Assimilation and elision

Robin Michael   Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:53 am GMT
Dear Achab

I think you are being a little bit rude to say the least. It was not obvious to me what you were going on about. There is no such thing as 'Underground English'. I looked at the dictionary definition of the words you were using as a basis for understanding what you were trying to say.

I was going to say something but I have thought better of it. There are too many examples on Antimoon of people being gratuitously insulting.

The threads on Antimoon are open to all. Anyone can comment on any thread.

Thanking you in advance. Hopefully you will not be so rude in the future. Please read the forum rules.

If you genuinely take issue with anything that I have said, then say what it is that has upset you. But to be insulting for the sake of being insulting is descending to the level of Butt Fuck.

>>
To everyone but Robin Michael,

Thank you for your interesting comments. I may post more snippets from the same course in the coming days in order to check its slant and accuracy.

To Robin Michael,

What I mean by "underground English language course" is a not particularly well-known English language course of which I didn't want to disclose the title.

Having said that, I found your "commentary" rather stupid and completely off-topic. I don't really like to see your postings in any thread that I open since they never fail to strike me as nothing more than useless chattering completely unrelated to the ongoing discussion and set to lead such discussion astray. I don't really get amused by seeing my threads soiled by the dirt of which your postings are made. So I gently ask you to not insert any posting of yours in any thread of mine in the future.

Thank you in advance, Robin Michael.

Wonderful Winter,

Achab

>>
bewildered   Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:07 am GMT
<<If you genuinely take issue with anything that I have said, then say what it is that has upset you.>>

He said clearly what he took issue with. He found your commentary

"rather stupid and off-topic"

and that your posts

"never fail to strike me as nothing more than useless chattering completely
unrelated to the ongoing discussion and set to lead such discussion astray"

That seems pretty clear to me. And no, it's not insulting. It's being honest and objective and I wholly agree with him. It is constructive criticism. Just stop, ok? Just stop.
Guest   Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:43 am GMT
Robin is a new kind of troll: Maso-Troll.

He's playing stupid in order to receive insults which bring him pleasure.
Achab   Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:28 am GMT
To Robin Michael,

You claim that there is no such thing as 'Underground English'. So what? Have I claimed otherwise?

The term I used, "underground English language course," was supposed to indicate an "underground course on the English language," not a "course on Underground English".

And I think I was right in supposing that people would grasp what I meant, as basically all of them, but you of course, did.

Anyone can post in any thread, sure. But I'm gently asking you to not post anything in any thread of mine. This is a *personal request*, not a rule that I'm trying to press on the forum. Would you be so kind to comply with this desire of mine?

Yeah, as if I need to be tutored by you on how I shouldn't learn too much slang, or on how I should focus on the difference between "advice" and "advise."

No, wait, you must be right. I read a few usage dictionaries cover-to-cover, and it just dawned on me that this advice/advise thing is the only bit I failed noticing, in spite of the fact that it's probably placed in the very first pages. That's scary, eh?

Comply with my request, please...

With every good wish,

Achab
Robin Michael   Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:22 pm GMT
Dear Achab

I am quite happy to correspond with someone who uses exaggerated politeness. In the House of Commons representatives of the opposing parties in the heat of verbal exchanges will use expressions like: the right honourable gentleman etc. Generally there is a lack of moderation here, so I appreciate you civility.

I was surprised by you attack on me. I was not aware that I was attacking you. I was not aware that I had offended you in the past.

"underground English language course"

an "underground course on the English language"

Could I ask you to explain yourself?

What do you mean by an underground course on the English language?

The actual title of the course might give us a clue.

On a slightly wider note. You use words like: "Assimilation and elision" which are not common English words. You used these words as the title of your Topic. Surely it is quite reasonable to ask what these words mean, and in what context they are being used. Although I am a native English speaker I have never come across the word 'elision'.

I noticed that you also used another word 'parse', which I have come across before that has a rather narrow technical meaning. So again, I am not entirely sure what you meant by this word.

You also described my 'chatterings' - this is a word that you have made up.

Words that you probably have not heard of, that have a similar meaning are: blether, and blithering. These are low usage words, or words that are only used within a limited linguistic community.

I think that you are foolish to think that what other people are saying is nonsense, just because you do not understand what they saying. Also, just because you know one or two technical expressions, that does not mean that you have a wide vocabulary or a good knowledge of English. It just means that you can repeat some words that you heard on an obscure course.
Robin Michael   Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:32 pm GMT
What does the word 'elision' mean?

E`li´son
n. 1. Division; separation.
2. (Gram.) The cutting off or suppression of a vowel or syllable, for the sake of meter or euphony; esp., in poetry, the dropping of a final vowel standing before an initial vowel in the following word, when the two words are drawn together.

Notice: The word is spelt 'elison' not 'elsion'

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Elison

Elision is the omission of one or more sounds (such as a vowel, a consonant, or a whole syllable) in a word or phrase, producing a result that is easier for the speaker to pronounce. Sometimes, sounds may be elided for euphonic effect.

Elision is normally unintentional, but it may be deliberate. The result may be impressionistically described as "slurred" or "muted."

So, are we meant to be talking about elison or elision?

Is elison an example of elision?

The elided form of a word or phrase may become a standard alternative for the full form, if used often enough. In English, this is called a contraction, such as can't from cannot. Contraction differs from elision in that contractions are set forms that have morphologized, but elisions are not.

Is elison a contracted form of elision that is now part of the standard vocabulary?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elision

Yours sincerely
Guest   Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:19 pm GMT
Ok, I'm gonna torture you by NOT insulting you, because that's what you want, LOL!
juice   Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:23 pm GMT
Guest, I think you're right. I must give it all up to Robin Michael though, it took me so long to realise the truth. That is skilful trolling. Robin Michael is a master of the art.
Guest   Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:33 pm GMT
He's good, because he doesn't realize what he's up to. It's pure zen, hehe.
Robin Michael   Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:41 pm GMT
I am a sinner: just forgive me for my sins, Achab!
Charlus   Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:24 pm GMT
Robin Michael, "chatterings" is a perfectly good English word. Consult the OED.
Charlus   Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:31 pm GMT
<Notice: The word is spelt 'elison' not 'elsion' >

No, it's not spelt either way. It's elision.

<... So, are we meant to be talking about elison or elision?>

The word is elision.

< Is elison an example of elision? >

No, it's a misspelling. There is only one word: elision.
Robin Michael   Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:56 pm GMT
Dear Charlus

This was the result that I got from the Oxford English Dictionary. I did not get any result for 'chatterings'.

chatter
• verb 1 talk at length about trivial matters. 2 (of a person’s teeth) click repeatedly together from cold or fear.

• noun 1 incessant trivial talk. 2 a series of short quick high-pitched sounds.

— PHRASES the chattering classes derogatory educated people considered as a social group given to liberal opinions.

— DERIVATIVES chatterer noun.

— ORIGIN imitative.
Charlus   Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:07 am GMT
<This was the result that I got from the Oxford English Dictionary. I did not get any result for 'chatterings'. >

That's because you looked it up in the "compact" version on the AskOxford site.

Look it up in the real thing: a long row of blue volumes in your local library.

You'll find it there. (You may even find it in the definition for "chatteration", if you look closely.)