Christmas...

Eou   Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:32 am GMT
I saw a cardinal in NYC the other day.
Catholic   Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:14 am GMT
<<I saw a cardinal in NYC the other day. >>

Well I saw the Pope in Rome the other day.
Damian in Edinburgh   Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:45 pm GMT
The British/European robin is not much like the larger American robin at all, really.

As I said the British robin is synonymous with the Christmas season over here...certainly not the spring. If you checked through all the Christmas cards festooning British homes at the present time you will find that the cheeky, perky wee robin redbreast features on a good many of them, and it is considered "lucky" in Britain to spot a robin in your garden on Christmas Day, and if you have left out some nice juicy fat LIVE mealworms out on the bird feeding table then you are guaranteed to see a robin, and if you do this regularly then the robin will become your friend, and given time s/he will trust you suffienctly enough to land on the palm of your hand in order to grab the mealworm you have placed there.

Practically every gardener or allotment holder in the UK has had a robin literally trailing a few inches behind him or her as s/he turns over the soil ready for planting, the birds living in hope of some nicy juicy earthworms being unaerthed and ready for the taking as the next meal. If the gardener happens to rest for a few moments, spade still in hand, then like as not the wee robin will hop onto the top of the spade wondering why the heck the digging has stopped, the cheeky bird cocking his head to one side as two beady little eyes peer up at the lazy gardener who is merely taking a well earned breather.

The robin in Britain has been voted the nation's favourite bird, not only for its plump, round appearance and distinctive red/orange breast and, above all it's cheeky tameness, friendliness and complete trust in the human being.

There is a dark side to the robin's nature though - it is a very territorial bird - you very rarely, if ever, see more than one at any time in the same place, and a cock robin (ie a male) will literally fight to the death with another cock robin, usually over territory or, as ever, a female.

There is a saying in Britain which goes like this:

"Robin Redbreast in a cage
Puts all heaven in a rage!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeqeD7N3u7s&feature=related

Happy Boxing Day to everyone in the UK. If you have been to a morning Boxing Day meeting of the fox hounds and huntsmen and huntswomen I hope you enjoyed it. The Daily Telegraph this morning hints at the possibility of a newly elected Conservative administration this coming spring making the actual hunting of foxes legal again in Britain.

I really don't know whether to smile or burst into tears at this.

We have cardinals in Britain as well.....they wear nice regalia and officiate at Mass. ;-)
Damian in Edinburgh   Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:49 pm GMT
The robin in that YT clip was filmed feeding in a snowy garden in Kdderminster, Worcestershire, England, apparently. Obviously the garden owner is very much a robin fan as you will see if you click on his ID.
Damian in Edinburgh   Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:51 pm GMT
It's actually Kidderminster
far from Bovina   Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:05 pm GMT
<<Practically every gardener or allotment holder in the UK has had a robin literally trailing a few inches behind him or her as s/he turns over the soil ready for planting, >>

Around here (up in the Catskills, close to Bovina), a Robin may follow you at a safe distance (perhaps 10-20 feet) as you dig rocks out of your lawn, uncovering fresh dirt.