Do they learn Spanish in China?

Eu   Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:56 am GMT
I tried googling this but mostly got articles about the French Indochina.... Would appreciate is someone would answer.
Oh not   Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:24 am GMT
Ask Tala -- apparently he's trying to learn Spanish now.
Guest   Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:32 am GMT
Spanish in Asia

In Asia the Spanish language has long been in decline. Spanish ceased to be an official language of the Philippines in 1987, and it is now spoken by less than 0.01% of the population; 2,658 speakers (1990 Census). However, the sole existing Spanish-Asiatic creole language, Chabacano, is also spoken by an additional 0.4% of the Filipino population; 292,630 (1990 census). Most other Philippine languages contain generous quantities of Spanish loan words. Among other Asian countries, Spanish may also be spoken by pockets of ex-immigrant communities, such as Mexican-born ethnic Chinese deported to China or third and fourth generation ethnic Japanese Peruvians returning to their ancestral homeland of Japan.

http://www.spiritus-temporis.com/spanish-language/geographic-distribution.html
Shuimo   Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:36 am GMT
Eu Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:56 am GMT
I tried googling this but mostly got articles about the French Indochina.... Would appreciate is someone would answer.

Oh not Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:24 am GMT
--------------------------------------------------------------------

hahhaha, If you ask Shuimo, I am surely yr man who can give you the most truthful on-the-ground information on this!:-)

Spanish is surely not widely studied in China!

Just like in any other non-English-speaking country, Spanish just can't compare with English and French in numbers of learners and popularity!

It is far far from popular as a foreign language!

Here in China, French are the second most popular foreign lanuages for obvious reasons! France are our one of our cultural and trading partners, and used to come under China's suzerainty!

Besides close trading ties, France pop cultures are well-received among Chinese youngsters, though Shuimo never touch their cultural products which I despise as nothing but shoddy-made mental garbage!

Spanish, I must say, isn't of any special commercial currency or value to the Chinese! After all, Spanish-speaking countries are mostly backward, poverty-striken third world countries! People really find little motivation to learn an unnecessarily complicated silly language with headache-causing gender-distinction nouns and bewildering verb conjugations!

BTW: a French-knowing friend of Shuimo's once told me that there are about 2oooo registered learners of French in college in China, that tells you the place of French in the Chinese linguistic market! ^_^
Guest   Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:40 am GMT
<< Eu Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:56 am GMT

Oh not Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:24 am GMT
--------------------------------------------------------------------

hahhaha, If you ask Shuimo, I am surely yr man who can give you the most truthful on-the-ground information on this!:-)

Spanish is surely not widely studied in China!

Just like in any other non-English-speaking country, Spanish just can't compare with English and French in numbers of learners and popularity!

It is far far from popular as a foreign language!

Here in China, French are the second most popular foreign lanuages for obvious reasons! France are our one of our cultural and trading partners, and used to come under China's suzerainty!

Besides close trading ties, France pop cultures are well-received among Chinese youngsters, though Shuimo never touch their cultural products which I despise as nothing but shoddy-made mental garbage!

Spanish, I must say, isn't of any special commercial currency or value to the Chinese! After all, Spanish-speaking countries are mostly backward, poverty-striken third world countries! People really find little motivation to learn an unnecessarily complicated silly language with headache-causing gender-distinction nouns and bewildering verb conjugations!

BTW: a French-knowing friend of Shuimo's once told me that there are about 2oooo registered learners of French in college in China, that tells you the place of French in the Chinese linguistic market! ^_^ >>

Do you think we're gullible enough that you're Shuimo? You're Visitor and as usual you're using Shuimo's username to attack the Spanish language again.

You're the same person who used copy and pasted messages but modifies the word to use it against the language you attack.
wo shi wo   Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:44 am GMT
<<<<<<<France pop cultures are well-received among Chinese youngsters>>>>>>>>>>>>>>???????????

First, I know you are not Shuimo.

Second, In which part of China you live????????? 你在中国的什么地方?你应该不是中国人吧。谁说法国流行文化在中国有那么多受众?
+Fr+   Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:45 am GMT
No, the man who writes above is really Shuimo, or at least another person.

Blue Tier says that nowadays, Spanish is not only less important than Spanish or English, is even less important than Russian, Portuguese, Chinese, Arabic, etc

The situation is another one: if Shuimo, Visitor, Blue Tier, -Sp-, etc say that Spanish language is eroding, surely we are all right.
João   Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:51 am GMT
Minus another 1,000,000,000 Spanish speakers...
Guest   Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:52 am GMT
OK, all right. I admit that my language is eroding. The disintegration of Spanish language is getting me nervous but I feel that at least my language will be in the top 100 if we promote it enough.

What do you think about?
wo shi wo   Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:13 am GMT
At make sure that when you disguise, make sure that is realistic, Guest who also disguiesd as Shin-ruo in the past.

hahhahahahahaha

<<<<<<<Japan and Korea's pop cultures are well-received among Chinese youngsters>>>>>>>>>>>>>>??????????? Nobody said that above.

法国人真的白痴。
+Fr+   Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:15 am GMT
French as a foreign language is the second most frequently taught language in the world after English. IN CHINA HAS ALSO BECOME THE SECOND MOST DEMANDED FOREIGN LANGUAGE. French is considered to be the language of diplomacy and culture due to its glorious past and its rich culture. France is the world's major tourist destination (75 million tourists a year). France is the most visited destination in the world. Paris is considered one of the "global cities".

http://nelanguage.com/french.html

Chine: Les Chances du Francais (The Fortunes of the French Language in China).

Examines the current situation in China surrounding the teaching of French as a Foreign Language. After the decline of French teaching subsequent to the Cultural Revolution, the language returned to favor around 1970. Chinese students are infatuated with French; many study it as a first or second foreign language. Additionally, French literature has enormous prestige in China. (CK)

http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/custom/portlets/recordDetails/detailmini.jsp?_nfpb=true&_&ERICExtSearch_SearchValue_0=EJ518148&ERICExtSearch_SearchType_0=no&accno=EJ518148

delectric
Diglot

China

Joined 1735 days ago

502 posts - 6 votes

Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: German

Every English major student in China must eventually take a second language after English. It seems that French is the most popular language, then Japanese and lastly Russian.

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1220&PN=1&TPN=2

Top 6 Most Popular Foreign Language Teachers in China

Japanese Teacher
There is a growing number of Chinese people learning Japanese, the main reasons are, first, Japanese culture is welcome in China; second, Japanese is regarded as an useful language in business and society contact; the third reason is due to Chinese neighbourhood in geography with Japan. We may learn from the above that Chinese people learning Japanese is mainly because of the benefit in business. And you must be very popular too in China schools if you are a foreign teacher teaching Japanese.

Korean Teacher
There has been a hot period of recent two years of Chinese people’s Korean training, dates from 2004 when it was difficult to get the visa to Japan for study, many people change their studying abroad destination from Japan to Korea whose aspects are quite like Japan’s; the second reason is larger number of Korean investment enterprises’ flooding in China, causing the scarcity of Korean talents, as a result, Korean teachers may surely enjoy a big market in China.

French Teacher
French is a very romantic language, but this is not the reason it is called “ the language of love”. In linguistics, “romance”, “romantic” and “love” have no relationship. French is Latin, and it has many things in common with English, even some of the same word spelling with its only difference in their pronunciation. French is always regarded as the most melodious language in the world, it is the official lauguage of France, Canada, Belgium and Swiss, etc. The major French learners are young students and white-collar workers for their interest and working and studying abroad needs and you are sure to be in good grace in the students if you are a French teacher in China.

German Teacher
German is the Germanic branch of Indo-European, enjoying 120,000,000 speakers in the world. It is the official language of Germany, Auatria and Swiss as the key language of EU and new East-Europe economics. The Chinese people are learning German out of their needs on jobs though they often communicate with their German colleagues in English, but it may shorten their distances between them when they communicate in German. You may feel happy for this if you are a German teacher, right?

Spanish Teacher
Spanish is one of the 6 major working languages in UN, also the official language of 20 Latin America countries and regions including Spain, Argentina and Morocco, etc. You have to spend almost one year to teach a Chinese Spanish beginner to the basic communication in Spanish. Currently, most Spanish learners are learning out of studying abroad and working needs.

Italian Teacher
Italian is quite similar to Spanish, it is one of the Latin of Indo-European. Chinese are learning Italian out of the needs of economics and trade and work, other reasons are that some of them have to catch up the language for travelling. You will be congratulated if you are an Italian teacher, as you may surely earn so much money in China.

http://top.at0086.com/China-Job-Center/Top-6-Most-Popular-Foreign-Language-Teachers-in-China.html
-Sp-   Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:18 am GMT
ALTHOUGH SPANISH AND PORTUGUESE ARE WIDELY SPOKEN IN MANY PARTS OF THE WORLD, ONLY A FEW PEOPLE IN CHINA TRY TO LEARN THEM. But with flourished commerce and business communication between China and South America, the two languages are sure to be learnt by more and more people.

http://www.lexiophiles.com/english/top-foreign-languages-learnt-in-china
hank stimson   Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:39 pm GMT
An entire thread duplicated -- let's hope it was really worth the effort.
4343   Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:33 pm GMT
the most studied foreign languages in China by number:

1: English
2: Japanese
3:Russian and Korean

French and Spanish are not listed in Top 3.
So both French and Spanish speakers please stop bumping up because both of you have no position in China!
3434   Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:03 pm GMT
the most studied foreign languages in China by number:

1: English
2: French
3. Japanese and Korean
4: Russian
5: German

Spanish is not listed in Top 4.
So both Spanish speakers please stop bumping on others because you have no position in China!