Best place in Latin America to study Spanish

Guest#   Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:51 pm GMT
I would like to study in a nice, safe, urban area. Can you please give me some suggestions?
Ramiro   Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:13 pm GMT
Ciudad Juárez, México.
Franco   Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:18 pm GMT
Barcelona, Santander, Madrid, Malaga. To Ramiro "are you kidding? That's the same as saying Haiti is the best place to learn French.
Rosquete   Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:27 pm GMT
<<Barcelona, Santander, Madrid, Malaga.>>

He said IN LATIN AMERICA.

I recommend Buenos Aires or Santiago de Chile.
wtf   Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:31 pm GMT
Don't go to Santiago. They speak crazy Spanish, in which they drop final vowels. Mexico's Spanish is superior.
Franco   Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:47 pm GMT
He said IN LATIN AMERICA.

I don't recommend learning Spanish in Latin America. Also if he lives in USA Spain lies closer to him than Argentina or Chile.
GGGuuueeesssttt   Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:48 pm GMT
But Mexico is closer to the US than Spain. *eyeroll*
Rosquete   Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:53 pm GMT
<<Don't go to Santiago. They speak crazy Spanish, in which they drop final vowels. Mexico's Spanish is superior. >>

It's better than the horrible Spanish they speak in Spain, in which they lisp their 'c' and 'z' and use horrible forms like vosotros. Argentine Spanish is superior.
El Flamenco Loco   Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:05 am GMT
I believe THAT is a matter of taste.

Now we all know Caracas isn't a nice place to visit. Though my ignorant self really wonders what the Latin Americas really have to offer.
Red Echelon   Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:05 am GMT
Los Ángeles,Miami,Houston,....etc.
Franco   Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:06 am GMT
But Mexico is closer to the US than Spain. *eyeroll*

Not really if he lives in let's say Maine.
Franco   Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:48 am GMT
I must admit that I'm Spanish and my opinion may be biased, but I honestly think that Spanish spoken in Spain is the best one, specially that in Castile and Leon. It's very elegant and classy. Do you want to hear top quality Spanish? Listen to Concha Velasco. I LOVE her Spanish:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_mcomen7ac
Harman   Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:00 pm GMT
El cenizo, Texas?

He, he, he
Blanco   Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:16 pm GMT
Hmmmm...IMHO the best place to study Spanish in the Americas is Colombia. The accent is the most similar to the European one in Spain. Obviously, the touristic places (Cartagena de Indias) or Bogota are the best place.
Franco   Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:29 pm GMT
But Colombia is not a safe country.