Weird report on TV5

Guest!   Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:22 am GMT
They showed how in South Africa, there's a program for the salespeople and artisans of a coastal tourist town that allows them to learn basic French (or Portuguese) that would allow them to communicate with francophone tourists. But, ummm, I'd expect French tourists wealthy enough to travel there to be able to know at least some basic English (colors, cost questions, numbers)! Same goes for the Portuguese-speaking travelers... Or is this supposed to a hospitality thing, as in Egypt, where the vendors will speak to you in 50 languages?
Paul   Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:18 am GMT
<<They showed how in South Africa, there's a program for the salespeople and artisans of a coastal tourist town that allows them to learn basic French (or Portuguese) that would allow them to communicate with francophone tourists. But, ummm, I'd expect French tourists wealthy enough to travel there to be able to know at least some basic English (colors, cost questions, numbers)!>>

You'd be suprised. I worked at an international airport for two years, and the french tourists were LOST. Absolutely lost! It was bizarre, and hilarious at times.

They know NOTHING - Not "hello", "goodbye"...nothing. They just walk up to people and start speaking french, and when its clear that nobody understands them, they speak louder and slower...in french, and make wild hand motions (as if that would help.)

All stereotypes about them are true.
Gast   Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:19 am GMT
You mean, many French are just as ridiculous as virtually every American tourist?
Paul   Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:05 am GMT
<<many French are just as ridiculous as virtually every American tourist? >>

Yeah pretty much...except I would say MOST of the french tourists, and not just "many"....

They FAIL at english, or don't even try. They couldn't even READ much english. Francophone employees were in much demand, to assist the frenchies, who would otherwise be hopeless. The ones that had a problem, would run around frantically looking for a french speaking airport employee to help them. Even the Asian tourists (Koreans, Chinese, Japanese) tended to have more english skills than the french.
Baldewin   Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:29 pm GMT
Portuguese often know English, Spanish, etc... Brazillians probably demand knowledge of their language. I don't understand why serous tourist don't learn a few words in the native tongue.
James   Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:24 pm GMT
It is because South Africa is generally a very friendly country. South Africans go out of their way to make foreign travellers feel welcome. If that means learning a bit of basic French, Portuguese, Spanish etc they will do it.

I have never met so many nice people in my whole life as in South Afria. You can go to any shop, mall, restaurant and you will see people serving you with a smile.

Even the pertol stations (garages) you don't even have to get out of your car to fill up, they have petrol attendants there ready to fill it up for you and wash and clean your windows while you are sitting in your car.

They also have so many good restaurants there and the food portions are generally LARGER.

Generallly the people are always smiling aswell. They tend to enjoy life more. They have summer for like 9 months of the year and the country has so many beautiful beaches, wildlife gamefarms, winelands etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tubZE-i05Dk