Doesn't matter which article I use?

Tom   Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:33 pm GMT
I am writing an article about the flap t and I've just realized that in some places I don't have a strong intuition as to which article I should use.

Here is one part that is particularly interesting:

In phonemic transcriptions, (the / __) flap t is represented with the same symbol as (the / __) regular t. Nevertheless, some dictionaries use the D symbol to indicate the places where (a / the / __) flap t is normally pronounced.

Here are my current thoughts:

1. "the flap t" definitely sounds better, but I'm not sure "flap t" alone would be an error.
2. "regular t" and "the regular t" sound about equally good.
3. This one is the strangest: "a flap t", "the flap t" and "flap t" all sound good to me!

Whadday'all think?
Entbark   Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:22 am GMT
1) Sounds best without an article since that is the subject of your article. If your article covered more subjects, then use a definite article. If this is the first reference to flap T in your article, a definite article would be best.

2) Use no article if you did not in 1), but use an indefinite article if you used a definite article.

3) Indefinite article sounds best here, but you could get away with any of the three.
upstater   Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:25 pm GMT
In these places, I think it doesn't matter all that much whether the article is used or not. It may be more a matter of style and the "sound" or "flow" of the sentences, rather than real grammar.

Note that the "the" in front of "places" is also optional, although "the" is required before "D" and "same symbol".