Why do yanks compare American southern accent to English

Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:00 am GMT
As I say, you either hate marmite or you love it to bits and spread it (thinly) on your soldiers along with the butter when you eat your breakfast medium boiled free range egg - assuming you have time in the mornings to do this, especially on weekdays. Personally I adore marmite soldiers, as we call lighty toasted strips of bread spread with butter and marmite, preferably wholemeal or granary soldiers which can be dipped into the egg.

I assume the gentleman in this YT clip is married to a Japanese lady or else the wee bairn is a visitor to England, but apparently marmite is being used here to trace any "Britishness" in him. Flippin' 'eck! What next! I'm not too sure from his reaction whether it is positive or negative, or whether that baby's grimace was due to him being confirmed as English by the man.....I'd have reacted in exactly the same way in that case....... ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWlxxU2tgq4&feature=related
Jasper   Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:33 pm GMT
Damian, my tiny bottle of Marmite is just about empty. There's only one place in town to buy it, and it's exorbitantly expensive here (about 3.9 pounds sterling for the smallest bottle). What's a fellow to do? I'm finding myself liking it so much that I'm licking it off the spoon.

Thank heavens the moderation in this forum is minimal. We might have to put up with the B$$F$$k guy, but we also get to talk about Uriel being a cougar, mountain lions roaming around in LA, and Marmite on toast, a heavenly confection. ;)
Jasper   Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:45 pm GMT
MaidLee:

In the States, regulations require food vendors to post nutritional information on the bottle. According to the Marmite bottle, one serving (1/4 teaspoon) has 200 mg of salt—less than most cans of soda.
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:40 pm GMT
Jasper - here in the UK jars of marmite abound everywhere in practically all food stores and come in several sizes....the one I have in my hand now is the 500g size and among all the other nutritional information endlessly listed on the label I see that the salt content is proportionately the same as that listed on yours Anyone who is sufficiently paranoid to study all the nutritional and constituent content and healthy eating options on the packaging of each and every food item before purchase would need to set aside quite a large chunk of the day in order to complete the shopping.

Here in the UK a system of colour coding goes quite a long way to cut down on time spent in selecting the healthier options for those with limited time available in the supermarkets and stores, especially with regard to things like fat and salt content, salt of course being quite vital - it is often called the "silent killer" is it not, which is a pity as it does add flavour.

As I've said before, marmite needs to be spread quite thinly, as too much of it can be a bit overwhelming - so I don't think that the lovely Maid Lee needs to worry too much about the salt content of the average helping of marmite, which, incidentally, is not that cheap here in the UK either. According to the Tesco On Line service (Tesco being one of the largest chain of supermarkets here in the UK, and according to some people too prolific and too all powerful and influential with a store in most towns and in cities one in nearly every street, be it a huge supermarket selling everything or just a Tesco Express quick buy and quick self service convenience store selling mostly the essentials) this 500g jar of the sticky stuff which you either love or loathe costs £4.29 - so cheap it ain't, but really tasty in my opinion. According to a range of different recipes obtainable on-line, some sounding really weird but at least adventurous, with the ubiquitous lad from Essex - Jamie Oliver - featuring in many of them, marmite can be amazingly adaptable, adding additional flavouring to many savoury dishes. As I said, it's great spread sparingly on top of a Welsh rarebit, which is basically a slice of bread topped with slices of cheese (preferably cheddar) sliced onion and tomato and placed under a grill after which a wee bit of torn basil leaves and seasoning is scattered onto the bubbling topping. It's great with a huge mug of steaming hot tea while listening to "Just a Minute" on BBC Radio 4 or tackling a sudoku in the Times or watching "University Challenge" on BBC 2 TV with the tetchy Jeremy Paxman who, like marmite itself, you can either love or loathe - for many people it's the latter in Jeremy's case...he really does come into his own hosting BBC 2 TV's "Newsnight"....at least he has an excellent command of English - most of the time.

Guid nicht.
Uriel   Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:34 am GMT
Now, why is toast referred to as "soldiers"?
Quintus   Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:04 am GMT
Uriel, it's because the strips of toasted bread, when cut up for dipping or spreading, look like so many uniformed soldiers lined up on parade, as though squared off with their bearskin hats and their regimental boots.

There is a similar idea with empty bottles being called "dead soldiers", in that they are set aside all in a row on the table. (When tossed overboard a boat, however, they tend to float and are then sometimes known as "dead marines" - the jesting explanation being that "Their spirits have left them".)

~Quintus~
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:15 am GMT
Soldiers are an essential part of a British boiled egg breakfast scenario....it's up to you whether you have your soldiers toasted before you have them lying flat on their backs on your plate or have them standing upright on parade in a toastrack....either way the entire batallion will end up being dipped into the egg yolk one by one prior to consumption.

My favourite soldiers are either those from the Wholemeal brigade or those from the Granary brigade.....but they have to be absolutely as fresh as possible...stale soldiers are a wee bit of a turn off. It also helps if your egg is free range in the first place....my mum gets all of her eggs from a local farmers' market.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4_9NUAV3zs&feature=related
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:19 am GMT
Isn't that just one amazing West Indian / Caribbean accent? He sounds just like one of the guys on a fresh farm produce stall on the famous Borough market close to London's South Bank, which must be one of the most amazing produce markets in the whole of the UK.
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:34 am GMT
Borough Market, London SE! - nearest tube station is London Bridge on the Jubilee line. If you ask for something special in the food line at any of the stalls in Borough market and they say they don't have such a thing then chances are it doesn't exist at all and it's probably a figment of your imagination anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gHwrzuYxuQ
Uriel   Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:23 am GMT
Hmm. I like my toast with jelly or, better yet, preserves, and don't like my eggs runny -- when I eat eggs at all. So no dipping for me. Although I do like a fried egg sandwich with mayo and sliced dill pickle. Mmmmm. May have to go buy some eggs....
Quintus   Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:27 am GMT
Try a fried egg on toasted caraway rye - divine !
Uriel   Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:18 am GMT
I'll have to make do with pumpernickel rye, which is what I bought.
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:03 pm GMT
Jelly...here in the UK a jelly is a fruit flavoured wobbly desert made out of some kind of gelatin substance which is dissolved in a measured amount of boiling water and then allowed to set as it cools off. It often forms the base of what we call a fruit trifle......a set jelly base, usually raspberry flavour but you can select any flavour you fancy...topped with trifle sponges scattered with fruit of your choice and then topped with custard and whipped cream (sometimes you can soak those trifle sponges with sweet sherry beforehand if you like in which case it becomes a sherry trifle strong enough to bring a rosy bloom to the cheeks of sedate old ladies partaking of the trifle at a Morningside afternoon tea party.

I think that what you call jelly we call marmalade, or perhaps just jam....any fruit conserve, marmalade being the variety made from oranges, of which Seville oranges are the most favoured.

The Scottish city of Dundee is famous for its marmalade, of any variety...fine or thick shred, chunky or smooth...at breakfast spread on hot wholemeal toast, a nice change from the much maligned marmite....

My mum sometimes uses buttered croissants instead of buttered bread when making bread and butter pudding, and in addition to demerara sugar and dried fruits she spreads chunks of thick cut marmalade on the croissants before she pours on the egg custard prior to baking.....it's absolutely delicious.
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:15 pm GMT
As I said before there is currently a full scale General Election campaign in operation here in the UK and as I previously displayed a YT broadcast on behalf of the Hate Marmite Party it is only fair and even handed to give publicity to an opposing viewpoint...this is, after all, a Democracy giving full rights to all kinds of political beliefs and creeds, whatever they may be.

So to balance out the Marmite thingumybobs, here is an Election Broadcast given by the Love Marmite Party.......the mind really boggles as to what might happen if either Marmite Party, be they the Haters or the Lovers, actually gains an overall majority in the Westminster Parliament after the sixth of May.....

You know in your hearts that this is all a wee bit of fun, don't you.....neither Marmite Party will win one single seat anywhere in the UK...not even in Glasgow....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9tELrisd1M
Uriel   Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:06 am GMT
Here's how it breaks down in the US:

Jelly: clear, smooth, made from fruit juice and pectin
Jam or preserves: chunky, made from juice, crushed fruit, and pectin
Marmalade: same thing made from citrus peel
Gelatin: British "jelly", commonly known by the brand name "Jell-O"