created

Poss   Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:32 pm GMT
"When God created the creation,..."
Can you think of another verb beside 'created' or does it sound fine in this sentence?
Pedro   Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:47 pm GMT
Willed
St. Louisan   Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:05 am GMT
Maybe "formed" or "shaped"? Perhaps you could find a substitute for "the creation" instead.
Steak 'n' Chips   Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:19 am GMT
Perhaps replace created with "built" or "crafted" or simply "made".

Or maybe swap creation with "universe" or "world" or "everything" or "all things"?

cheers!
Uriel   Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:59 am GMT
"When God willed the creation into existence..."

I think we would normally say, "When God willed Creation into existence". "Creation" (and it's up to you if you want to capitalize it and make it into a proper noun, but it is pretty common to do so in a religious context) acts like "liberty" or "history" or other intangibles in having no "the" in front of it.

When such an intangible becomes specific to a certain use, it DOES take on a "the", as in "the history of Peru" or "Roman soldiers did not have the liberty to marry as they wished", or "the creation of a good dessert". But when it is an abstract idea, it stands alone, as if it were a person's name.
Timothy   Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:36 am GMT
It would be much simpler and smoother to change "the creation."

"When God created the universe." "When God created the earth." etc.
atsamo   Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:51 am GMT
"When God created the creation,..."
Can you think of another verb beside 'created' or does it sound fine in this sentence?

No, it doesn't sound fine, it's a pleonasm.

What about this:

"When God's creation came into existence,..."
Uriel   Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:04 pm GMT
No, that uses the passive voice, as if the creation just sort of happened on its own. By using the active verb (created, willed, or whatever), you explicitly identify a cause and effect. It changes the whole flavor of the sentence to switch "God" from the subject acting upon an object (creation) to simply an adjective (God's) describing a new subject (the creation).

I'm not saying you're in any way grammatically wrong, atsamo; I'm just pointing out that the whole focus of the sentence changes drastically in your example.
Poss   Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:28 pm GMT
>>No, that uses the passive voice, as if the creation just sort of happened on its own. <<
My thought exactly when I first read it.
atsamo   Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:35 pm GMT
Right, it's passive, then back to the active voice:

"When God founded the creation..."

The problem of how to nicely substitute other verbs for "to create" seems to be a little bit tricky. And there are not so many verbs to choose from. Maybe one has to create a neologism for that, thus being involved..., er... in creation.
Timothy   Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:56 am GMT
Why are we still talking about this? As I said before:

What more needs to be said? Every other option presented sounds clunky or contrived.
atsamo   Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:49 pm GMT
"Why are we still talking about this? As I said before:

What more needs to be said? Every other option presented sounds clunky or contrived."

But the original question is about the verb, isn't it?

We are supposed to invent a verb, however clunky or contrived it is.
As I understand it is to be a verb-exercise not a noun-one.
Timothy   Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:26 pm GMT
Hmmm...

Is it an exercise? I thought it was just someone asking for help.

If it's an exercise, then I retract what I said. But I think it's just someone asking for help.