What Romance language sounds more Germanic?

Jm   Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:42 pm GMT
Spanish (for it's harshness)? . Are you sure?. Spanish can be quite soft.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy-zhhQuvks
Baldewin   Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:03 pm GMT
I hear a light French accent in Mireille's German. It actually sounds sexy when she sometimes forget to aspirate her 'h' in my opinion.
***   Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:52 pm GMT
Why is she singing in German?

Judging by some of the looks on the audience's faces, well
greg   Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:10 am GMT
PARISIEN : « Tout ça pour dire que l'émergence des grandes langues nationales au 16e siècle est un phénomène résultant de fermentations initiées longtemps avant. Itou pour l'allemand tel que codifié par Luther ; il a établi définitivement une langue-compromis en germe depuis longtemps et qui pouvait être (plus ou moins) comprise de Vienne à Kiel. »

C'est certain. Il n'en reste pas moins que le groupe arpitan est distinct de celui d'Oïl — français compris. Même chose pour le piedmontais et le lombard vis-à-vis du toscan. Pareil pour le bas-saxon de la région hambourgeoise qui se distingue du groupe comprenant le haut-allemand officiel de la RFA. En d'autres termes, la cohabitation géographique de deux langues apparentées mais distinctes, pour ancienne qu'elle soit, ne permet pas de les ranger dans le même groupe linguistique.
Thor   Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:59 pm GMT
"C'est certain. Il n'en reste pas moins que le groupe arpitan est distinct de celui d'Oïl — français compris. Même chose pour le piedmontais et le lombard vis-à-vis du toscan. Pareil pour le bas-saxon de la région hambourgeoise qui se distingue du groupe comprenant le haut-allemand officiel de la RFA."

Dans les deux premiers cas, on compare des dialectes d'une même langue. Dans le troisième cas, il s'agit déjà de langues différentes (néerlandais et allemand).

"la cohabitation géographique de deux langues apparentées mais distinctes, pour ancienne qu'elle soit, ne permet pas de les ranger dans le même groupe linguistique."

Tout ça repose sur la définition d'une langue et d'un dialecte. C'est une question du même ordre que la différence entre une religion et une secte : question de quantité...

http://www.larousse.fr/encyclopedie/nom-commun-nom/langue/64611

http://www.larousse.fr/encyclopedie/nom-commun-nom/dialecte/43136
Lord Battenhill   Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:38 pm GMT
Thank you, men, women and small children. I think we can all now finally agree that, Italian, Romansch, Walloon, French and Spanish are the most German sounding of the spik langauges.
Franco   Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:49 pm GMT
Italian and Spanish do not sound Germanic at all (God thanks).
Dan   Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:07 pm GMT
Romansch sounds like Brasilian Portuguese with some Italian and German words thrown in. Saying that it sounds German is like saying that Romanian sounds Slavic because it has some words of Slavic origin. It's a flawed argument.

French remains the best candidate. French and English are the odd ones out of their language groups, Romance and Germanic respectively - they sound quite different compared to their peers.
Beguiled   Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:29 pm GMT
"What Romance language sounds more Germanic?"

For me this is the same as:

"What African country is more white?"
or select the most intelligent in a school for the mentally ill.
Beguiled   Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:37 pm GMT
<<<Romansch sounds like Brasilian Portuguese with some Italian and German words thrown in. Saying that it sounds German is like saying that Romanian sounds Slavic because it has some words of Slavic origin. It's a flawed argument. >>>

English sounds like quebecer french with some japanese,quechua and arabic words thrown in. Saying that it sounds German is like saying that afrikaans sounds sino-tibetan because it has some words of chinese origin. It's a flawed argument.

my accuracy is pretty impressive.No?
Franco   Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:37 pm GMT
Italy: 102 IQ

Denmark: 94 IQ
Baldewin   Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:47 pm GMT
You sure they counted Southern Italy along? I would believe this for Padania.
sucklesowsnipple   Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:11 am GMT
The harshest Romance language is Spanish and this is closest to the harshest Germanic language German.

Italian is the overall closest sounding Romance language to a Germanic language i.e. Swedish.

The Romance languages of Romansch, Walloon and French, are neither the closest in terms of harshness or overallness.

Slavic sounding Portuguese is the closest Romance language to the Slavo-Germanic Prussians.
.   Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:50 pm GMT
<<The Romance languages of Romansch, Walloon and French, are neither the closest in terms of harshness or overallness. >>

Which Romance language has the highest percentage of consonants to vowel sounds?

Though this is not necessarily a qualification of "germanicness", this will make it sound similar to the germanic languages, as they typically have high consonant to vowel rates.
Hattori Hanz&#333;   Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:33 pm GMT
Depends if you consider regional or national languages.

For regional languages Romanch and Lombard are the most germanic sounding. For national it's French.