Spanish vs French

Jordan   Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:35 am GMT
The much debated question. Which language is more beautiful? Which is more important?

I think the two are equally beautiful.
pendejo   Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:41 am GMT
I think Spanish is more beautiful. In addition, it is mroe important.

LOL! I predict this thread will reach 1000 posts.
Sage   Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:52 am GMT
I think Frenchh is more beautiful. In addition, it is more important.
brasileiro   Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:31 am GMT
i think spanish is fucking ugly but more important.
The truth   Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:43 am GMT
Well, the situation nowadays is easy to explain.

French language has only a slight rise in the number of speakers and students around the World.

This slight rise is nothing in comparison with the strong rise of other languages like English, Spanish or Chinese.

So, the comparison of French with the big three is not good at this moment for French.

An example is the economic field. English, Chinese and Spanish are the most powerful languages in the World. French is only 6th (Steinke Index).

Finally, French has 200 million of speakers around the World. This data are no so bad.

Anyway, the number of speakers of other languages is impressive. Not only English, Spanish and Chinese, but Hindi, Arabic, Russian, Portuguese, Bengali, Urdu or Indonesian have at this moment more speakers than French.
Emmanuel   Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:46 pm GMT
French and Spanish as spoken in Europe are equally as 'beautiful', in my opinion. However, as they are spoken in the Americas--with a few exceptions, they do not sound as 'mellow'. For instance, I do not like the majority of Mexican accents at all. (Too annoying--ha, ha.) All languages may be equally as 'beautiful' to their speakers, nonetheless.
Qwaggmireland   Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:36 pm GMT
Funny you should say that Emmanuel, check out the Mexican-like accents on the Frenchis in the British classic Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Its has if the British are the proto gringo cowboys and the French beans the proto Mexican beaners...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLN4KWTw6Hs

*warning contains scenes and audio of ultra French accent*
I survived Poughquag   Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:32 am GMT
<<LOL! I predict this thread will reach 1000 posts.>>

I doubt it -- perhaps we'll see 1000 more threads like this over the next decade or so (if Antimoon stays around that long).
guest   Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:30 pm GMT
what the fuck happened to this website?
cmon   Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:41 pm GMT
Some Spanish accents are nicer than others, like Castillian or Argentinian. I find mexican pretty annoying and too punchy. However, I pretty much like both languages, and as for which is more important, I could care less, because English is the most important.
John   Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:39 pm GMT
Spanish has more speakers (both native and second language), is spoken in more countries, and has more economic weight.
However, French is still a nice useful language with probably more prestige.
Marco Claudio   Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:51 pm GMT
And Latin has more prestige than French.
The reality   Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:33 am GMT
Well, the situation nowadays is easy to explain.

Spanish and Chinese languages have only a slight rise in the number of speakers and students around the World.

This slight rise is nothing in comparison with the strong rise of other languages like English, French, German, Italian, or Russian.

So, the comparison of Spanish and Chinese with the big five is not good at this moment for Spanish.

An example is the economic field. English, Japanese. German, French. Italian, and Russian are the most powerful languages in the World. Spanish and Chinese are not because non of the Hispanic nations or China made it in G8.

Finally, Spanish has 330 million of native speakers around the World. This data is no so bad.

Anyway, the number of speakers of other languages is impressive. Not only English, French and Russian, but Hindi, Arabic, Russian, Portuguese, Urdu or Indonesian have at this moment have more secondary speakers than Spanish therefore more international.
Johnny   Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:35 am GMT
French has more speakers (both native and second language), is spoken in more countries, and has more economic weight.

However, Spanish is still a nice useful language in telenovelas or beauty pageants.
Marcos Claudio   Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:36 am GMT
And Sanskrit has more prestige than Spanish.