You Too, or Me Too?

Sammy   Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:41 am GMT
How would you respond to tell your boy/girlfriend that you share the same feelings for him/her? Which would you say if you only have the two alternatives, "Me too" and "You too"?

I've asked basically the same question elsewhere several times, and seen a proposed tendency that British English uses "You too" more than "Me too" or both equally, depending on who you are and what situation they are considered to be used, and that American English uses "Me too" predominantly.

Some people say, with "Me too," you are replying "I miss me too," "I love me too," etc. whilst some say "Me too" is the right way of expressing you have the same feelings toward him/her.

I wonder what your choice would be if you would have to choose between the two alternatives? (Please indicate you are a native speaker of which English, BrE or AmE. Thanks)

[1]
Your boy/girlfriend: I miss you.
You: Me too/You too.

[2]
Your boy/girlfriend: I love you.

[3]
Your boy/girlfriend: I've thought a lot about you.
Sammy   Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:44 am GMT
Edit

... , and seen a proposed tendency that ... >>> ... , and I say tentatively that there seems to be a tendency that ...
Drew   Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:59 am GMT
This is actually actively ambiguous. What I mean is that even as a native speaker of American English, every time I'm in this situation, I get confused in the exact same way. For this reason, I actually use option 3: When someone says "I miss you," I say "I miss you too," etc. Clearing up the ambiguity is worth the extra effort.

I will say that in general, regardless of which of those are used, people will assume you mean to say you share the same feeling. There are very few circumstances where anything but that is appropriate.
Drew   Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:02 am GMT
Oh--If I HAD to choose, had no other alternative, I'd probably say "Me, too."
Trumpet   Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:05 am GMT
LIKEWISE - this is the word y'all're looking for.
Entbark   Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:15 am GMT
Yeah, it is semantically ambiguous either way, but it is rare for someone to misunderstand since the only two expected responses are a confirmation of affection returned or an absence of it. "Me too" sounds better than "you too" though.

You could always go the Han Solo route and just say, "I know."
Another Guest   Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:53 pm GMT
If you're really concerned about being technically correct, you shouldn't say "I miss you too", either. After all, the other person doesn't miss themselves. Unless you want to say something like "I miss you, similar to how you miss me", you might as well just say "me too". Although I suppose an argument can be made that it should be "I too". "You too" seems kinda odd to me.
Third Option   Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:15 am GMT
I agree with Drew; I would say "I miss you too", etc.

"Me too" sounds as if you're too embarrassed to say the full phrase.

"You too" sounds as if you weren't listening, but think she may have said something like "take care".

The part about British people saying "you too" more than "me too" isn't true at all. Mostly they would just mumble something indeterminate and make a few throat-clearing noises.
Kumar   Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:12 am GMT
Can we say, "Same here" ?
Drew   Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:36 am GMT
Kumar, yeah. :P I wouldn't respond to "I love you" with "Same here," though. That might come off as insincere. :P

Another Guest, I hadn't even considered that meaning. I think when the conversation goes "I miss you," then "I miss you, too," there's only one way to take it.
Sammy   Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:49 pm GMT
Thanks for all your input.

Interestingly enough, it seems quite a few people choose "You, too" as a reply to "I'm happy to see you" between the two options.
Kaeops   Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:14 pm GMT
Nice to meet you.
-You too (correct)
-Me too (incorrect)
Drew   Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:15 am GMT
Kaeops, that goes for a lot of things, actually. Mainly commands. "Have a nice day," "Drive safe," "Go f*ck yourself," etc. "You too" is always correct in this case. This thread is about expressing feelings, which is a bit more gray.
Kumar   Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:15 am GMT
KAEOPS.
Nice to meet you.
-Same here. (correct)
-You too. (incorrect)

Please guys correct me here.
K.   Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:00 pm GMT
"Me too" is the better choice if you only have those two choices. It's better to say the whole phrase "I miss you too."

Some people say "ditto"-but that sounds a little weak, like "I like you but I'm so shy or macho that my tongue can't even commit to saying the words that will assure you." It brings to mind the late Patrick Swazye, who drove girls crazy...