German is prettier and more important than Sp and Fr

Ursula   Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:42 pm GMT
I suggest that you start learning German today. Germans are more hardworking and educated that Spaniards/Hispanics, and are less arrogant that the French. Nice and successful people all around with a beautiful, efficient country to boot.
Franco   Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:53 pm GMT
I dont' think Eastern Germans are very hard working.
Heike   Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:03 pm GMT
Yes they are. They have the necessery genes, but, alas, not the financial means.
Franco   Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:12 pm GMT
They receive a lot of funds from Western Germany, but they are not hard working.
Baldewin   Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:20 pm GMT
Sie gehören also auch der germanischen Überrasse.
Chris   Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:42 pm GMT
German is INDEED a very important language. It's also the largest mother tongue speaker language in Europe. It's one of only 3 WORKING languages of the European Union.

So yeaa, I would say it's very important.

Is it is more important than Spanish? Well certainly not in South America. Is it more important than French? Well certainly not in Africa. But is it more important in Europe? YES, beacause it's the biggest mother tongue language in Europe.

So it all depends where you live. If you live in South America, Spanish will be more useful. If you live in Africa, French and English might be more useful. But in the European Union German, English and French is the most important languages.
A more original name   Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:54 pm GMT
I don't see this point.

German and French are becoming regional languages, and both people know that.

German is a language spoken only in Central Europe by some 100 million people. The little area of this language is similar to Vietnamese or Thai. All of them are regional languages, of course.

Besides, German and French are overshadowed by English, the only lingua franca of Europe, from Ireland to Russia.

An example, Germans prefer to study English and Spanish as foreign languages at school and not French.

At the same time, French people prefer to study also English and Spanish, and not German.
Franco   Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:59 pm GMT
Not only in South America. Spanish is more useful than German in Central America , North America and Africa. Also in Antarctica Spanish is more spoken.
An even more original nam   Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:02 pm GMT
Germany can't be compared with Vietnamese or Thai. German science, technology, literature, music, fine arts, tourism attracts a lot of people. Plus there's the large German diaspora in the Americas that are willing to learn German as a heritage language.
James   Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:07 pm GMT
Yes but get real who lives in Antartica? I agree Spanish is becoming important in the United States but you can still go to the US and speak English only without needing Spanish. So I would only classify Spanish important in South America, Spain and other Spanish speaking countries.

I would also like to see Spanish included in the European Working languages. German, French, English and Spanish should be the only European working langauges.
not so original name   Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:09 pm GMT
If you're talking about the EU, why Spanish and not Italian?
James   Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:12 pm GMT
People in Scandinavian countries also learn German as a third language. Because it's a germanic language it's easier for them to learn German than a Romance language. In Eastern Europe people are also learning German as a third language.

And yeaa you can't compare German to Vietnamese. Germany is a super power. Switzerland and Austria are also two important first world countries, so how can you compare that to a third world country like Vietnam? (No disrespect to Vietnam)
James   Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:16 pm GMT
Because Italian is not the biggest mother tongue langauge in Europe (German is) and Italians can learn Spanish quicker because they are both romance languages. Italian is also not a big langauge outside Italy.
Lola   Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:31 pm GMT
Who cares is Spanish has more speakers if most of them are peasants?
Franco   Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:42 pm GMT
<<Yes but get real who lives in Antartica? I agree Spanish is becoming important in the United States but you can still go to the US and speak English only without needing Spanish. So I would only classify Spanish important in South America, Spain and other Spanish speaking countries.

>>

You can speak English in Germany and Austria to the indigenous people. So Germany is important nowhere.