Easiest language in absolute terms?

GuestUser.   Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:36 pm GMT
What is the easiest language to learn in absolute terms, regardless of relation to another language and relative simplicity. I'd have to go with Turkish.
Hans   Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:10 pm GMT
Why English, of course. Especially "American English"...
Franco   Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:27 pm GMT
There is no answer to that question because everybody will find easier those languages related to the one he speaks natively. Only a machine with human-like intelligence could answer that question.
onopocono   Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:11 pm GMT
I'd vote for English.
Baldewin   Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:15 pm GMT
American English. Also because the USA are no real melting pot, but a sum of several communities living next to each other. This makes Americans to not care how you treat their language (which was initially vehicular and second language for everyone not long ago). The entry level is high which makes the step into mastering it a more pleasant step to take indeed.
That, and the fact that it's the most important language and you cannot live one day without hearing it at least once.
Baldewin   Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:25 pm GMT
Language with less cohesion are easier to learn, because the margin of making 'mistakes' people are willing to accept of you is wider, not making them mistakes anymore. Heavily standardized languages are whole different in that regard. You can still speak a structured variant of them anyway and link it to your own community.
français   Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:41 pm GMT
I think spanish,specifically from argentina that is more italian,the easiest language for someone achieve fluency.
Everybody always knows what letters the guy is speaking.When you learn what these joined letters means,you master spanish.
DC   Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:41 pm GMT
S-P-A-N-I-S-H

And we've had this discussion lots of times already.
Guest69   Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:36 pm GMT
I always thought that gramatically in some way english is a bit easier than spanish.
Wht you need for master english?
Have, had,will, and more maybe 10,12 more words?...for you express anything you desire in english,you only need +- 12,15 key words+vocabulary.
Everytime i read something in english i have a sensation of deja vu,looks like the differences in sentences is only the order of words.You have a lot of words that means the same and changes the meaning according to the neighborhood.
Come in, come out, come on... is all basic word+on or out or in or have...

You have only one way of say 'i love you' in english.how many different ways can you say this in Spanish? maybe 7 or 8 depending on the object.

Moreover,spanish is every very easy compared to english phonetically speaking.
Guest69   Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:40 pm GMT
"You have a lot of words that means the same"

sorry, i mean you have one word that have multiple meanings.
Guest69   Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:53 pm GMT
1) The bandage was wound around the wound.
2) The farm was used to produce produce .
3) The dump was so full that it had to refuse refuse.
4) Do the Polish polish their furniture?
5) He could lead if he would get the lead out.
6) The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert.
7) Since there is no time like the present, he thought it was time to present the present.
8) A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum.
9) When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.
10) I did not object to the object.
11) The insurance was invalid for the invalid.
12) There was a row among the oarsmen about how to row.
13) They were too close to the door to close it.
14) A buck certainly does behave oddly when does appear.
15) A seamstress and a sewer fell down into a sewer line.
16) To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow.
17) The wind was too strong to wind the sail.
18) Upon seeing the tear in the painting I shed a tear.
19) I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.
20) How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend?

gramatically,English is the poorest language in the world.
every sentence above can be written by at least 2 different manners in spanish,without repeated words(or else,the range of words is much greater).
Dog   Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:57 pm GMT
<<I always thought that gramatically in some way english is a bit easier than spanish.
Wht you need for master english? >>

I'VE always thought that gramMatically English is IN SOME WAY EASIER than SPANISH.

What DO you need TO master English?

<<Have, had,will, and more maybe 10,12 more words?...for you express anything you desire in english,you only need +- 12,15 key words+vocabulary. >>

For you TO express anything you desire..

<<,Everytime i read something in english i have a sensation of deja vu,looks like the differences in sentences is only the order of words.You have a lot of words that means the same and changes the meaning according to the neighborhood. >>

EVERY TIME I read something in English
IT looks like the differences BETWEEN sentences is only IN the order of THE words.
You have a lot of words that MEAN the same THING, and CHANGE THE MEANING ACCORDING TO WHERE THEY ARE IN THE SENTENCE

<<,You have only one way of say 'i love you' in english.how many different ways can you say this in Spanish? maybe 7 or 8 depending on the object. >>

You have only one way of SAYING

<<Moreover,spanish is every very easy compared to english phonetically speaking.>>

Spanish is VERY easy..

Please, refrain from commenting on what it takes to master English before you've mastered it yourself.
Guest69   Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:51 pm GMT
thx Dog.
Dog showed us another facility of English.
Everyone can write wrong,hardly arises an ambiguity or difficulty in communication.
English is so easy that the own natives can write it right.
Dog   Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:59 pm GMT
<<thx Dog.
Dog showed us another facility of English.
Everyone can write wrong,hardly arises an ambiguity or difficulty in communication.
English is so easy that the own natives can write it right. >>

Dog HAS SHOWN us another EASY THING ABOUT English. Everyone can write WRONGLY, and THERE HARDLY ARISES any ambiguity or difficulty in communication. English is so easy that ... (I didn't understand what you meant here... so much for no difficulties in communication!)

I can write Spanish wrongly too and you'd still understand.

Puedo escribir español mal también y tú endendes. Pero hablas de masterar una idioma, y para masterar una idioma es necesario no hacer NINGUNOS erroraciones. No se puede hablar de la facilitez de una idioma si no puedes escribar diez paginas sin NINGUN ERRORACION! Los angloparlants nos acostumbrado hemos a los erroraciones de los no nativos, pero eso no significar que entendemos todo, simplimente tenemos que guessear. En fin, puedo decir que lo que acabado de escribar es masteración del español?
Baldewin   Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:58 am GMT
Languages evolve, but often not willingly by the elites. It's also how they disintegrate. I encourage making neologisms or new expression anytime. Using 'rester sous son clocher' for instance, is Belgian French which I have read on some a francophone Belgian forum (by someone who has read on his turn on a Flemish forum 'onder zijn kerktoren blijven steken', an idiom mainly used in Flanders). Why not use it, even when a newly formed idiom used by few?
Because of some linguistic paternalism from some institution? Very naive. ;-)