primary, second and..

CT   Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:28 pm GMT
I know grades schools are primary schools, middle and high schools are secondary schools, so what do you call collages? higher education?
Guest   Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:45 pm GMT
In New Zealand the term 'College' isn't used like how most Americans refer to describe 'University'.

New Zealand Schools
3 years in Kindergarten
5 years in Primary School
2 years in Intermediate School (Like a middle school)
6 years in College (American version of High School)

Followed by University or Polytech(prep school for university for students who did not gain sufficient grades from college(high school) to go directly to University)
CT   Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:55 pm GMT
Thanks. Is 6 years in College compulsory education in New Zealand?
Guest   Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:20 pm GMT
<Thanks. Is 6 years in College compulsory education in New Zealand? >

Til the age of 16 education by law is compulsory.
Guest   Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:17 am GMT
<Thanks. Is 6 years in College compulsory education in New Zealand? >

<Til the age of 16 education by law is compulsory.>

That would usually be your 4th or 5th year in College.
CT   Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:33 pm GMT
That's about the same in US. Thanks again.
Tiffany   Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:29 pm GMT
No it's not. School is compulsory in the US til the age of 18 and none of the schools that are required are called College. College in the US is like University there and it's optional, though recommended ;).
Guest   Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:15 pm GMT
18? Wow thats quite interesting.

Does the legal age vary from state to state?

I just noticed you have a year less though the US school system from Grade 1 to Grade 12 while we have it from Year 1 (We call our grades 'years') to Year 13.
Tiffany   Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:30 pm GMT
Kindergarten is required and not called a "grade" or "year", though it is. So that would make it the same amount of "grades" or "years" if you guys only have Year 1 through 13. Where are you from?
Guest   Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:39 pm GMT
I'm from New Zealand.

Kindergarten isn't compulsory in New Zealand so that could explain the extra year.

From the age of 5 - 16 is when education by law is compulsory.
Kirk   Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:39 pm GMT
Actually, it can vary by state regarding the range of compulsory education in the US. While many kids do start with kindergarten, not all states require it. Similarly, some states have compulsory education till age 16 and others till age 18. Here's the Wikipedia article on education in the US:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_the_US
Tiffany   Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:57 pm GMT
Really? That is interesting! I always it was compulsary till the end of high school. Where does it talk about how many ears are compulsary by state?
Ben   Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:07 pm GMT
Tertiary education

Ben.
american nic   Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:45 am GMT
Here in Minnesota school's compulsary until 16, however, most students stay through graduation or else if they drop out it has little to do with the legal age.
andre in usa   Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:21 am GMT
You can drop out of high school at age 16 here in Pennsylvania. I thought it was like that in all states, but apparently not.