Comma gets a cure (my accent)

qweasdzxc   Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:15 pm GMT
estn   Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:13 pm GMT
it sounds kinda Vietnamese to me

im probly way off
qweasdzxc   Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:09 am GMT
what makes you think its vietnamese?
estn   Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:23 pm GMT
i know someone at the moment with one...and yours and his just seem similar...
was i close?
qweasdzxc   Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:53 pm GMT
nah....but is it really accented?
Ania   Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:18 pm GMT
I'm not a native speaker, but a student of English Studies and I think you sound really great. I don't get only why you seemed to read words separately than the whole sentences.

So where are you from? ;>
qweasdzxc   Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:20 pm GMT
I am a Canto speaker.....i studied english for around 6 years...but i just wanna see how i sound kinda different from natives XD
Ania   Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:28 pm GMT
So I'm very curious what a native would say:)

I think you sound great especially after 6 years of learning.
qweasdzxc   Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:08 pm GMT
how long have been learning english then?
.   Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:15 pm GMT
Understandable, but accented.
qweasdzxc   Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:30 am GMT
so its the pronunciation problem or the rythm/stressing problem?
feati   Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:40 pm GMT
Your pronunciation of the seperate phonemes seems flawless to me, except for the diphthong in "mouth". But that could still pass for Canadian Raising. Or was it supposed to be the "goat" vowel? Could be either of them. They're not that different, anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_raising

As for the rhythm: It sounds stagnant and unnatural but not necessarily foreign to me. Especially not because you were reading.

For me, it's the pronunciation of certain words that gives you away as a non-native speaker because you used the wrong phonemes or the wrong stress in those cases. But fortunately, that's the easiest thing to get rid of.
qweasdzxc   Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:27 pm GMT
To feati
Your comment is very constructive and supportive. It gives directions in terms of what I have to improve... the "mouth thing"....yeah I get lazy when I say words with vowels that need your mouth to move a bit more...I also think my rhythm is kinda awkward...but it's the best i can do...since I am not that familiar with English. I stumble a bit when I speak. My first priority is the oral part. So yeah... thanks for your comment
Ania   Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:50 pm GMT
>>>how long have been learning english then?
Well I've been learning English since I was 6 years old... which makes it.. 17 years. xD
qweasdzxc   Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:10 am GMT
XD so you have been learning English in a non-English speaking country or not?