Why are female voices always used in public announcements?

Shuimo   Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:14 am GMT
Why are female voices always used in public announcements?

Shuimo has noticed that whenever public annoucements are made in public places like in subways, train stations, airports, buses, it is always a female voice, if not always sweet, why is it so? Why not use a male voice that is of magnetic quality?

I recall a very huge pleasant surprise I got upon my stepping off the train when Shuimo traveled to Tibet last October! I heard a most clear Mandarin-speaking male voice greeting all passengers with a warm welcome!

All Shuimo's trip companions and Shuimo myself was taken aback by that voice! We all agreed that it was among the most impressive pure Mandarin-speaking male voice quality we ever heard, and it was found in Tibet!!!O(∩_∩)O
i   Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:53 pm GMT
Some time ago I have read that female voices are usually clearer and more understandable than male voices so that's why.

I wonder how those companions managed to stand you druing the whole trip though.
Shuimo   Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:07 pm GMT
>>i Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:53 pm GMT
Some time ago I have read that female voices are usually clearer and more understandable than male voices so that's why. <<

That is certainly NOT true!
There are numerous big boys like Shuimo who speak like crystal-clear waterfall!

>>I wonder how those companions managed to stand you druing the whole trip though. <<

It beats me why you should put a question like that!:-(
It was these companions' blessings that they cud in their trip enjoy sophisticated talkative good-looking lad Shuimo's company, as you are doing now in Antimoon!O(∩_∩)O
Edward Teach   Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:37 pm GMT
In other words shuimo paid for their company.
Sarkozy   Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:26 pm GMT
Did they announce in Tibetan also?
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:19 pm GMT
Well, our main central train station here in Edinburgh is Waverley Station, and the announcements there are mostly, but not always, presented in a MALE voice, as you will here in this YT clip.

It was shot during what was called the Big National Freeze, done for charity, and absolutely nothing to do with the current British and European weather freeze.

Train announcements at Edinburgh Waverley train station. Why they need the vocal announcements when all train arrivals and departures and state of travel situations are clearly shown on all in indicator screens I'm not really sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqLkO4R4GUs
Pedro   Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:27 am GMT
"Why they need the vocal announcements when all train arrivals and departures and state of travel situations are clearly shown on all in indicator screens I'm not really sure. "

For the blind.
Wintereis   Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:54 am GMT
I'm not entirely sure why women are more often selected to be the announcers. I remember in D.C's metro, the only metro I've spent a significant amount of time using, the announcers were usually females. Perhaps it is the clarity of their voice or the fact that the female voice is typically softer. One the other hand, they can have some rather odd people do those announcements. The strangest ones are in Belgium from what I hear, but it seems the people are even more freakish.

Station in Antwerp:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EYAUazLI9k

Maybe you all should start weaning yourselves off American culture, that bit is a bit too far.
Trimac20   Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:08 am GMT
I wouldn't say 'always', maybe about three quarters.
Just guess   Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:30 am GMT
Because women are more talented in language. And women's voice is more pleasant to children
Xie   Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:14 am GMT
Don't think so. The Deutsche Bahn uses male voices instead. I had no problem understanding the announcements even in German. Fair enough...
Shuimo   Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:03 am GMT
》》》Edward Teach Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:37 pm GMT
In other words shuimo paid for their company. 《《《

Hhaha, the opposite is truer!
Often diners with Shuimo as companion often struggle to pay for myself!:-)

It is a mixed feeling!

<<Sarkozy Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:26 pm GMT
Did they announce in Tibetan also? >>

Sure, all public annoucements in Lasa, the regional capital of Tibet, are done bilingually!

All Shuimo pick up in Tiubetan are two sayings:
Duo qie ne!
Tsguyi!
Damian in Edinburgh   Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:42 am GMT
Wintereis posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EYAUazLI9k

Winteries - I wonder how many commuters missed their trains or connections that day? I loved it - obviously it was all well planned and choreographed but very well done en masse. I bet that doesn't happen on Antwerp Central train station every day - I never saw anything like this whenever I've been there.

All the announcements were made in a male voice each time, I'm pretty sure about that....when I travelled by Eurostar from St Pancras International terminus in London direct to Brussels I changed there for Antwerp, arriving at this particular station (there is another main one in Antwerp, or Antwerpen as it is known over there) where I was met by my two English mates who live just over the border in the Netherlands, at Geldrop, near Eindhoven, and we then drive the relatively short distance over the border from Belgium into the Netherlands and on to their home.

One of the joys of the EU is the ease with which you can travel uninterrupted directly from one member country into another without any checking of passports, just like travelling back and forth from Scotland into England and back again. It's only when leaving the UK and returning again that passport checks and scrutinisation by the UK Border Agency are necessary which is a wee bit of a nuisance for all EU nationals in my opinion, but there you go. As our Dutch and Belgian compatriots jokingly say to us: "That's the 'island mentality' for you!"

The next time I arrive at Antwerp I'd love to see this performance repeated. especially as I won't need to worry about missing my connection.
Raiders Fan   Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:18 am GMT
A woman's voice sounds more pleasant and comforting, where a man's could unintentionally feel too harsh or intimidating.
Damian in Edinburg   Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:14 am GMT
i rape children