Best place in Latin America to study Spanish

dawg   Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:58 pm GMT
If you're a gringo and try to learn Spanish in Miami, would they just ignore you and speak to you in English? That is why its a bad place to learn, yes?
hispanophage   Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:22 am GMT
"to study Spanish"

Weird idea.
What?   Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:25 am GMT
Actually, yes people do study spanish if you weren't aware...stop trying to stir the shit, nobody cares about childish games. This is a language learning forum, not a place for idiotic jingoistic rants. Go away.
Pete from Peru   Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:47 am GMT
AS said:

>>If you learn in the USA, is it difficult to get people to be friendly and talk to you in spanish speaking areas, i.e, Miami, East Harlem, etc? Why does one have to go to Mexico to learn Spanish when there are millions of hispanics in the USA?<<

Well, in Puerto Rico the official languages are both English and Spanish. But if you want to learn English and you have the chance to go either to Puerto Rico or America, where'd you go?

Franco said:

>><<"dar p'atras" = give back
"ir p'atras" = go back
>>

These are not English calques. How do you say "ir para atras" in Spanish if not?<<

If you like and respect the way that lady speaks our language, why do you defend such thing as "ir para atras". Besides, even if we ignore the fact that it's non-standard... Americans speakers use it instead of "regresar" or "retornar" or "volver". That's the mistake. Would you say "¿So despues del tour, como vamos p'atras al hotel?." with the meaning of "go back" or "return"??

And what about "dar p'atras" instead of "regresar" or even better "devolver". Would you say: "Terminas la tarea y das eso p'atras..."?

>><<I knew you were Castillian. >>

I'm not. <<

Ah OK. I was mistaken then.

>>Take any news from a newspaper and count the number of Moorish words. They won't be one third in any case. Maybe 1-5%.<<

Yes, you're right here, just checked out a couple of articles. And it's around 5 - 8% only.

But still, there are more words of Arabic origin in our everyday vocabulary than you are thinking. From simple words like "azucar", "algodon", to things like "aduana", "arancel", "algebra", "ajedrez", etc.

Maybe you should check this article:

http://www.cervantesvirtual.com/servlet/SirveObras/scclng/01350531966682286190680/p0000001.htm

>>You are the only ridiculous south American subhuman here.<<

Sure, that's the ultimate argument...
Now I've heard everything (roll eyes).

To the guy who started the thread:

Mate, you'll be perfectly OK going to Mexico city for a year or two. Study there, make good friends, maybe find a girlfriend, and you'll enjoy yourself while learning a very useful language.

Good luck on whatever you decide :)
Question   Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:01 am GMT
Pete from Peru, what is your opinion of Argentine Spanish? How do people think of it in other Spanish speaking countries? How would you find it if a foreigner spoke that version? More/less distinctive/outofplace than Castillian?
Franco   Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:17 am GMT
Now that I recall " ir p'atrás " is kinda dialectal, because I've heard this construction to my parents and grandmother but it's not usual in standard Spanish. It's funny but I'm familiar with a lot of words and expressions in Spanish that I myself don't use because instinctively know they are non-standard. I guess that my grandmother who does not speak a single word of English but only Spanish is fond of English loanwords and calques so she drops them here and there in her speech. Yeah, I think that I will begin using "ir p'a atrás" from now on so this dialectal trait does not fade in time like tears in the rain.
Pete from Peru   Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:52 am GMT
That's an interesting piece of info.

Well then, let's just remember that use (I mean, use by most native speakers) is the master of language. However... I don't think most native speakers will start saying "dar p'atrás" here or across the pond. At least not for now. Who knows maybe within a couple of decades that use might spread south to Mexico and other Latin American countries until it may eventually end up being the standard and might even be registered in the DRAE.

But until then, I won't say "dar p'atrás" :)

<<Pete from Peru, what is your opinion of Argentine Spanish? How do people think of it in other Spanish speaking countries? How would you find it if a foreigner spoke that version? More/less distinctive/outofplace than Castillian?>>

Interesting question, man.

Well the problem is that you generally end up linking the accent to the people who speak it. For some reason, Franco for instance, he dislikes South Americans, so chances are that he may not like any South American Spanish accent.

Some people here in Peru don't like this reggaetone culture from Puerto Rico and Spanish-speaking America. So they don't like broad Puerto Rican accents.

Anyway. Social stuff aside... Once I met a Canadian girl who spoke with a near perfect urban Mexican accent I hear on TV everyday... She even used some intonations that sounded heavily affected by Mexican Spanish which I thought were a little funny. But of course she sounded great and quite natural, I couldn't believe she was Canadian, if she hadn't spoken to me in English in the first place, I would've thought she was Mexican. And the attitude of my co-workers towards her was of total friendliness.

By Argentine Spanish I'm sure you mean the Spanish dialect spoken in the area near the "Rio de la plata" both on the Argentine and Uruguayan side. Argentina is a vast country, in other regions, accents are more likely to blend with Chilean or Bolivian dialects. Especially in the Northern regions.

That Spanish dialect is very interesting. With so much influence from other European languages, Italian for example, its intonation patterns and phonology is quite unique. And it's considered the Standard Argentinian Accent, although not everyone speaks like that.

But common people don't know this, and most often mistake Uruguayans for Argentinians or mistake Northern Argentinians for Chileans. Still, "The Argentine accent" is received quite well I'd say. People think of it as being fun, dynamic, expressive (they also "speak with the hands" like Italians), and quite unique. Many try to fake it (Latin Americans, even young Spaniards), but they all fail miserably... For only an Argentinian can speak proper Argentine Spanish.

Argentine Spanish is to us Hispanics, what Irish English is to the English-speaking world... More or less.

I've met many jews who spoke Spanish with "The Argentine accent" because they spent some time there; there are lots of jews in Argentina. And I loved them.

I learn Argentine Spanish you'll be alright. I'd congratulate you if I met you in the street.

Of course, only if you're not saying things like "la conch... 'e la lora" or "la conch... 'e tu hermana" or "hijo 'e mil p..." all the time, hahaha.

Hope that helped.

Sorry for the long post.
Franco   Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:49 pm GMT
<<That's an interesting piece of info.

Well then, let's just remember that use (I mean, use by most native speakers) is the master of language. However... I don't think most native speakers will start saying "dar p'atrás" here or across the pond. At least not for now. Who knows maybe within a couple of decades that use might spread south to Mexico and other Latin American countries until it may eventually end up being the standard and might even be registered in the DRAE.

But until then, I won't say "dar p'atrás" :) >>

I think that your mastery of the Spanish language is not good, or maybe you are just south American. "Dar para atrás" is not the same as "ir patrás", it has different nuance. "Dar para atrás" is perfectly acceptable and standard, for example in a context of driving a car, and it means "dar marcha atrás". Do you have cars in South American? How do you say "dar para atrás" for example when you want to park a car?
Imbecil   Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:41 am GMT
No we don't have cars in South America, the first one I saw was while watching a German TV show.

BTW, you do have airplanes in Spain?
Pete from Peru   Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:51 am GMT
<<I think that your mastery of the Spanish language is not good, or maybe you are just south American. "Dar para atrás" is not the same as "ir patrás", it has different nuance. "Dar para atrás" is perfectly acceptable and standard, for example in a context of driving a car, and it means "dar marcha atrás".>>

Oh my fucking lord...

Man, is it that you don't understand or you just like argueing?

Of course we say "dar para atrás" and even "darle para atrás" when meaning driving backwards in a car, that's common everywhere in the Spanish speaking world.

What I'm talking about is the use of "dar p'atrás" (SIC), as used by American native and non-native speakers of Spanish, meaning "GIVE BACK". Like "devolver", "regresar". Like "GIVE SOMETHING BACK TO SOMEONE", "devolverle algo a alguien", "regresar algo a alguien" (Chiefly Latin American use).

Have I been clear enough this time? Or as Concha Velasco often says: "No sé si me explico."

<<Do you have cars in South American? How do you say "dar para atrás" for example when you want to park a car?>>

No, we don't. We still ride on Llamas around our villages. We all have feathers on our heads and we don't have e-mail accounts. A Chasqui guy runs all over the empire to send messages. And when we want to fly somewhere, we just get on a condor's back and that's it.

:D
Brandie   Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:44 am GMT
Hmm. I like the way Venezuelans speak Spanish the best, but I can't think of a safe city in Venezuela hahaha.
I'd say Buenos Aires then. It's a beautiful city. You'd really like it.