European and American Cultural Differences

PC gone too far   Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:27 pm GMT
>>We in the UK have witnessed this abuse of basic humanity at work in China only recently when they executed a British man who was clearly suffering from a mental condition which, had he been tried in a British court of law, would have been found not responsible for his actions and treated accordingly, not the case in China it seems. <<

Haha! I know a few people with bipolar disorder, and trust me, they are not unconscious of themselves. As if mental people are untouchable.

What next? Will people diagnosed with "sociopathy" be acquitted of murder? Well, at least the prisons will empty out! It's OK to kill, as long as you're a sociopath!
Armada   Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:31 pm GMT
Most of people have some kind of mental disorder.
Armada and V2   Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:34 pm GMT
<<Well, at least the prisons will empty out! It's OK to kill, as long as you're a sociopath!

>>
There is big difference between psychopathy and socipathy. The latter ones do not tend to commit crimes.
Guest   Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:39 pm GMT
The Chinese culture is anti-creativity. Chinese people believe that it is best to steal other people's ideas rather than make your own. What has China done recently that isn't just a copy of someone else? A long time ago China invented things, but at some point they forgot how.
Jasper   Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:02 pm GMT
"The Chinese culture is anti-creativity. Chinese people believe that it is best to steal other people's ideas rather than make your own. What has China done recently that isn't just a copy of someone else? A long time ago China invented things, but at some point they forgot how. "

That's exactly the point, Shuimo.

Too little regard for individualism stifles a creative nature, and that's the reason the Chinese haven't invented anything in the last century.

Instead, they pirate everybody else's inventions.

Shuimo, how are you going to defend China's piracy and corruption? You can't. Piracy and corrruption are indefensible.
Jasper   Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:06 pm GMT
Damian, despite the fact that Chinese food is very popular over here (about as popular as Indian food in the UK), I personally just don't like it a lot. I find it boring--noodles and rice, noodles, noodles, noodles, and rice! And all that soy sauce? Very unhealthy. A tablespoon of soy sauce contains almost a gram of sodium.

I'll eat it once or twice a year when somebody else buys it, but am unwilling to pay good money for it myself.
Vinlander   Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:46 pm GMT
going back to an earlier point america has a free market for the most part// china has none of this it's a communist country. you can compare it// look at the cultural revloution in china back last century// a big part of the prc is just to remove all econmic freedom// Compare honk kong and the mainland and you will understand the difference// now the mainland is trying tocopy the honk kong
Chas   Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:33 pm GMT
<A good chicken tikka masala is now consiodered to be the British national dish. >

You think chicken tikka masala is a Chinese dish?
Charles   Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:45 pm GMT
< American classical music stems from and is continually informed by American popular music. For instance, when Martha Graham commissioned Aaron Copland's "Appalachion Spring" for her ballet, he borrowed directly from an old Quaker tune, "Simple Gifts". When Gershwin was seeking inspiration for his own music, he looked to jazz. >

Would you call Copland, Gershwin and Bernstein significant composers? They are makers of musical ice cream, surely.

A better example might be Charles Ives.
Shuimo   Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:01 am GMT
PC gone too far Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:27 pm GMT
>>We in the UK have witnessed this abuse of basic humanity at work in China only recently when they executed a British man who was clearly suffering from a mental condition which, had he been tried in a British court of law, would have been found not responsible for his actions and treated accordingly, not the case in China it seems. <<

Haha! I know a few people with bipolar disorder, and trust me, they are not unconscious of themselves. As if mental people are untouchable.

What next? Will people diagnosed with "sociopathy" be acquitted of murder? Well, at least the prisons will empty out! It's OK to kill, as long as you're a sociopath!
================================

Hhaha, cunning hypocritical Englanders can certainly cheat themselves as well as other equally brainwashed westerners and gullible, innocent non-westerners, by inventing such nice pussy pretexts as PC, like the so called mental disorder, which of course by no means was applicable to this British citizen who was so meantally reatarded (or sophisticaed) as to managed to almost successfully smuggle kilos of deadly drugs into China, with the dreadfully possible consequence of ruining lives of hundreds, even thousands of people!

The Chinese gov and people have given a good slapping in the cheeky PC-fronted face of British gov! The world owes my gov tons of debt for bringing home the dear prices of drug smuggling thankfully due to the fanfare stirred by Western media spearheaded by the BBC, the biggest British Caluminiator! O(∩_∩)O
Shuimo   Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:32 am GMT
>>>Guest Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:39 pm GMT
The Chinese culture is anti-creativity. Chinese people believe that it is best to steal other people's ideas rather than make your own. What has China done recently that isn't just a copy of someone else? A long time ago China invented things, but at some point they forgot how. <<

Typical western propagandist rhetorics aimed to caluminiate other competiting culture that threatens to dethrone Western supremacy which already inescapably slips into debilitating decline.

Chinese creativity over the milleniums pales western clerverness into nil!(*^__^*)

>>>Jasper Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:02 pm GMT
That's exactly the point, Shuimo.

Too little regard for individualism stifles a creative nature, and that's the reason the Chinese haven't invented anything in the last century.

Instead, they pirate everybody else's inventions.

Shuimo, how are you going to defend China's piracy and corruption? You can't. Piracy and corrruption are indefensible. <<<

Japser, to be honest with you guys, instead of defending my China's "piracy", Shuimo feels such deeds should be encouraged energetically if you possibly can!

The reason is a simple one:
The Western-invented intellectual property protection system is itself an evil one, which only serves to bring out the worst in human greediness and selfishness, with the mean motives to exploit other third world countries for the sake of western bottomless greed for cash returns in the international community!

Now I am glad to see the Chinese are in such an advantageous position, with all the necessary resources (you figure this out yourself), to break down such an evil system with such untaught adpetness!(*^__^*)

Mind you: China is still a developing country, a fact which Shuimo find no shame to admit, piracy is truly the BEST and most EFFICIENT strategy for late comers to play catching-up games with the already developed ones!

BTW: we never see you accuse Africans of doing piracy (of course, shipping pirating on the Inidan Ocean seems to be the exception----which of course we Chinese feel it beneath us to do), why? Because they have been already exploited to death with no powers of any inventiveness left due to westerners' hundreds of years of predatory colonial activities?!

Shuimo think that the Japanese experience can be a good example for the Chinese to draw upon!

Copy------------->Invent --------------->Surpass --------------->Lead

A marvelous miracle thus created! But this time the miracle by the Chinese is big and enthralling enough to RESHAPE the world! LOL
Jasper   Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:48 am GMT
Shuimo:

If you get your way, and Chinese take over the world...

...who will do the inventing?

I'd hate to think that we're still using Windows "In The Year 2525"?
Shuimo   Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:41 am GMT
Jasper Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:48 am GMT
Shuimo:

If you get your way, and Chinese take over the world...

...who will do the inventing?

I'd hate to think that we're still using Windows "In The Year 2525"?
----------------------------

Let the world and society and nature take their own course, won't they?

Why worry about things beyond all our grasp in 500 years' time when we won't even know whether the the earth might still be in exsitence? Perhaps the earth will long have perished thanks to full-blown nucelar wars among countries striving for scarcer and scarcer resources? Or humanity itself has extincted due to insufferably hot climate of this planet?
Or perhaps some ET creatures of the incrdible kind take over and bring us all into cages for good?

Anyway, it is far far more better and worthy for Chinese Confucius to take over than Western God!
Wintereis   Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:51 am GMT
<<Would you call Copland, Gershwin and Bernstein significant composers? They are makers of musical ice cream, surely.

A better example might be Charles Ives.>>

They are sugnificant composers. I am sorry if I ofended you by leaving out a composer, though, I mentioned more than you claimed (Glass and Adams) and still haven't covered nearly all American composers.

But, since you find this a poor thing to do, I shall include one of my favorite Charles Ives pieces. And no I'm not going to post one of those awful Bartokesc peaces either.

Here is Gustavo Dudamel conducting the orchestra of La Scalla in Ives' "The Unanswered Question":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cImb1wnhIGI&feature=related

And I'll add some Barber.

Here is Anne Akiko Meyers performing Barber's Violin Concerto, movement no. III:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19eUrTEmIXQ&feature=related
Wintereis   Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:53 am GMT
Boy, I should have read that post over before I sent it. Back from the pars, and I've lost my fingers.