Question on the verb "to guest"

hooligan   Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:24 am GMT
Don't use "to guest". Does it really exist?

Say:
Steve Martin was a guest on Saturday Night Live the other week.
Steve Martin was invited on Saturday Night Live the other week.
Steve Martin was on Saturday Night Live the other week as a guest.
etc

<<
Or, um, could I say that Steve Martin "was welcomed" at Saturday Night Live? >>

That has a different meaning.

<<No, wait, what about the verb "to guest-star"?>>

Guest star, as far as I know, means to appear in a show as a guest actor. I think it only applies to dramas, soaps, movies. Not talk shows.

<<Should I use the verb "to visit" instead? >>

No.
Uriel   Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:57 am GMT
I think they probably said "guest hosted". Saturday Night Live is famous for having a different celebrity guest host for each show. For Steve Martin, however, that would be more like a homecoming,; he used to be regular on SNL.
Another Guest   Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:44 am GMT
Of course, "guest host" is a bit of an oxymoron.
jj   Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:46 am GMT
In the US, "guest" as a verb is used in a lot of entertainment-oriented trade magazines and newspaper columns (Variety, Hollywood Reporter, New York Post, etc.). It's Hollywood jargon and not really recognized in formal speech or outside of the entertainment industry, for that matter.

Ex:

"Kim and Khloe Kardashian guested on 'Lopez Tonight' and touched a range of bizarre topics..." (Inside TV)

"As you may recall, Ted is the guy who Britney Spears' character was in love with when she guested on the show." (HollyScoop)

I would avoid using "guest" in this way unless you want to sound like an entertainment columnist. "Guest-starred", "guest hosted", or "appeared" would be better choices.
Simon Cowel   Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:27 pm GMT
<<Of course, "guest host" is a bit of an oxymoron. >>

Wrong. It isn't. Often they invite hosts. Like on American Idol, they often invite a celebrity to help host with the regular hosts. Assimilate it!
Another Guest   Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:06 pm GMT
Simply because something is often used, or even if a meaningful sense can be assigned to it, that doesn't mean it isn't an oxymoron. Whoever does the inviting is the host.
Simon Cowel   Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:19 pm GMT
<<Whoever does the inviting is the host. >>

Wrong. In many cases, probably most cases, the host and the producers together decide on who to invite. In general language, perhaps, a host invites by definition, but we're talking about the specific media related definition of host, which basically just means presenter. Often, the host has very little say in the matter.

Assimilate it!