand that people want to look attractive, but some of these people are not so attractive-looking and they'd look better covered up. This isn't prudishness or whatever, I just wonder what others think.

a. Just a cultural phenomena. Brazilians are beach-lovers, for example.
b. Looking for sugar daddies, rich and foolish widows
c. Advertising one's gender preference
Antimooner K. T.   Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:44 pm GMT
Or maybe it's just the best picture the person owns. I may be showing some cultural bias, but I wouldn't post a picture of myself like that even if I were single on a language site. If I were on Facebook or sharing pictures from a beach party, yes, but not otherwise. I make a distinction between party on times and party off times.
Ornate Form   Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:28 pm GMT
What site are you talking about?
K. T.   Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:12 pm GMT
I think it occurs on language learning sites that have social networking. I'm not really interested in social networking, but I like the sites that have native speakers who can correct me (without wanting to date me!).

I'd also like to know about the experiences of people who have joined places like Italki (?), LingQ, Livemocha, Lang-8, etc. and see what sites are more language-oriented than date-seeking...

I'm not single, so I don't want to deal with people who just want to talk to me if they like my picture. Maybe I'll put up a picture of a toad just to see...lol.
Trickster   Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:18 pm GMT
Juz puddapa pictcha ova hot ass sexy gal or a big brauwny dude, an dell all talk to ya, da picture dont godda be you man, it kuld be ne one man! Nobodyll eva know if its u or not, so dont sweat it man, just go wif da flow yow. I did da same yo and all dese sexi as russian birds were cummin up do me an askin me for dis and dat and i culda had n e one ov em, just send em som kash and dayd be commin over for some quick action and den sent pakin back do deir commie hole yow!
Or maybe yu juz talkin to some yung kidz who dont understand yet how da internet workz, ze same lil naive noobs hu get lured into dark alliweys by bad bad dudes.
K. T.   Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:29 pm GMT
Just mentioning this kind of thing gets the kind of pictures (here from advertiser Zoosk) that I mean.

I didn't want to mention the Russian girls (because I don't believe that all of them are gold-diggers), but yes, some of them seem that way on at least one site I've seen.

Which site is more serious about the ones I've mentioned? Thanks.