My opinion

Robin Michael   Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:57 am GMT
Thinking of becoming a professional translator?

A's son, B is Polish, he can speak fluent English and German. He has done some translation work on a voluntary basis. At a certain point in his career, he decided that learning languages was not a good way to make money. So he decided to develop a career in computers.

He now works for an international company based in different countries. He is assigned jobs in different countries installing computer systems. The working language that his company uses is 'English' even though the part of the company he works for, is based in Germany.

It has taken a lot of education and a certain amount of ability for him to get to this level. For the first time in his life he is earning serious money.

Yesterday, I gave an English lesson to a Polish couple and their teenage son. The Polish couple speak very little English. I went with A. That is not uncommon among Polish people in the UK. However their son has a moderate command of English. If he tried hard, he could improve his English.

There must be a lot of young Polish children who are growing up in an English speaking environment. These will be the professional translators. Older people, like A find language acquisition difficult if not impossible. For a short period of time A can find work as a translator. However in five years time there will be a new generation of bilingual Poles who will make her redundant.

If you want to develop your English you really need to move to the UK or another English speaking country. B spent a year in Ireland.