This Financial Crisis marks English turning-point?

Shuimo   Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:01 am GMT
Unprecedented Financial Crisis marks English turning-point?

As the world's NO 1 Capitalist country America suffers poignant deadly blow, while its closest mighty rivary China gains weighty muscle almost injuryless, impacts of such crucial changes upon their respective languages English and Chinese will surely have to be felt in one way or another, e.g. the momentum of their growth, the long-term prospect of their competiveness in the linguistic market of the world.....

Shuimo hold that this unprecedented Financial Crisis marks a profound turning-point of English in its growth-fall path, doesn't it?
Wintereis   Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:56 am GMT
<<Shuimo hold that this unprecedented Financial Crisis marks a profound turning-point of English in its growth-fall path, doesn't it?>>

Shumio, you haven't been paying much attention to the markets have you. The major part of the recession is largely done. The Great Depression, which was much larger than the current economic situation, had no impact on English as a dominant language. Why would you think that this down turn that is nearly over with will do anything to language?

I predict that Shumio will never get laid.
Shuimo   Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:57 am GMT
>>>The Great Depression, which was much larger than the current economic situation, had no impact on English as a dominant language.<<<

That was largely because of the lucky lack of any credible competitor for English during that period!

Now times and circumstances are vastly different! Can you figure these out, Wintereis?

>>>>>>>Why would you think that this down turn that is nearly over with will do anything to language? <<<<<

How could you claim this crisis is nearly over?

Shuimo's insider's source of information says this crisis is far from over!

Shuimo's theory concerning language dominancy is an economy-based one that puts the economic power of countries as the single most important factor underlying the strength of languages! Get it?^_^

>>>I predict that Shumio will never get laid. <<

What d u mean by this(O_O)?
Vinalnder   Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:04 am GMT
You guys really are having your own wanks fests arent you. China is not likly to dominate the world anytime soon. However in part due to the crisis it is dominating ASEAN or assoiciation of south east asian, which is a region of the world with over 400 million people. Which means aside from europe the only big english speaking area will be indian.
doomsayer   Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:22 am GMT
<<China is not likly to dominate the world anytime soon.>>

Why not? With 4-5x the population of the US, shouldn't China someday become 4-5x more dominant than the US ever was?

In addition, China is crowded (4-5X more crowded than the US), like Germany was (and is). Will they eventually spill out of their current borders in order to gain more "living room"? I suppose enlarging their living room means wiping out the current residents of any conquered territories. This will help Chinese expand geographically.
Shuimo   Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:46 am GMT
doomsayer Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:22 am GMT
<<China is not likly to dominate the world anytime soon.>>

Why not? With 4-5x the population of the US, shouldn't China someday become 4-5x more dominant than the US ever was?

In addition, China is crowded (4-5X more crowded than the US), like Germany was (and is). Will they eventually spill out of their current borders in order to gain more "living room"? I suppose enlarging their living room means wiping out the current residents of any conquered territories. This will help Chinese expand geographically.
-----------------------------------

doomsayer, don't say that!;-(

The Chinese wudn't recapture the dirty deeds of the British Empire!
Instead, We woud like to encourage ever more Chinese EMIGRATION into other parts of the world like Australia and America and Western Europe ( all nice pleasant rich geographical areas, right? Siberia is too cold, Africa is too dry)---- in a most generous spirit of speading the good word of Chinese Confusionism and other Chinese cultural essences!
Shuimo   Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:53 am GMT
Oh, damn Shuimo, Chinese Confusionism should be changed into Chinese Confucianism!
Uriel   Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:05 pm GMT
Bring 'em on, Shu. They turn into Americans pretty darn fast. After a couple of generations they only know a few words of Chinese and have a penchant for the food, but then, who doesn't? (Besides Jasper -- I think Chinese food is wonderful!)

I went to high school with plenty of Asian-Americans, and still keep up with them online. ;)
Uriel   Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:08 pm GMT
Of course, that means while your gene pool might spread into strange waters -- most of my high school friends were half white or half black, in addition to being half Asian -- the language seems to dwindle quite a bit. While many of my friends were fluent or semi-fluent in their Asian parent's language, many were not, and most will have children who speak little else besides English.
I survived Poughuag   Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:39 pm GMT
<<Chinese Confusionism should be changed into Chinese Confucianism! >>

Great typo, though -- you'd almost think it was intensional. :)
atsamo   Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:43 pm GMT
China expands over the huge land area where 10 % of population live on 90% of the country territory.