did

ee   Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:08 pm GMT
whats the difference between..."i did sit on the bench" and "i sat on the bench"?
Uriel   Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:19 am GMT
You use the simple "I sat on the bench" when it is just a statement of fact, but you use the "did sit" construction when there is some question about whether or not the bench-sitting took place and you need to confirm that it really happened. It emphasizes the affirmative -- "I did sit on the bench" equals "yes, it's true, I sat on the bench".
Caspian   Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:39 am GMT
You ALWAYS say "I did sit on a bench."
Robin Michael   Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:23 pm GMT
I always respect Uriel's opinion.

I am not quite sure what point Caspian is making.

I sat on the bench.

Did you sit on the bench?

Yes, I sat on the bench.

Did you? Yes, I did sit on the bench.

(It is not necessarily Caspian who answers under the name of Caspian. Unfortunately in Antimoon there are a group of individuals who enjoy causing other people problems.)
I survived Poughquag   Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:39 pm GMT
<<You ALWAYS say "I did sit on a bench." >>

Actually, I would SELDOM say it like this. I'd use the plain "I ast on a bench" form, unless there was some question as to whether or not I did in fact sit on that bench.

<<Robin Michael Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:23 pm GMT
I always respect Uriel's opinion.

I am not quite sure what point Caspian is making.

I sat on the bench.

Did you sit on the bench?

Yes, I sat on the bench.

Did you? Yes, I did sit on the bench.

(It is not necessarily Caspian who answers under the name of Caspian. Unfortunately in Antimoon there are a group of individuals who enjoy causing other people problems.)
>>

The username "Uriel" could have been faked, too. However that post seems to accurately describe current US usage of "did sit" vs "sat.

BTW -- "I did pass through Poughquag earlier today, and I did survive."
Qwaggmireland   Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:59 am GMT
Did the benchsitter sit on the beechen bench or did they sit on the edge of a bed in a bedsit in the little town of Hilltopbedsit on Avon?
Qwaggmireland   Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:27 am GMT
Bedwetting benchsitter confirms they did sit on beechen bench and not elmen bench at the back of their middlerise bedsit in Hilltopbedsit on Avon.
Peter Griffin   Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:38 am GMT
Holy crip he's a crapple!